Getting my first pump

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Im getting my first pump in a month and 16 days! Ihad the call this morning my application had been approved for the pump I wanted (aminas vibe) and which colour would I like - Do i care?!?!?!

But anyway myself and my partner have been crying on and off all day as we expect this to be the corner stone for me to be the million dollar woman!! ( i plan to self fund the CGM)

Just wanted to share :)

Massive thanks to all of you on here that have helped me out x

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
That's fantastic news Engineer :thumbup:

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Engineer88 said:
Im getting my first pump in a month and 16 days! Ihad the call this morning my application had been approved for the pump I wanted (aminas vibe) and which colour would I like - Do i care?!?!?!

But anyway myself and my partner have been crying on and off all day as we expect this to be the corner stone for me to be the million dollar woman!! ( i plan to self fund the CGM)

Just wanted to share :)

Massive thanks to all of you on here that have helped me out x

Good luck to you on your forth coming happy event. :D

Best wishes RRB

iHs

I think the Vibe is a good choice especially as it can also communicate with the Dexcom G4

pumppimp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Congratulations,
I'm on the vibe as well, I'll be self funding from December (it's my birthday then plus Christmas as presents from everyone I know I'm getting the transmitter and as many sets as I can get). Having the CGM component when you're setting up your pump will come in really handy. Good luck, Laura.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yeah thats why I asked specifically for thne vibe, along with the food bank (im gluten free so carb counting is never straight forward) and the waterproofness the dexcom was on my hit list. I'm not thinking about self funding until after christmas though as then Ill get my anual bonus and can think about it seriously.

Thanks for your replys :)

LaughingHyena

Fantastic news. I just got my vibe on Monday, though so far I'm just trailing with saline, the real fun starts next week.

I haven't set up the food database yet, though I have to say it looks a bit of a pain. I can see it being more use if you are eating unusual foods though, I haven't come across many gluten free options in the carbs and cals app which is what I usually use.

I know what you mean about the colour. I was the same at first, yey pump, who cares about the colour. However once I started to think about living with this thing attached to me I felt that it was going to end up developing a bit of a personality so why not start with the colour. Having the colour option has (I think) made it seem a bit less "medical" too, I've never had a funky pink cannula in hospital :D .

iHs

I think there are 2 versions of the Vibe - one that doesn't have cgm and one that does. The one that doesn't appears to be able to work with whatever bg meter diabetics want to use as the bg reading has to be entered into the bolus wizard, whereas the one that does have cgm doesn't show on the website as being like the other.

Obviously, the Vibe that will work with any bg meter will be more cost effective for GPs to prescribe the strips for and also there will be those who would like to have a teststrip that only needs a very small droplet of blood (like the Freestyle meters).

I didn't realise all this when I got my Accu chek Combo pump as the bolus wizard will only work accurately with the Aviva strips which demand a good droplet of blood and if you test a lot, then you can appreciate the effects on the fingertips.

As for the Inset II infusion sets, they are a complete doddle to put in, although I like the Flexlinks better so if I get the chance to have an Animas pump, I would still want to use the Flexlinks but that's the niceness of having luer connecting infusion sets.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As for the Inset II infusion sets, they are a complete doddle to put in, although I like the Flexlinks better so if I get the chance to have an Animas pump, I would still want to use the Flexlinks but that's the niceness of having luer connecting infusion sets.

This is currently french! I dont know anything about infusion sets yet, I can see a steep learning curve ahead!

I've currently got an accuchek so understand the fingertip issue :(

Stefano

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Congratulations! I use a Medtronic with CGM and it is really great. CGM makes your life so much easier especially if you tend to have lots of ups & downs.

pumppimp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi IHS,
I think you've got a bit confused, there's only one type of vibe but you can either use it with the dexcom or use it without. It works both ways, you usually input your bg straight into the pump, there's no remote control bit or specific tester to use. When it's connected to the cgm the bg will automatically show up in any of the wizard functions and also when you press the top button it will come up with the bg and a trend graph.

Engineer88,
The CGM (transmitter and 4 sets) costs £500 refills of the sets (box of 4) cost £186. Animas recommend using a set a week dexcom recommend use of up to 2 weeks but I know quite a few people who can get up to 4 weeks use out of them accurately. The transmitter lasts anything from 9 to 18 months averaging out around a year for most people and costs £385 to replace. It's fully waterproof(12ft) as well.
I'm mucho looking forward to Christmas this year, good luck.

iHs

pumppimp said:
Hi IHS,
I think you've got a bit confused, there's only one type of vibe but you can either use it with the dexcom or use it without. It works both ways, you usually input your bg straight into the pump, there's no remote control bit or specific tester to use. When it's connected to the cgm the bg will automatically show up in any of the wizard functions and also when you press the top button it will come up with the bg and a trend graph.

Engineer88,
The CGM (transmitter and 4 sets) costs £500 refills of the sets (box of 4) cost £186. Animas recommend using a set a week dexcom recommend use of up to 2 weeks but I know quite a few people who can get up to 4 weeks use out of them accurately. The transmitter lasts anything from 9 to 18 months averaging out around a year for most people and costs £385 to replace. It's fully waterproof(12ft) as well.
I'm mucho looking forward to Christmas this year, good luck.

Thanks for the info about the Vibe. Website is a bit confusing as it makes it look as though there are 2 versions of the same pump. Its the cgm bit that I am interested in although I could buy the standalone version of the cgm and then hopefully do what others have done in getting the sensors and just stay with the pump I have and see what new updated model gets released next year and then have a think.....

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ok quick update to all this, so the date is a week tomorrow (WOOP!) and I will leave the hospital 'Live' on insulin. I have pulled some strings and whatnot and basically the CGM should be there for set up as well. I cannot believe how fast this has come (I only started thinking properly about getting CGM in time yesterday!) but like Pumppimp Im being a very spoilt girl for christmas this year and people are contributing to initial pack for me.

So godamn excited you wouldnt believe!!!

pumppimp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yaay for you!!! You'll have to post up with how you're getting on with it, if you're having any problems or anything, you can be the ginuea pig for me. I'm not getting mine until Christmas day, I don't think the pump rep will come up to start me on it as I'm already 7.5 yrs on the pump. Engineer if you need any help with the settings on the pump let me know, then I can ask you for all the tips and help with the CGM. :clap: