New type 1

kms1985

I was admitted to hospital with ketoacidosis and am now diagnosed type 1. I'm still in hospital having my insulin sorted out but what I need to know of once I'm discharged how long should I give it until returning to work

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
That will very much depend on your job and your progress. Get yourself feeling better first and start to educate yourself with the condition. Your doctor will give you initial guidance on work absence and you can just take it from there.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Agree with Mo that you should just get yourself sorted before returning to work, welcome to the forum btw :)

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Welcome! I took a week off, but then I wasn't "too ill" at diagnosis. Doctor said I could go back the next day but I had caught a cold too and decided I was justified in chilling and learning how to control things properly first.

Take your time. There is no rush! Health first, work later

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
kms1985 said:
I was admitted to hospital with ketoacidosis and am now diagnosed type 1. I'm still in hospital having my insulin sorted out but what I need to know of once I'm discharged how long should I give it until returning to work

Hello and welcome kms

as others have said it depends on what work you do. I had a week in hospital and then a week at my relatives because I wasn't allowed to travel the long distance back on the coach to my home.

Another thing I found when I was discharged my Insulin dose had to decreased because in hospital I didn't do any exercise or walking about and the first time I went out into my relatives town I started to feel very odd and her GP said it was because of increased activity and lowered my dose by 2 units. So please be careful.

You will need to take it easy at first and you will need to get used to being Type 1, it's a lot to take in and it may take a little time but things will soon slot into place.

Best wishes and good luck

RRB

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
what do you do for a living KMS? If you operate heavy machinery, get yourself sorted first. If you work in an office, let soemone else do the stapling for a while. :D

Seriously now, see how you feel and how good your readings are. The worst thing would be an unexpected hypo. Personally I was diagnosed on Wednesday, discharged Thurs, spent Friday sorting my prescriptions and flew to Aberdeen on Sunday, but didn't go offshore. I was in daily contact with one or other DSN at least once per day by e-mail or phone.

I binned my trip to Tunisia the following week, as I thought that was too soon.

Rockape671

Hi KMS,
Have to agree with the other posts. Take as long as you need, you've got a lot to take in. Everyone's different ( you'll hear that a lot ). I was diagnosed late November and didn't go back to work til February. A lot depends on type of job and employers, I was a train driver so never did get back to work really.

lynde89

Hi KMS,

I think it does depend on your job, you have yo be sensible, but also don't go back if you still don't feel comfortable. Try to make people at your work aware so you aren't alone in dealing with it. As mentioned too, depending on your job, if it's physical or you do a lot of walking/moving about you may need to drop down your doses. If this is the case always try to keep hypo treatment with you & keep it stocked up. I find gluco tabs or the 150ml of sugary coke work well & fast, I keep them labelled up in the fridge at work :)

Also, welcome to the forum!

Rockape671, are you or where you a rockape? Only being mosey as my brother is, although his outdated is Jan (he's also type 1, for 2 years now).

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

zaf320

Hi

Welcome to the site....and most respect to you. I agree with other posts on here, take your time before you go back to work.

I suffered the same as you in February and spent a week in hospital. Went back to work after 6 weeks.