the secret!

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I have a permanent ongoing battle with weight. I haven't lost a serious amount in the last year. previous to that, I'd lost about 3 stones. I could do with losing another 2.
Now I think I have the secret. Eat almost nothing. I was already only eaing a proper meal once a day. And NO! eating more DOESN'T help.Neither do slimming clubs. Believe me I've tried it all. EVEN shakes!
About a week ago, My 95 year old mother suffered a fall and broke 2 metatarsals. She's in hospital in Bedford. I live in Reading. I can't stay in Mother's house all the time, bcause I've responsibilities here, so I've done several day trips. Driving back in foul weather last time.I also have a smashed driver's door mirror, where an idiot speeder hit it on a bend half a mile from home. I now know about Halford's stick on temporary repair mirrors, but the motor is mashed too. I have a booking for a replacement at the cost of over £200 on Wednesday afternoon.
Anyway, I haven't had time to eat much, having tidied and cleaned my Mother's house preparatory to her return home. I have eaten mixed salads in the hospital restaurant and pretty much nothing else for a couple of days and lost about 2kg. I'm keeping to the eat very little[even less than my usual] regime for now. I will make another day trip up on Thursday. I can't go before then.
by the way, Bedord Hospital has an award winning restaurant. It's well deserved.
Hana

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
errrm im not sure that diet would be for me hehe, I know you know that cant be the way to go, I am no expert but there must be some nutrients missing that you probly need for other things, but as I say im no expert :) gratz on the 2 kg im sorry to hear about your mum :( , maybe you could write a book called "the too busy to eat diet plan" or "lose weight or die trying" no I got it " lose weight from you and your car" you could make a million :) lol just playing, good luck :)

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
"Eating almost nothing" will probably continue to remain a secret. If it works for you, brilliant, not sure if it will catch on though !
Mo

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Can't see it catching on :D

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
hanadr said:
I have a permanent ongoing battle with weight. I haven't lost a serious amount in the last year. previous to that, I'd lost about 3 stones. I could do with losing another 2.
Now I think I have the secret. Eat almost nothing. I was already only eaing a proper meal once a day. And NO! eating more DOESN'T help.Neither do slimming clubs. Believe me I've tried it all. EVEN shakes!
About a week ago, My 95 year old mother suffered a fall and broke 2 metatarsals. She's in hospital in Bedford. I live in Reading. I can't stay in Mother's house all the time, bcause I've responsibilities here, so I've done several day trips. Driving back in foul weather last time.I also have a smashed driver's door mirror, where an idiot speeder hit it on a bend half a mile from home. I now know about Halford's stick on temporary repair mirrors, but the motor is mashed too. I have a booking for a replacement at the cost of over £200 on Wednesday afternoon.
Anyway, I haven't had time to eat much, having tidied and cleaned my Mother's house preparatory to her return home. I have eaten mixed salads in the hospital restaurant and pretty much nothing else for a couple of days and lost about 2kg. I'm keeping to the eat very little[even less than my usual] regime for now. I will make another day trip up on Thursday. I can't go before then.
by the way, Bedord Hospital has an award winning restaurant. It's well deserved.
Hana

Hana I would be on the floor, so I couldn't do it.

Sorry to hear of your mum's fall, I wish her a speedy recovery and please make sure you look after yourself too .

Best wishes RRB

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A great diet I went on and lost over 4 stones on was the 2 and a half miles from my kitchen diet. I stopped being a stay at home mum and went to work in an office :D

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Selfish people, arseholes who think they know it all, ignoramuses, chavs and people with no manners. People who play music on the bus or train full blast on their phones.
Eating little makes your brain reserve energy and less reluctant to burn off excess fat in my opinion as your body will automatically defend itself against starvation. Eating LESS however (I find) like 3/4 of what I would usually eat is a great way to lose weight AND enjoy the meals you enjoy. Different folks respond differently. A crash diet would work for a limited time, before you body and brain cottons on, hence the rapid initial loss and then stop. Be careful of faddy extreme diets and the impact on your diebetes. Ask your DSN or a dietician if they are suitable for a diabetic.

LittleWolf

I tried that diet

It was called anorexia

Even now if my BG hits teens I may worry and just stop eating again until it comes down. At first it seems like a good idea. My fasting goes down initially, but post meal spikes become even worse and dating creeps back up.I think starvation eventually increase insulin resistance? I believe anorexia is what triggered my poor BG control in the first place. Screwing up metabolism.

It always seems like a good idea at first, but honestly, don't do this long term.

Sorry I can't give you any better suggestions either apart from lots of exercise and low carb, but yes, even still that doesn't always work :/

It seems some of us only have to do a little to control BG and some of us are already stick thin athletes but it doesn't help.

LittleWolf

I tried that diet

It was called anorexia

Even now if my BG hits teens I may worry and just stop eating again until it comes down. At first it seems like a good idea. My fasting goes down initially, but post meal spikes become even worse and dating creeps back up.I think starvation eventually increase insulin resistance? I believe anorexia is what triggered my poor BG control in the first place. Screwing up metabolism.

It always seems like a good idea at first, but honestly, don't do this long term.

Sorry I can't give you any better suggestions either apart from lots of exercise and low carb, but yes, even still that doesn't always work :/

It seems some of us only have to do a little to control BG and some of us are already stick thin athletes but it doesn't help.

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Hanadr, :)

Hope all goes well with your dear Mum, and make sure you take care of yourself.

I was just a little concerned about the cost of over £200 for your replacement wing mirror.
That is a lot of money for a electric mirror even when a colour match is required. Have you tried other local garages ?
Just a thought as I just replaced my daughters VW golf drivers electric for a lot less than your being charged.

Roy :)

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
izzzi said:
Hi Hanadr, :)

Hope all goes well with your dear Mum, and make sure you take care of yourself.

I was just a little concerned about the cost of over £200 for your replacement wing mirror.
That is a lot of money for a electric mirror even when a colour match is required. Have you tried other local garages ?
Just a thought as I just replaced my daughters VW golf drivers electric for a lot less than your being charged.

Roy :)

I would agree 100%..I've changed a complete colour matched unit with servo motor for far less so it might be worth ordering a new unit yourself and then arranging for a mobile mechanic with less overheads thus less labour costs to fit it for you as it's not a major job. :wink:

WeeWillie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dictators who positively go out of their way to force misery, tears and fears, upon their countryman's lives.
Politicians who, in dealing with dictators, have a wishbone where a backbone should be.
hanadr said:
Hana

Hi hanadr, :wave:

First of all, your poor old mother, I feel so sorry for her and hope she makes a good and as speedy a recovery as possible.
You also deserve sympathy for all you're experiencing at present.

Battling with weight loss; I've never looked into it but I'd imagine us Diabetics would have to be rather careful concerning weight loss though.
You say slimming clubs do not work, well, why not try looking at it from a different perspective, think of it as "Healthy Eating", it may help.

My wife (not diabetic) started a "healthy eating" club 6 years ago. She spread her intended target weight loss over two years, and has continues to maintain her weight throughout these past years and continues to do so.
Sometimes she'll put on 1-lb between one week and the next, or vice versa.
Sometimes she's no idea why she put on the extra 1-lb, other times she'll loose an extra 1-lb however, when referring to her records book she'll perhaps find a small weight error. She never becomes crestfallen, she's aware all will even out during the following week.

She bought a small set of electric scales, weighing every meal before eating.
Keeps a record book containing everything she eats and the weight of each item.
Is meticulous at calculating all her food intake and recording them morning noon and night, referring to her records every day.

When deciding which healthy meal she would like, be it breakfast, lunch, dinner or just a bite to eat in between meals, her records book is refereed to.
For her, "Healthy Eating" proves it does work and has continued to work over the last six years.
Attending healthy eating class once per week she's achieved 4 gold stars from her club for keeping her weight at the intended target over these past 6 years. (in her case, the first two years are not taken into account due to her target time)

I just wanted to give you some hope and perhaps others who read you feel slimming clubs do not work but, if my wife is anything to go by, "Healthy Eating" does.

My very best of good wishes to you,
and keep fighting the good fight....you'll win.

willie.

Thinks to himself...
Heck, this could, perhaps, come across as being an advert for a Healthy Eating club..it's not. :D