Overdose of insulin - no effect

NICNAK68

Over the last 24 hours I have injected over 100 units of insulin into me - maybe a call of help so that I can stop feeling so ill.
Nothing has happened, no hypo and my bloods are still a bit high now.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Keep checking your bloods in the meantime. You really need to urgently speak to your doctors. Injecting huge amounts of insulin will eventually cause you major problems and is not gonna help anyone. Please talk to your docs and let us know how you get on.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi NicNak!

Was it bolus, basal or mixed insulin you injected? If it was basal or mixed, you could hypo in several hours time. You must check your levels frequently and correct with carb if they start to fall - they can fall very quickly if you have overdosed on some basals. As Mo says, you would be advised to speak to a doctor. Do not sit down and fall asleep. Basal can continue to work for up to 24 hours and you really need to keep a close eye on your levels all day.

Smidge

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
OK NikNak - short term is bolus and should be out of your system within 5 hours. However, with the amount you took it could last longer - I'm not sure. I would have expected that much bolus to have a big effect on your BG. What did you eat with it?

Smidge

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there!

You have said yourself that it is a cry for help. I urge you to get on the phone to you DSN or GP ASAP. You seem to have been lucky this tune, you don't want to be in this position again.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey NicNak!

I just noticed on another thread that you've recently been ill and are now binge carbing. When you are ill (physically or emotionally) your insulin requirements can go up significantly and your BG might still stay high. Your body develops a form of insulin resistance to protect itself.

I think you got away with the amount you took this time, but please do talk things through with a doctor.

Take care

Smidge

desidiabulum

Wrong on both counts NICNAK! Diabetics have to stick together. But you need to talk things through fast with your doctor, and then with us.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
We're all interested in you!

It is really important that you speak to a doctor

NICNAK68

And say what to my Dr ?
I overdosed on Insulin cos I'm fed up with this Diabeties stuff ?

I don't have time for councilling - i work from 0730 - 1700 mon -fri.

I have cried with my DSN to be told there is nothing they can do, just cope with it like millions of other people do.

drumming_blitz

Hey Nicnak68,

If your sugar levels are still high after that much insulin, you need the insulin. More imporatantly though, if nothing is happening with that volume of insulin, you need medical attention.

Do you do any type of carbohydrate counting, because maybe you need to have a look at you ratios. And what about lantus, if your running quite high it might be good idea to look at that.

We are interested in you! liek desidiamnulum said, we all need to stick together!

NICNAK68

Thank you all,
I am trying to get my head around carb counting - I stuipdly thought no carbs - no insulin but have been put right on that now.

WhitbyJet

NICNAK68 said:
No one is interested in me , it'll be fine.
l

Oh yes, I am another one who cares.
You are struggling, things have got too much for you, you are working long hard hours, do you think you could take a week or two off work, go off sick even; take a break, have some 'me' time, do things that make you feel good.

Please do get in touch with your doctor or DSN, get help from wherever you can, you are so worth it.

Big comforting hugs x

N

NicolaB70

Another one who cares, TAKE CARE!!!

Sent from my KFTT using DCUK Forum mobile app