Insulin
Dislikes
• Minging hypos
• Uncontrollable highs
• People who think I can’t eat doughnuts.. haha
Hm, the link isn't showing on my phone, not sure if you can see it

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Liz King

what a horrid group of work colleagues!! Personally ive always injected and bloodtested when I need to - although I dont inject in my stomach in public - I use my thigh which is more discreet as many moons ago, thats where I was taught to inject. I think you need to raise this with your HR manager. However, you can be discreet, I have been in lunchtime meetings and just got on with my own testing and injecting under the desk to no-ones knowledge - whereas some have made a fuss - stating that they need to inject, how much food is coming etc etc - this draws attendtion and turns it into a major event, and breaks the flow of the meeting etc which others rightly resent. It also makes them look abit silly, as my colleagues/managers know that I am t1 and have just got on with it and not caused any distruption. So, I would suggest speaking with your HR manager, maybe they would be open to the idea of a dn giving a presentation - broadening their knowledge - however this will make you the focus of the discussion. Do you have any friends in this group of colleagues? I would also suggest looking for an alternative position in the company as it sounds like pack mentally is developing and you may never be accepted - or could you ask your line manager to lunch - a sarni in an office room and discuss it with them - however this only works in companys that value open respectful man/employee relationships. Maybe you need to start to look for work with another company??

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would continue to test at my desk, but I would be as discreet as possible because I recognise that others may feel bad about seeing an injection, or blood tests. In my experience, colleagues are usually just curious, but you're always likely to come across someone who has a phobia about blood and/or hypodermics. Good luck!

Diane fluteplayer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Team sports, housework, being talked down to, big towns, slugs and cabbage white caterpillars
Hi
I used to have the same trouble at our Northampton office. I think it was one malicious colleague - HR would not even tell me who it was and did not back me up at all. One one occasion when it was a hypo the only free office was up another flight of stairs and by the time I got there I was very low and it took so long to recover that my line manager had to cover for me. Served them d...'d well right (lol) but could have been v serious. Colleagues in my base office thought their attitude was disgusting. Horrible atmosphere there. I'm out of it now, thank God - I took early retirement!

geoval

Hi, I was very annoyed to hear of the problems you are getting at work. Life is hard enough without numpties adding more stress.
I am no expert so check this all out before anything. From what little I know about The Equality Act 2010, employers have a very clear duty to ensure that people who live with various conditions, do not suffer any sort of hassle (I call it bullying) from colleagues. Check it all out on this Government advisory webpage. I hope this helps. If you need more advice, I can maybe put you on to someone who can perhaps help.

https://www.gov.uk/equality-act-2010-guidance

niskiK0t

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I do think you should be using the private space you have been given to test your blood. I certainly wouldn't want to test in front of my colleagues at work - I don't think it is any of their business how I manage my condition and would prefer to keep it private.

I agree you should check out the Equality Act but I don't think that you should assume that you are being hounded because others don't want to watch you use your workspace for medical procedures. If you are likely to become ill or suffer as a result then you should discuss the need for a care plan that can be agreed with your manager. I've found my work colleagues to be sympathetic with others who need special care at work.

caegidog

As an employment law adviser in an advice centre I can tell you that this is a situation which your employer should never have allowed to arise, especially as they appear to have recognised your situation and done something about it. They now need to do the rest.
As someone has already guessed, this is covered by legislation. You have been provided with a room to inject yourself, but if your colleagues really cannot stand the sight of blood, is there a reason why you cannot use the same room for testing your blood sugar? Are 'tied' to your desk/workstation and not allowed to leave it, as often is the case in call centres: could it affect your productivity and affect your pay or a bonus payment?
The first rule in any situation like this is Be Reasonable. It is the case that some people really do have a phobia - I know someone who really will faint at the sight of a needle and he is scientist! Is it perhaps the case that one of your colleagues is genuinely upset by what, to us, is a routine thing but you could argue that such a phobia is perhaps also covered by the DDA, so both parties must consider each other.
If you do not feel you can talk effectively to the people who are making you feel hounded then go to your boss and ask for help. S/he must take action and if, in the extreme, you find you cannot work there any more you may well have a claim for unfair dismissal. If your employer does not want to become involved then you may want to take advice from a solicitor, which will probably cost you, or an advice centre which is normally free. Try Googling 'advice centres' and see if you can find a local one - remember that not all advice centres are CABs; there are hundreds of independent ones, many more than there are CABs - or if you have a Union, try them.
Best of luck.

steveinblackpool

Hi
I think your making a mountain out of a molehill

Instead of standing up and pricking your finger and waving it about, just organise your meter/strip in the draw and prick you finger under the desk. All they will hear is a little click.
How did they evaluate that the small "click" was you pricking your finger... they must have ears like bats lol

Why cant you go to the toilet or the room they have provided?

I have been T1 40years and in an office with 40 and nobody takes any notice when im testing the fact is they are actually working
Your work had provided you with a room.... what else do u want

its a condition with no cure so live with it

Fred Brooks

Dislikes
Products that are aimed at diabetic sufferes. Not always necessary I think.
There are wimps out there who want to pick, complain and generally moan and whinge about anything they can. Get your manager to ask them if they're people or mice!!!