sick child - not eating need help

donnamum

Sorry havent been in touch laterly, but bin trying to not let diabetes take over our lives so much.

Daughter type 1. Has the flu, not eaten much all day, high temp, missed evening nova rapid as she hadn't eatern but hospital told be to give correction if levels high. really worried because she is very insulin sensative, and she cant keep any food down so would find it difficult to treat hypo. Had 200ml fuit juice about 30min ago. normally has about 30grammes carbs for supper. keto 0.5.

any ideas

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Would she be able to handle a fruit smoothie? You could keep one in the fridge. Number 1 priority is the BG and making sure she doesn't dehydrate. If she does , get her to the hospital fast and they'll get her on a drip. ( worst case scenario)

lilibet

What about ice cream? Sugary but creamy/fattening so wont hit blood as fast. Little and often?

I was told if ill but worried about hypos then teaspoon of sugar juice every 10 mins or so. Did query how on gods name you would manage this if unwell, but..............

Hope she is ok. Am very very worried about first 'sick day', not least cause on premixed insulin and dont have luxury to correct.

Hope things work out

caitycakes1

I too am very worried about first sick day. I seem to be surrounded at the office by people coughing and spluttering all over the place. All three of my kids have also had a nasty heavy cold, sore throat etc. On pre-mix as well but I have vials of fast-acting Humalog so if worst comes to worst I can always correct but I am really nervous of using the stuff.

Caitycakes x

suzi

Dislikes
people who are rude and ignorant, and people who have no patience in queues.
Hi Donna,
My 10yr old had a virus last year where his bs kept dropping and he couldn't keep anything down, we struggled for 3hrs, he was exhausted. Finally to give him the fluids he needed, and to stabilize his blood sugar, we decided a trip to the kiddies ward at the local hospital was called for. Phoned ahead and explained via the childrens diabetese hot line that they have, and was told to bring him in. They gave him an anti sickness injection and put him on a slow glucose drip, he had a 5hr stay in hospital. If your really worried just give the hospital a ring and explain your concerns, and they may advise a wee trip to see them, just to check her out.
Suzi x

donnamum

thank for replys.

Spent all night on phone to hospital and most of today. we did try icecream, and fruit juice but nothing stayed down. Ketones remain 0.3. bg very high 19.9 but she has kept down two bowls of cereal. So fingers crossed.

lionrampant

You're actually very fortunate she's on a basal bolus regime. Back in the hey-day of mixed insulins we had to stir lucozade until it went flat and drink that as a partial replacement for meals if we were too ill to eat properly.

Man I hated regular lucozade after that hospital stay!