Last night's tv

sparkyrich

Did anyone see the programme at nine last night about the liquid diet? It was about a couple of guys who stopped eating "normal" food and just drank fruit/vegetable drinks that they made using a juicer. The weight loss was incredible - as was their apparent health gains, both of them coming off a range of tablets that made Boots look empty lol!
Worth a dabble or just good telly?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

eccles100

last nights tv

HI ONE AND ALL!

I am a new user, but just wondered if there was anyone who had seen the programme on Channel 5 last night about Joe Cross and his 'novel' approach to dieting. While extreme, it did seem to work - although only on himself and one other as far as the programme was concerned!

Is there anyone who has experience of the plant based, liquid only approach that he was talking about? And what are it's implications for Type 2 diabetics?

I lok forward to receiving your comments!

Eccles100

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hello Eccles100 .

I have merged your post onto this same topic related thread .
It is best placed here given the last nights tv programme you watched .

Hope you get some replies soon. :)

Anna .

Elc1112

Hiya. I didn't see it but I have tried the whole juicing thing before. I did it to lose a few pounds before a wedding. Hard work but I did see results. The first few days were awful and I was so, so irritable. It got a bit easier after that but it was definitely far from easy. I did a juice for breakfast, juice for dinner and a sensible dinner.

I bought a Jason Vale juicer. It came with a free book full of recipes. It didn't cost too much and has lasted me well. You can buy some ready made juices. Some tent do be crammed full of sugars but there are some good options out there too. A lot easier that juicing at home or if you're in a rush.

Em x

zolabud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Whelks,winkles... All crustaceous seafood except prawns. Can't do crab.lobster or scallops.
Don't like the way they are killed and cooked. Save our Scallops. SOS !!!
Also HATE evaporated milk.
I watched it earlier in the week on Channel 5 and I was mightily impressed.

Here is the thread I started and its replies....

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=44584

I subscribed to Which for one month at the cost of £7. This last 1 month and as long as I cancel at the right time I won't get charged anymore.
Specifically to see what Which reckoned were the best juicers and to read all the reviews.

I am in 2 minds whether it's worth spending a lot or a little... The programme was promoting Heston Blumenthal's Sage juicer which is a bit pricey but the folk on the Which site said although it was a good machine it did have its faults.

I am going down the cheaper route and found one on the Argos website for about £25 which gets good reviews.

It is debatable to whether juicing suits diabetics. See the various answers in my thread.....

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I saw it
I don't much care for juiced veggies myself and my juicer [which I use in jam making for my grandchildren!], removes the pulp and fibre. I wonder how they kept their colons healthy. the weight loss was impressive though.
Hana

eveshamgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The thing is they didn't just change their diet to juices. They upped their exercise massively as well.

I couldnt live on juice alone and it would be interesting to sideshow they faired once they moved back on to solid foods. The Aussie bloke did during the programme I think bit was eating macro nutrient foods bit we sisnt see much of him after he did that...... Cynical, Moi???? Lol

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
For us that work from home, I saw him on the Wright show, he still looks good.

SewK8

I have started this today. Am using my smoothie maker for the 1st few days to see if I can cope with it. If all goes well I will invest on a proper juicer as the smoothie make leaves loads of sludge and not much juice.

I really hope it helps my weight loss and diabetes as I have 3stone to shift that I have gained through other health issues.

Anyone else trying it? The juice I had for breakfast was really nice, orange, carrot and ginger!

Kat.

LittleWolf

I'd worry about the amount of sugars being ingested with all that juice but at the same time isn't a slice of toast just as bad... Well, just about everything is loaded with sugar these days.

What about nut smoothies... Wait, doesn't protein get converted to glucose too? Ugh

I recommend the Magic Bullet or budget versions of it for juicing, chopping and even making breadcrumbs (bread is bad I know). What's good is you take the entire container off of the base which contains the interchangeable blades and can screw a lid straight on for storage or carrying around. Also some of the containers have handles to drink/pour from and colored rings so you can tell different containers apart.

You can never get too much exercise. Think after the results of my 10 mile hike (a week of low readings) I might have to try doing that every other week.