Can't swallow

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok so I've just had my tonsils out etc. hurts like nothing on earth!

BG is 4.9, need to try and get something down me before bed but it's just so sore to swallow. Tried a little orange juice but I know that won't sustain me through the night. Plus the acidity of it was so painful!

Last QA was 7 hours ago so I shouldn't be majorly dropping, but I would still prefer to be higher before bed!

I don't expect anyone to have a solution, it's just so painful that I don't know what to do. This would be tough enough without the diabetes :(

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I'm currently having nesquik, it's still like razors though.

The surgeon slit the corners of my mouth also so I look like the joker, and they're incredibly painful. Makes it harder to open my mouth to even get food in! Most things are coming via a straw!

Netty70

hale710 said:
Yes I'm currently having nesquik, it's still like razors though.

The surgeon slit the corners of my mouth also so I look like the joker, and they're incredibly painful. Makes it harder to open my mouth to even get food in! Most things are coming via a straw!

Hope you got through the night ok sounds painful :-(
Get well soon :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

lynde89

Have you tried yogurt? Even the drinking ones? Might be able to mix it with some other bits or make a smoothie with it? Just so it's more like a 'meal'. I had mine out at 7, but don't remember to much of what I ate after apart from all the ice cream & jelly they gave me, sorry!!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
hale710 said:
Ok so I've just had my tonsils out etc. hurts like nothing on earth!

BG is 4.9, need to try and get something down me before bed but it's just so sore to swallow. Tried a little orange juice but I know that won't sustain me through the night. Plus the acidity of it was so painful!

Last QA was 7 hours ago so I shouldn't be majorly dropping, but I would still prefer to be higher before bed!

I don't expect anyone to have a solution, it's just so painful that I don't know what to do. This would be tough enough without the diabetes :(

Sorry to hear of youf pain. After oprerations or other painful medica conditions it may be days after when pain kicks in. You could try a yogurt drink with the live cultures. But please see your GP if it continues. Wishing you a speedy recovery and take care. All the best RRB

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the sympathy! Surgery was 5 days ago now so I had hoped to be feeling better by now!

I'm lucky that my best friend is a doctor, and my brother a medical student. They both say my recovery is being slower than usual, but there are no issues and just to continue.

Smoothies etc are all off the menu apparently. I'm meant to be on toast as it helps the healing....... I'm trying every day because I know I have to but wow I've never felt anything like it!

It just frustrates me that when all I wanted to do was get to bed and sleep that I had to stay up and find something more to eat. Ah the joys of diabetes!

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hypos seem to be a recurring theme now.

I usually take 2 or 3 units of levemir a night depending on activity levels..... Yesterday I only took 1. I also didnt take any Novorapid despite eating throughout the day. Worked out at around 40-50g carb I had.

I was still 7.3 before bed and 3.8 this morning. It's impossible to keep it up!

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
hi hale sorry your poorly :( this will sound bananas but the wives tale around when I was younger was eat crisps I knoiw sounds daft but according to the old wives it gets rid of the crusty stuff
good luck and hope you feel better soon x

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Andy12345 said:
hi hale sorry your poorly :( this will sound bananas but the wives tale around when I was younger was eat crisps I knoiw sounds daft but according to the old wives it gets rid of the crusty stuff
good luck and hope you feel better soon x

Toast was advised, took me an hour to manage a half slice yesterday. I was in tears by the end!

Dusty2000

Dislikes
Rudeness. Arrogance. Tuna. Fish with a face. Eggs.
Hi
G had mine out as a teenager and the pain was awful. Weirdly I was told to eat more solid food and not things like ice cream soup yogurt etc. Reason being that those things are liquid and spread into the wound more. So I ate cereal and more bread like things and did find it better. More carb but hopefully less painful. Hope it gets better soon

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dusty2000 said:
Hi
G had mine out as a teenager and the pain was awful. Weirdly I was told to eat more solid food and not things like ice cream soup yogurt etc. Reason being that those things are liquid and spread into the wound more. So I ate cereal and more bread like things and did find it better. More carb but hopefully less painful. Hope it gets better soon

Yup the same was said for me. I don't low carb so it doesn't matter what the food was!

I was actually re-admitted to hospital at about midnight last night with a pretty severe bleed. Funny thing is I now feel 100% better! The pain had been steadily increasing and it seemed the bleed released the pressure.

Back home now and managing to eat as normal. Just enjoyed some cheese scones :)