New & inspired by the advice and kindness here

Tattyhead91

Hi,

Another newbie getting to grips with Type 2. So far eyes & feet tested and fine, part 1 of Desmond completed and HbA1c of 7.1 at most recent test (c. 10 weeks ago at diagnosis). I need to lose weight and have shifted just over 2 stone already. I'm mid 40s.

My main question today is how to go about telling my mum. For background my dad was T2 insulin dependent so mum has lots of experience of the condition. My main worry is causing my mum stress, we lost dad two years ago (not diabetes related) and I know that she'll be frightened and upset to lean of my diagnosis. I just hate the thought that she'll worry and doesn't have dad to lean on anymore.

I don't want to keep it from her forever either so any tips gratefully accepted!

hornplayer

I haven't told my Dad.

He'd get himself all screwed up. He throws himself at problems, body and soul. If he can't fix it, he gets more and more wound up, trying to make it go away. Well, he can't fix this. I don't want him to worry about it for even a moment so I'm not planning on telling him. I only take Metformin so no danger of hypos. If I ever had to go onto insulin I'd probably have to re think, but not now.

Mum knows, as do my brothers. They are all diabetic too. Mum and Dad don't speak and my brothers are all caught up in their own lives. There isn't any danger of them telling him. He won't comment on my low carb diet. - I've been on some sort of diet since I was eight so he's used to me eating odd things at odd times, - or not eating at all.

What ever you decide to do, good luck! -Keep posting. I'm sure there are plenty of others out there who'll be interested in how things work out for you. - Including me! :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

whompa73

Dislikes
Chavs
You just gotta tell her .she will be far more upset if you hide it from her and if hidden then it will give the impression that it's so bad it requires hiding then she will frett properly

Stellaau

i didn't tell anyone. actually my partner knows but he is very unsupportive. i have no plan to tell anyone else in my family and never will. living far from them makes it easy for me, but i think i would be able to manage not to tell anyone even if we live close as i am very private with those things and they know even if they ask they will not get any answer.

Tattyhead91

Thanks so much for your responses. Hornplayer, my mum would be the same. I think I'll leave it for now.

Whompa, I do take your point but I can't bring myself to cause her worry. Stellaau, I understand where you are coming from completely.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.