ex brit living abroad

jeffrey1964

Dislikes
Medication, Diabetes and associated health problems, Hospital food
Hi All,
im finding it very difficult coping with diabetes whilst in Holland, if you don't take insulin here you have too buy everything from the chemist(apotheek), which i find very strange has i am used too getting my things for free in the uk. But besides all that my doctor and nurse have been excellent in getting my diabetes settled and my diabetic related health problems sorted :D .
I would like too take this opportunity too say HAVE A MERRY CHRISTMAS....and a HAPPY NEW YEAR :D . And please dont overdo the alcohol and food and be happy.....bye for now.....tot ziens

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
If we don't get prescribed medicines here we have to pay as well!Although I can get test strips on prescription I still have to pay the prescription charge for them.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
May I suggest the low carb approach to yu, it has the advantage of cosing nothing
Happy christmas
Hana

Cameraman

Dislikes
Rude or ignorant people
jeffrey1964 said:
i am used too getting my things for free in the uk.

What part of the UK? Nowts for nowt where I come from, even the air I breathe is taxed. :twisted:

candyrel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
loathe cheese and yoghurt, spinach, rhubarb and apricots
jeffrey1964 said:
Hi All,
im finding it very difficult coping with diabetes whilst in Holland, if you don't take insulin here you have too buy everything from the chemist(apotheek), which i find very strange has i am used too getting my things for free in the uk. But besides all that my doctor and nurse have been excellent in getting my diabetes settled and my diabetic related health problems sorted :D .
I would like too take this opportunity too say HAVE A MERRY CHRISTMAS....and a HAPPY NEW YEAR :D . And please dont overdo the alcohol and food and be happy.....bye for now.....tot ziens

Hoi Jeffrey hoe gaat het met je. Ik heb ook een tijdje in Nederland gewoont. Waar in Nederland ben je? Heb je ook gooie ziekte verzekering? Het is well duur per maand maar je moet het wel hebben.
alle beste wensen voor die komende veest dagen.

dooie

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
candyrel said:
jeffrey1964 said:
Hi All,

Hoi Jeffrey hoe gaat het met je. Ik heb ook een tijdje in Nederland gewoont. Waar in Nederland ben je? Heb je ook gooie ziekte verzekering? Het is well duur per maand maar je moet het wel hebben.
alle beste wensen voor die komende veest dagen.

dooie

Oh who's a little show off then!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thirsty

Cameraman, are you taking any medication for diabetes? If so, you're entitled to get all your prescriptions free of charge.

Linky

malky

I think what cameraman is getting at is that the prescriptions my be free of charge but you still pay tax and national insurance, if you work, so you still pay for them in a way, i agree it is frre compared to other countries

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Everyone gets free prescriptions in Wales,in Scotland we pay £5 per item and it is supposed to be going free at some point.Not sure about England ,it being foreign territory! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thirsty

Sue, don't hold your breath. There are already political rumblings about the Barnett Formula, which provides significantly more spending per head in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland than in England.

Add to that the current state of the economy, (the UK is effectively bankrupt), and you can expect to see some very unpleasant changes in the near future.

Just saying...

candyrel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
loathe cheese and yoghurt, spinach, rhubarb and apricots
In Holland you have to buy health insurance and you have to tailor it to your needs.
This will also include hospital stay etc. Prescription charges come on top of that.

jeffrey1964

Dislikes
Medication, Diabetes and associated health problems, Hospital food
thanks everyone fr your replies, i know that it is not totally free in the uk.....but my health insurance here is what wecall high(250 euro per month...aprox 320 quid), this is why i find it difficult too cope....also now i am on insulin i get it paid by my insurance where as if you are takin oral meds they nly cover some of the costs

Jimbo1973

Dislikes
Beetroot, Cucumber, Radish, Prawns - and arrogant people that have no understanding of how ill you can really be without looking ill
sugarless sue said:
If we don't get prescribed medicines here we have to pay as well!Although I can get test strips on prescription I still have to pay the prescription charge for them.

Why Sue ?
As a Diabetic, ALL your prescriptions are free !! - I only found this out when I went to the chemist for something and he advised me this was the case - I now have a valid Medical Exemption Certificate which allows me free prescriptions for life (or until I get better )

Jim

Sorry Sue - just realised your in Scotland hun - teach me to read all the thread before replying huh !!

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Lets all be grateful we're not in the USA
Hana

cavelioness

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I am always grateful that I am not living inthe U.S.A