Feed in Tariffs

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
As this is an international forum I thought some forum readers might be interested to know that the UK Government have now followed the examples of some other countries; Germany in particular, and now pay people to install solar panels onto their roofs to generate your own electricity.

There is a very useful website I've come across which has a short video that explains in laymans terms how it works and the money you could receive for generating your own electricity. Here is the (disabled) link: freeelectricity4u.co.uk

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
This topic has been quite frequent in the UK tabloid press lately; most recent of which was in the Daily Express two days running last week.

http://dailyexpress.co.uk/posts/view/19 ... r-giveaway

Personally I think this could become one of the next big scandals and end up on BBC Watchdog, etc.

Trouble being, there are companies offering to install solar panels on your roof for free. You get cheap electricity as a result and they (the solar panel owners) get the Government feed in tariffs tax free, index linked and guaranteed for the next 25 years.

If you can afford to purchase these panels yourself it's a no brainer but many people will be fooled into allowing companies to fit them for free. This coalition Government of ours are farting about with a "green deal". When they (eventually) launch it, I think it will allow householders to borrow up to £6,500 very cheaply to buy renewable energy products. Therefore, you could buy your own solar panel system for £6,500 using this cheap "green deal" money and benefit from all the feed in tariff yourself....not to mention the cheaper electricity too.

Where's the scandal??? All those people who jumped in feet first and allowed solar panel companies to fit solar on their roofs for free - they will be stuck with it for 25 years and will not see a penny of the feed in tariff. Also, what happens when they go to sell their house in say 5 or 10 years? Who will want to buy a house with solar panels fitted where they wont see a penny of the feed in tariff? If they bought a house with solar panels paid for by the existing householder, then the feed in tariff is transferrable to the new purchaser for the remainder of the feed in tariff term.

Mark my words, this will eventually appear on BBC Watchdog so remember, you heard it here first. :wink:

MackButler

Ardbeg said:
As this is an international forum I thought some forum readers might be interested to know that the UK Government have now followed the examples of some other countries; Germany in particular, and now pay people to install solar panel onto their roofs to generate your own electricity.

There is a very useful website I've come across which has a short video that explains in laymans terms how it works and the money you could receive for generating your own electricity. Here is the (disabled) link: freeelectricity4u.co.uk
Many countries have wrong policies about using solar panels for home electricity generation.. Govt should boos there usage rather than causing hindrance.

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
There have been many twists and turns with the UK government over solar feed in tariffs, but they still represent excellent value for money and a 14 % tax free return with no risk

If any forum member in the UK wants more info just message me

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd hazzard a guess that spending £5000 on extra insulation, which is 20 times what is usually spent, will be a lot more cost effective than solar panels. House prices are expensive in the UK not because they are built well but because, unlike Germany, they are seen as commodities and because land is so expensive. It is owned primarily by off shore companies and drip fed onto the market at a rate that ensures high prices. If land was cheaper and houses built out of better materials, we wouldn't have this problem. We already have the smallest houses and flats in western europe which helps fuel the desire to move up the ladder into more comfortable accomodation. We have over 560,000 estate agents in the UK to help keep this hamster wheel turning.

Germany is completely different. If you buy a house in Germany and want to sell it in a few years, you are likely lose money. It is not the commodity purchase that it is here. It is much more of a lifetime purchase. In Germany the buyer pays the agent's commission. In the UK the seller pays the agent's commission. It is the complete opposite to here in the UK.