diabetic old timer

hazey

hello folks, as you are probably aware having only been diagnosed with diabetes for 1 month it's all new to me. i've obviously seen my GP and the practice nurse who have both been fantastic. i've been told i'll have to see a chiropidist and dieticien asap but have had no correspondance as yet and i am not a natural mitherer. i'm still feeling quite ill at present which i suppose is normal and i can sleep for england, i also seem to be having very bad dizzy spells and have fallen a couple of times. anyway sorry for going on but i don't know anyone else i can moan to so sorry for boring you but if anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated!!!

hazey

hazey

lopper

hello h
sorry to see you a bit uptight
diabetes is not as bad as you think
it just takes a bit to sort out
i was diagnosed last june
a bit of a shock
you will find a lot of infi here
are u type one or two
take it easy now

hazey

thanks to lopper and sarahq for your reply. i am type 2 and my doctor doesn't believe in self testing he says that you can become paranoid about your levels which i find a bit strange because he himself is a diabetic. i've had little info on diet just to take my tablets each day and try and "eat healthily" which i did before the diabetes i neverate chocolates, cakes, biscuits or anything sweet which he finds even more unusual. the other thing he has said is that i "might" have to start insulin injections which has confused me because i am type 2. oh and my sugar level when first tested was 17.2 which tells me absolutely nothing, he just said "you are diabetic" cheers doc!!!!

hazey

hazey

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by SarahQ</i>
<br />Hi Hazey, 17.2 is very high.
Your GP needs a good kick up the backside.
You need test strips to find out what food is doing to your bloods sugar and also to monitor how you are maaging over all.
You are entitled to a good quality of care so ask for it, then demand it.
Numbers that high will cause some dreadful damage to your body which will again cause the NHS a lot more money than not giving you test strips.
How did your GP come to the conclusion that you were a type 2? Did he run any extra tests?
Type 2's do go on insulin as type 2 is progressive so don't worry about that side of things.
Do you have a practice nurse you can see? If so pay her a visit and take in a list of questions
1, what is my blood sugar meant to be? 2, what was my A1c(3 month average) 3 what exactly am I meant to be eating, how many carbs/meal
4. Who provides a meter and when can I have some test stripes so that I can find out what is going on.
5 why am I having dizzy spells and falling over?
You need to get sorted ASP. So be persistent with your gp/nurse and do not give up.
Pro active is the way to go.

------------------------
Type 1 on insulin for 43 years,No complications
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

thanx again! the only test i have had is what he called a fasting test where i couldn't eat from the night before. thats how he found out i was type 2. he said i'll have 2 more tests at 3 monthly intervals then he'll have a more accurate idea of whats going on, and as previously stated he doesn't like self testing because he says you can become paranoid about the results. spoke to him the other day and he said my normal stats were fine and the reason i was dizzy and falling over was due to a "rogue virus" and not to worry (easy for him to say). i have got a good practice nurse so i'll take the questions you've given me and ask for answers to them. if it wasn't for people like yourself and the others in the forum i don't know what i'd do. the other thing, (ere i go again), over the last few days i've had a feeling in my toes like when you stump your toe on the castor of the bed and my right foot is particularly sore, is this normal???????

hazey

sugar

Hi Hazey,
Hope you are feeling better! Sara is absolutely correct about your Dr. There is a fine line between not panicing your patients and not giving them enough information, and I think your Dr is on the wrong side of the line!
I am no expert in how to tell whether you are T1 or T2, but giving you a fasting blood test, and telling you eat healty food and take these tablets is really not good enough! especially as you already eat heathily. The fact that you are still not well, sounds like the Dr needs to do some more work, and help you out. You say that the GP is fantastic, which hopefully means that you get on with them and can talk to them freely. Some GPs do not like their patients to research their conditions on teh intenet..and lets face it, sometimes with good reason as it scares me daft sometimes..but diabetes, in whichever form is a lifelong condition, that you have to manage. If you are feeling poorly, then you need a bit more help. It is not the end of the world..... you will survive, but it shouldn't take a lot to make you feel 200% better! Good luck.

hazey

many thanks sugar for your input. even though i'm on 2 metformin, (1 morning and 1 at night), i'm still feeling horendously ill. as prviously stated my doc is diabetic so it makes it even more odd why he makes certain decisions. the "virus is still with me as i keep falling over, (middle of shopping arcade the otherday), but hopefully once its gone i should be ok. my feet are also very sore especially the right one and i've noticed cracks in the skin and dark brown patches occuring. ok i'll stop moaning now and give you a rest!!!!

regards

hazey

hazey

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hazey,

The advice you have been given above is spot on, but I am a bit worried by what you have said about your feet. I am not a doctor but your symptoms sound very like diabetic neuropathy. If so, this is reversible but only by keeping your blood sugar levels under tight control. In order to do that it is absolutely essential that you are allowed a meter and test strips.

You need to get your feet checked so I suggest that you make an appointment as soon as possible to see a chiropodist about your feet. Tell him/her that you are diabetic and ask if they can do checks for neuropathy - this is just a simple check to test how sensitive are the nerves in your feet to an external stimulus. Chiropodist services are not generally free but it will be £25 to £30 well spent. Ask your local chemist if they can recommend a good local one.

Incidentally another symptom of neuropathy is dizziness, especially after standing up too quickly (as your GP should be aware). Your GP should also be able to check you for neuropathy but from what you have told us so far I am not sure he would be able to tell your foot from your ar5e!!!