BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Mossleyman said:
Thanks for the continuing concern. I have contacted DiabetesUK careline by email.
The hazard of moving from my desk for a test is that if I am low there is a risk factor
or Health & Safety issue for me to walk 20yards to the Rest room to do a test.

It is totally unfair and discriminatory and I will go as far as I can with my complaint.
The small fridge where I have orange juice is in the room i work in ! :)
Well, good luck with your case. I still don't think walking 20 yards to test is totally unreasonable but each to their own. Take care.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Got to say, I am with mo on this. are your colleagues being both ignorant and idiots, of course they are. However, Your bosses have made allowances for you to test and allowed you to leave your deal to do it. If an idiot colleague complains about you your employer also has a duty of care to them. A little walk I don't think is unreasonable. Am sure other diabetics have to walk further. even small children in school have to walk to a nurses office to get tested, am sure they walk further.

Mossleyman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have been told that the Health & Safety issue in blood testing is 'cross contamination of blood'
This in my view is ludicrous given the tiny amount of blood required to do a test ? Any ideas for
a response would be welcome.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Mossleyman said:
I have been told that the Health & Safety issue in blood testing is 'cross contamination of blood'
This in my view is ludicrous given the tiny amount of blood required to do a test ? Any ideas for
a response would be welcome.

Why is it ludicrous ? Are you saying you can't get an infection off a tiny amount of blood ? Your employer has a duty of care to all employees unfortunately.

fractureman

Reply with "where does the health & safety at work act point this out"
There is no issue of cross contamination a finger prick for bg readings is so small 99.9% is taken up by the test strip.
They are always disposed of in normal rubbish even in hospitals. If you wash your hands after a blood test there is zero chance of cross contamination.

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That is if all the blood goes on the strip. Some people are natural bleeders lol and all blood may not end up on the test strip to be absorbed. If a bit was to drop on the desk or floor, even in a hospital am sure it would not be left there.

fractureman

That's picking hairs though, never seen any diabetic bleed all over a desk from a finger prick.

I'd just ignore your company (join a union) then wait for them to bring a disaplinary against you.

If you was a union member & they tried what they are doing you'd soon be given a letter of apology if I was representing you.

Morganator

Quick question, when at home do you always have your monitor right next to you at all times or do you refuse to walk to your kitchen to get something to eat if you are low?
Yes your employer has a duty of care but it is reasonable to expect you to maintain your levels at a safe reading.
As for throwing contaminated test strips in the normal rubbish I have never witnessed this in a hospital and would never do it at home.

Sent from my HTC Desire C using DCUK Forum mobile app

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry, im not having a problem with my work personally. Totally agree it is being picky but still think although however petty the particular company is being that the op works for by making then test in a room provided for them is legally entitled to do so. I do feel if the op was to challenge this they would loose.

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's petty and ridiculous. The risk of infection from a 1 microlitre sample of blood, which goes into a test strip, is so imperceptibly small that this has got to be one of the most utterly ludicrous things I've ever heard.

I would bet that out if the billion times that diabetic bloods have been measured, no infections have been given to anyone hanging round in the vicinity. If the employer thinks it's a risk then they need to find some objective evidence that there is a risk. Of course, they won't find any, because there is no risk!

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Totally agee sam, but even if the smallest possibility that it could happen, either through the strip or a drop not on the strip is enough to ask them to test away from other staff, no matter how petty it is. if the employer was not allowing them a place to test a different story.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
This thread is getting ridiculous. Why should he threaten his employers ? Your advice could end with OP taking action which is not productive at all. If you read original post, you'd see that his employers have made a room available 20yds away from his desk to inject and test. That is by law all they are required to do. His work colleagues are ignorant but you can't blame employer for that. "Reasonable adjustment" is all that is required. This has been done. We don't have a right to test or inject wherever we feel like it if it offends others. I'm all for sticking together and fighting for our rights but we need to make little adjustments too. 20yds is perfectly reasonable.

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As mo1905 says "perfectly reasonable"
This is the final result that probably will be decided in a health and safety at work employment tribunal.

It may be wrong, however if you stick to your guns the result could be in your favor as we do not know all the evidence.

Roy.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Mossleyman said:
folk in the office have now complained about me finger pricking at my desk................ I sit maybe
four yards from my closest colleague ?

This probably wont be of any use to you but reading your post has made me really angry.

If I were in your shoes I would tell my "colleague" not to be so **** nosey, to stop looking at me all the time and mind his/her own business, but when someone is rude to me then they generally get their own medicine back plus interest. And that is what this person is, rude, ignorant and selfish to the extreme. Why exactly is this person spying on you? I assume you dont make a song and dance about testing, when I was an insulin user (12 months) I would test and inject pretty much anywhere I happened to be and very rarely was anyone else even aware of what I was doing.

This person should get on with their own life and stop worrying about what others are doing, they are being paid to work arent they, not to watch what other people are doing......

Some people have no idea what insulin dependant diabetics have to live with on a day to day basis.

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
A person with diabetes, whatever type, is "protected" under the auspices of the Equality 2010 along with many other groups. Your employers have, very generously, set a room aside for you to use in order for you to manage your diabetes. Many people on here will be jealous of such provision.
Might it just be better all round if you use this room, advising a colleague of same and asking if they can come and look for you if you are not back in say 10 minutes.?
Just a thought.
God luck in all you do.
Alan

iHs

Its true to say that most people are a bit ignorant about diabetes and don't understand the necessity of using a bg meter to monitor levels. I suppose it could come over as being a bit off putting and the noise of the finger pricker spring releasing might irritate some even though you would think that if they have the time to notice what you are doing, then they are not busy enough themselves.

What would probably help would be to try to conceal the bg meter and finger pricker by putting it in a desk drawer and then pull the drawer out to do the test without anyone being able to see anything. This would also help to deaden the sound of the pricker especially if used resting on a piece of foam instead of laying on a wooden desk top.

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well said alan. I do test at my desk, would love a room to be provided for such instances as to avoid unwanted comments from others and people wandering over to glare at the results. If I was unable to walk 20 yds to test, personally would have some fast acting glucose, thats just me though. Will keep a look out to see how op got on.