numbness/tingling

cris07

was just wondering if things like tingling in hands and feet and some toe numbness and getting cold hands and feet usually occurs when diabetes has been present a long time or whether it can happen very early on? cheers

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Peripheral neuropathy can cause numbness and tingling in the hands and feet, best that you get it checked out Chris by your gp to get proper diagnosis.

cris07

i have quite a few times but he says its anxiety, just find that hard to believe just have all the symptoms of diabetes but because i havnt had a really high reading they say its fine even though iv had quite high readings if you get me.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi cris

I have suffered from anxiety in the past and had quite a few of the symptoms you describe here and in your other posts. Last year I was convinced I had neuropathy with tingling arms and legs... burning on occasions, but nope - it was just anxiety and it went away when I got the anx under control.

Have a look at the physical symptoms here:
http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Anxiety/Pages/Symptoms.aspx

These symptoms are very real and it's hard to believe that they could be caused by anxiety. Worst thing you can do is google your symptoms as you'll end up convincing yourself you have all sorts of ailments.

hotblack desiato

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have it in the front of my thighs , just a loss of sensation and a cold feeling , feet were fine when checked three weeks ago , improving as I do aerobic exercise , cycle , treadmill and Nordic ski torture device , 20 mins on each 4 times a week , are you doing any serious exercise ? just a thought , my doc basically said on the subject regarding feet , use them or lose them .

Carbdodger

Cris
Numbness/tingling/neuropathy was an initial symptom for me along with many other ailments. These were all present pre-diagnosis. A barrage of tests later and I was diagnosed with the DB. Found my way to a low carb diet and I've never looked back. Within a matter of days ailments stopped being ailments and my body started healing. The neuropathy has completely disappeared and I've never felt healthier thanks to the power of low carbing. Maybe give it a go and see if you can rid yourself of the numbness?
Cd

cris07

thanx guys for the replies, what sort of things are best to eat? is it cutting out bread pasta and potatoes mainly? iv stopped playing footy and goin to the gym, i go walking and play golf but iv not really done anything to strenuous. cheers for the anxiety link makes sense, you guys think the best thiung to do is play sports again? i just feel hungary all the time hard to not eat anything with some carbs in, appreciate your help guys.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Numbness and tingling can be caused by poor circulation, not just neuropathy. Poor circultion is common in diabetics even if it is not directly related to the diabetes. I had it, still have it to some extent, before diagnosis. Exercising my legs is by far the best remedy together with keeping feet, toes and legs warm. I use an old bike jacked up on an exerciser. It's a good exercise because it places little stress on jonts like the ankles.

As far as eating is concerned, you need tolearn what suits you. Bread is as bad a sugar most of the time. Forget marketing titles like wholemeal bread. Mostly it is white flour dyed and only a small amount of wholemeal. Even genuine wholemeal is only any good once you have startedto get your diabetes under control. Try whole grain rye ryvitas and, if they spike you, forget bread for the time being. They are probably the kindest type of bread for diabetics and if they don't work for you, not much will.

Pasta actually is not too bad at all. Just be careful with portion sizes. Good stoneground durum wheat semolina pasta is quite coursly gound, making it harder to digest, so it has a much lower GI than bread. Wholewheat pasta is even better, if it works for you.

Potatoes work for me if I stick to a few small boiled new potatoes. Mashed old potatoes are as bad as sugar and best turned into vodka. Pearl barley is good as is millet, just in case you have a diabetic budgie. You can also try couscous, which is also a coarse ground semolina. Chick peas and pulses too are good for most diabetics.

You need to pack in some flavour though. These foods are boring on their own. Spices are your friends here. If you didn't see the TV programmes, get the book, The Incredible Spice Men http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Incredible- ... 1849907064

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Do you have any extra weight to lose? I've lost weight and my tingling symptoms improved. I'm hoping with more weight loss they will disappear.

Cara

cris07

cheers! i dont even no if i have diabetes tbh but it seems like iv got the pre sort, guess i need to get confirmation either way!

cris07

nah im 12,4 stone, 6 ft normal weight iv always bin fit and healthy tbh played a lot of sports but iv jus had these symptoms in the last 6-7 months and iv had urination, dry mouth hunger slightly blurry vision and this tingling and numbness seems to be happening now iv had high readings after food of like 7.8 and 7 2 hours after food my fastiong is normally bin around 5-5.2 jus seems weird that iv got these sym,ptoms that match this illness guess it must be the eary stages or the readings would b a lot higher just trying to find a way to get rid of the symptoms!