Tempoary work with agencies

mchphoto

Hi
I just want to tell you the phone call I have had from an agency that I am registered with about my T2 diabities and the work they do not want to put me forward for.

There has been some production jobs in a food factory that have been available since I registered with them, initially due to my technical background they have not put me forward for any of these post - But I did say to them I would take any work to earn money untill a suitable post comes up, bu they do not listen to me!.

I have now chased them about other production jobs that I thought were for another company but no they are for the same company. This is where it's get interesting initially they said for the same reason I was not using my talents as I am a technical engineer to stop me being put forward for any work, then I said I need to earn some money and I said I will take the job. They then came back to me and said as I was on a production line, as I may need additional toilet breaks and to snack - I could not leave the production line due to the work flow - they are now starting to say my diabities is a disability and I said that is discrimination against me. After pointing put a few things to this adviser and then she spoke with the person who is actually dealing with the company they have now offered me a induction session to see if I like this type of work (It's only temporary and in a place where I could eat the product as it's a healthy option e.g. no sugar involved!).

When my adviser came back I did point put to her that on a production line there are less critical roles where you could take a break and your colleagues cover for you, basically she did not really know what a production line was and how it operates - I am lucky here and have set up a number of them in my past.

But the crux of the matter is she tried to discriminate against me because of my diabities and I said it was discrimination and I would go above her head and complain, it is then she back tracked very quickly by offering me a induction place next week. As long as the shift supervisor knows my needs then all should be well, as that person will place me in a non critical role where if I am away for 5 minutes it's OK.

In short hold your ground when talking to these people who really do not know what they are talking about and if you start saying things like I am going to take this to a higher authority and seek advice from the discrimination at work act they will back down hopefully very fast - This woman has done so, but I will wait and see what happens on Wednesday next 16th Oct and I will report back on the outcome.

I may even take a copy of this with me so they can read it http://www.diabetes.org.uk/upload/How we help/Avocacy/Employment-advocacy-pack-2013.pdf - it's worth reading anyway to know your rights.

Michael

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Hi, answer a question for me please, if you were an employer without diabetes and two identical people applied for a job, one with diabetes and one without, which one would you employ?

There are potential problems associated with an employee having diabetes, ie snack breaks, providing a separate area for injecting because some of your existing staff are stupid enough to object to you injecting in the tea room, time off for docs appointments etc. etc. Who in there right mind apart from us would employ the diabetic? So is this discrimination? Or common sense on there part? Technically I think your right but I think they are right to avoid you, just my opinion

Good luck

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mchphoto

The same goes for smokers as well then?, as they are always stepping out for a quick smoke multiple times per day without bothering the managers. The smokers have the choice to quit or never to start, but Diabetes you do not have a choice do you?, as I certainly do not want to have diabities - if there was a real solution I would choose it, even if it meant a few months off work to sort it out medically.

So what is right?

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
I'm not saying your wrong, I'm saying common sense dictates they don't want the hassle, harsh but I'm looking at it from an employers perspective, personally I would take the diabetic so we could talk about it lol

whompa73

Dislikes
Chavs
Sorry but here I have to dissagree with you andy .first time for everything eh. although I am dyslexic I am highly intelligent generally scoring 146 to 152 on iq tests . I am extremely dexterous my hand eye coordination is exelent to the point that when in engineering and fabrication jobs I was always given the jobs that challenged these skills. Ok my fitness levels are not what they where 2years ago but I'm working on it and getting there . I have also been blessed strength wise (at one point when working in fabrication I was able to put a full size oxygen tank fro an oxy acetylene set on my shoulder and lift above my head one handed wich requires massive strenth for not only lifting but also control). And have always naturally been far stronger than others . I am however in no way shape of form academic and class room studying is very difficult for me but may ability to learn in the real world and figure or work things out for myself is more than compensation for lack of studiousness. One of my main problems has been my memory but I am now thinking that it may be linked to the diabetes and therefore possably reversably . Of course we are then left with my only real hurdle in life which is I was born ugly. So in short I would be the most capable employee you could hire aslong as you not hiring me to look at . And if your ( dont actually mean or directed at you andy im just saying it as a generalisation) stupid enough to hire someone else just because they dont have diabetes then you'll be stuck with someone inferior whole im making someone a lot of money and working to a higher standard atva faster rate with less /no f/ups which equalls less headache for you . Who would you choose?

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
hehe we were both born ugly then :) and i left school at thirteen so academic im not, ok ill make this less personal to us, if say i had two women applying for a job and they were equal in every way apart from one was able to have children and one were not, which one would i employ? the one that couldnt have kids of course because i would be less likely to have to contend with maternity issues, well the same applies here, without knowing the candidate, without understanding exactly what diabetes was all about which lets face it most dont and we didnt, worse than that assuming as most people do that diabetics are fat and lazy, then why would as an employer i want to employ one? its not about blame its about common sense, awful as it is

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think I see your point Andy. In a perfect world there would be no discrimination of any kind against anyone but as this is not a perfect world employers are far more likely to take the easiest path and choose an employee who is, on paper, least likely to require extra breaks, time off etc. They see it as practicality, we see it as discriminatory. It is grossly unjust and unfair. Fortunately not all employers are so blinkered.