Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Frio pouches, just Google for more info :)

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
You can buy these VAT free as a Diabetic from http://www.medicalshop.co.uk
Freephone 0800 731 6959 .

I have 2 [two] large frio wallets . [red/black ones]
They hold my pens and spare cartridges plus my eye drops too
Cost me £15 each plus a travelsized yellow sharps bin and also a pack of Gluco tabs included .
If you buy as a travel pack it works out much cheaper with over 20% savings :thumbup:

These frio wallets ARE amazing a superb product and invention to keep things 'cool'
All you have to do is pre-soak one in cold water - this activates the gel crystals inside the wallet .
It DOES keep the wallet and contents inside 'COOL'
I wouldn't ever use anything but these 'now' :)

Hope this can help 'folk' during this heat spell we are having .

Anna .

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
They're great here in the uk. I've been using mine while out and about in the recent hear

Abroad though I didn't find they worked as well. Definite improvement on having no fridge at all though! But I think the intensity of the heat abroad was no match for it

tiffblue18

def not safe to let your insulin get hot it can cause it to expire quicker. everyone here is right they make tons of cases for them. you can even loook on the JDRF website or american diabetes association website they sell them there and in different sizes and styles for whatever might suit you better. until you get one i used to take a snack baggie and fill it with ice and then put it in two more larger baggies so no leaks happen and just throw the pens in the outside bag. keeps it pretty cool for school or work as a temp fix

H

Hooked

I've ordered a duo one in my fav colour, purple. :eek:)

My BG Monitor decided it was too hot to work this evening. A little time in a cool cupboard sorted it out thank heavens!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Swankypants77

Hi. This bag, Frio sounds good. I might have to buy one for my trip to Scotland on holiday soon.

Just one question.
My insulin cartridge says it needs to be stored in fridge between 2-8c if not in use, and stored room temp if in use.

Will the bag be cool enough for unused cartridge during trip and can I put it back in fridge again when I'm back home if I didn't need to use that cartridge?
Also can I use a used pen with used cartridge in that bag? Not too cold for used pen?

Does Novopen echo fit in?

Sorry for a possibly minor questions.
Thanks

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Swankypants77 said:
Hi. This bag, Frio sounds good. I might have to buy one for my trip to Scotland on holiday soon.

Just one question.
My insulin cartridge says it needs to be stored in fridge between 2-8c if not in use, and stored room temp if in use.

Will the bag be cool enough for unused cartridge during trip and can I put it back in fridge again when I'm back home if I didn't need to use that cartridge?
Also can I use a used pen with used cartridge in that bag? Not too cold for used pen?

Does Novopen echo fit in?

Sorry for a possibly minor questions.
Thanks

Yup, my bag (the duo) fits a novopen, a novopen echo and 2 spare cartridges. I used it for a week in Tenerife (you have to re-wet it periodically) with no issues

Swankypants77

Thanks, Hale.
Ok, I think I'll go for duo as well. I need to put one lantus pen, novoecho pen, and a couple of spare cartridges.
So you didn't have any issue putting unopened cartridge back in fridge once you're back home?

Sounds really good. I'll order one today.

Thanks

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No it was fine. Like I said, it's not as good as i had hoped and it's a pain re-soaking it etc. but it does work essentially.

My levemir went back in the fridge, but I made a point of ensuring that was the cartridge I used next!

Personally I find it works better for the insulin currently in use, but it is a great improvement on no cooling facility at all

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Welshwitch said:
I've got an insulin pump any ideas how to keep the insulin in it cool?

I'm pretty sure frio do a similar pump pouch

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Welshwitch said:
I've got an insulin pump any ideas how to keep the insulin in it cool?

Hi Welshwitch

There are insulin pump pouch wallets with space to store the insulin [spares] too :thumbup:
They are a reasonable price too £14.40 :)

Hope this can help .

Anna .

keebie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I just use a strong glasses case, just the right size for insulin pens and needles, seems to do the trick with no problems. :D

H

Hooked

My Frio duo wallet arrived today. I'm really happy with it. Keeps insulin pens currently in use cool, but not too cold. (I've been told by the DSN not to use insulin straight from the fridge as it doesn't work as effectively.)

Delighted with the new wallet. Thank you everyone for the advice! :D

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
This weekend the weather is supposed to get even hotter :thumbdown:

I will be soaking my frio wallet and placing my pens [currently using] into it .
As even the coolest cupboard is becoming too warm now ...

Find I 'can' still use my pens WITHOUT any stinging shots :thumbup:
It will only sting when straight out of a fridge without room temperature settlement .
Rooms are too warm here - my home faces SOUTH full on !!!

Hooked - glad you are delighted with your new wallet :)

Anna .