Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
desidiabulum said:
the_anticarb said:
Prob not MODY this tends to strike before age 25

Not necessarily -- I was diagnosed MODY at 47. :D

Absolutely! age and statistics aren't the be all and end all when it comes to a diagnosis eh Desi?

Best wishes

Paul

desidiabulum

paul-1976 said:
desidiabulum said:
the_anticarb said:

Absolutely! age and statistics aren't the be all and end all when it comes to a diagnosis eh Desi?

Best wishes

Paul

Too right -- and great to get diabetes OF THE YOUNG in your 40s! Sugared the pill a bit, anyway.... :thumbup:

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Oooh this is when Diabetes gets confusing isn't it . :crazy:

There appears to be no specific settings or age factor within the various types of diabetes .

Even I get quite frazzled/baffled and confused with all the variants on Diagnosis markers with us all .

I am now seriously wondering about the need for more and better education for us all .
This is something the government could/should look into for our future .

More/much improved education and access to it - is sorely needed within the NHS .
As with better education and proper facts given - comes better understanding and self management .
More understanding presents and gives us more confidence within ourselves .
More confidence gives a stronger/better sense of coping with a highly complex unpredictable condition .
Such as Diabetes can be often and many times over in our daily lives .

These are just my own thoughts here - I must stress .

Anna .

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
mcdonagh47 said:
Ambersilva said:
I believe it is true that there was nothing beforehand.

I was diagnosed Type 1 at the age of 63. There was a build up for about six weeks beforehand where I felt absolutely dreadful. I couldn't manage a dozen stairs without stopping halfway.

she lost two stone in weight and media alleged she was slimming for a leadership bid - no it was diabetes.

she was diagnosed as Type 2 last year but that was changed on further tests.

No doubt she got the best possible diet advice from DUK, & that 50% carb diet aggravated her condition.

2 injections a day? For T1 ? How many of you T1s manage satisfactory control on 2 injections ?

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I got T1 at 52, presented to the doctors with DKA because I ignored symptoms. I thought If I had anything then it had to T2 and everything I read said that one had to lose weight and exercise and eat a healthy diet. Well I was doing that . I became very thin in 2 episodes of weight loss, the in the few months before diagnosis. I managed to rationalise the other symptoms. (actually I quite liked being very thin)
This was over 8 years ago and at diagnosis had had some form of symptoms for about 3 years. Where ever I looked there was no mention of LADA or slowly progressive autoimmune diabetes . Adults got T2 and children and young people got T1. As far as I know there is still nothing about on the Diabetes UK (charity) website.
My ignorance was also the flipside of all the publicity of T2 being associated with obesity. (too old to get T1, too thin to get T2... and if I did have T2 then I was doing all the right things).
I was lucky in that I survived relatively unscathed, Lee's story here shows how ignorance of the symptoms can have devastating consequences.
http://www.malehealth.co.uk/pancreas/19 ... -killed-me
Perhaps Theresa May's story may help other people avoid this scenario.

borderter

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes! Celebrities and curry
Just wish there was an automatic right to know which type it is
Asked consultant who shouted at me "if you were type 1 you would be on the floor" I am slim with good diet and excercise and always so but need insulin nothing else works .If diagnosed type 1 it opens many more doors ie pump and no hassle for strips etc and best of all would lose the label of being fat lazy and greedy which is how lots of folk look at type 2

benjygirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
disrespectful people
I have always been on at least 4 injections a day since being diagnosed Type 1. Perhaps she only eats 2 meals a day :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

hornplayer

Isn't that the truth!

Obviously, all sympathy to anyone diagnosed with anything, but, with all the publicity and comments like "fat lazy porker" being out there, I shouldn't imagine anyone in the public eye is going to want to admit to being T2.

I don't think that weight loss is necessarily a sign of T1. - as an undiagnosed diabetic, I gained a lot of weight, which I put down to an injury. Since diagnosis, and starting treatment at the start of May, I have, - effortlessly -lost two and a half stone. - unheard of for me! Maybe my lifelong battle to keep my weight down was actually a sign that I'm something more socially acceptable than a T2?

Which ever form of diabetes the lady has, I wish her well. - maybe she'd like to join the forum? It would certainly help hone her debating skills!

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
hornplayer said:
Which ever form of diabetes the lady has, I wish her well. - maybe she'd like to join the forum? It would certainly help hone her debating skills!
:clap: :thumbup:

Gwilo

I'll wager a fiver right now that even though someone in authority has come out and said they have the same condition as many of us, this MP will have no problems in getting free strips, lancets etc....but there will be no change in the treatment of those of us battling tfor the same....

H

Hooked

hornplayer said:
Isn't that the truth!

Obviously, all sympathy to anyone diagnosed with anything, but, with all the publicity and comments like "fat lazy porker" being out there, I shouldn't imagine anyone in the public eye is going to want to admit to being T2.

But in general, people of that opinion don't know a blind bit of difference between T1 and T2 so would have an adult diabetic labelled a "fat lazy porker" regardless. :wink:

The whole "shocking illness" thing on it is just media spin. Of course it comes as a gunk to anyone diagnosed with any type of diabetes and it takes time to adjust to it.

Her having diabetes won't do anything really for diabetics in the UK, no more than David Blunkett being blind helped the visually impaired. I don't see why anyone would expect Theresa May's personal journey with diabetes to improve theirs in any way. She's just another working woman who happens to have diabetes.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
IanD said:
2 injections a day? For T1 ? How many of you T1s manage satisfactory control on 2 injections ?

There are members on here who are on twice daily injections and have good control, MDI isn't for everyone!!!

I think nowadays they do try and put type 1's straight onto MDI although they do still put patients on twice daily if they have concerns about injecting or do not wish to multi-dose in the initial stages of their diabetes , once they are established they then have the option to move over MDI, even years after MDI was first introduced they still put patients onto twice daily injections to begin with to allow them to adjust to the changes in their life.

Also twice daily injections is often the preferred method with children,their parents and HCP's, fixed doses and set meal-times can be more manageable when a child is in school for example.

damonfrog

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Why are some type 1s having trouble getting free strips and lancets etc? Surely everyone should be getting free prescriptions?!! Does it depend where u live? Xxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
desidiabulum said:
the_anticarb said:

There you go then, Diabetes is Confusing . Com :?

I'm type 1 and I lost weight dramatically from 8st 9 lb to 7st 1 lb , before being diagnosed ( this was in 1989) also I was nearly on the floor, as a member put it, carted off to hospital and stayed there for a week.

Mine was very sudden, dramatic and if an ambulance wasn't called, then it would of been life threatening. Back then it was just Type 1 and Type 2 that people knew of(that was what I was told then).

Whatever type it is, she will I'm sure, like the rest of us, come to terms with it and just get on with the daily activities. She is after all, not unique in getting this medical condition and I'm sure there must be a few more MP's with the condition as well.

Best wishes RRB