Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Got mine booked in yesterday .
Next friday - Sept 27th ...

Expecting a weekend of raised blood sugars after this :thumbdown:

It did this with me - last year !
Raised temp, felt rough and higher sugar levels for 2-3 days afterwards .

Thought it best to mention of this fact for others here .
Just in case :)

Anna .

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
my 10 yr old is taking me to the docs so we can have our jabs together, shes a seasoned jabee so well pleased to be holding my hand as im a newbie :) in fact it was the same for metformin lol we take it at the same time each night, no more fighting to get her to take them :) :)

TonyTruthful

I never bother having the jab. I have always been dead against stuff like that, never take aspirin or paras if I can avoid. I wouldn’t want to feel rough for a few days like Anna said.

I was one of a few people that never had the TB injection at school, so don’t have the trade mark scar on the arm. Checked the other day and they stopped doing them now.

It up to the individual if they have it or not but I would recommend not bothering if you consider yourself in good health. I’m 28 yo and only had T1 for 4ish years (I think) so not necessary.

Only my opinion my I add.

TT

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I always avoided the flu jab in the past, but late last year had the worst flu I ever had which then progressed to pnuemonia. i am not going through that again, so will be making an appointment monday.

Mongoose39uk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sprouts
My lass has already booked me in. It's my first anniversary present.

I can think of better ways of celebrating our anniversary and none of them involve a nurse sticking a needle in me :shock:

desidiabulum

OK, here we go....

Question: Should people working in the NHS take the flu jab?
Answer: Yes, because otherwise they might infect sick and vulnerable people.
Question: What makes you think that you will not come across any sick and/or vulnerable people yourself?
Answer: ?????

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
desidiabulum said:
OK, here we go....

Question: What makes you think that you will not come across any sick and/or vulnerable people yourself?

Indeed ! Flu is a killer and if a simple jab protects us and thus others around us that are vulnerable considering the virus is airborne and can survive on door handles and other inanimate objects then I feel we should make every effort to curtail any epidemic and do our bit.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all!

If you saw how high my BG goes when I get a cold and how resistant to my injected insulin I become, you'd understand why flu kills diabetics.If you don't care about your own health, at least consider others. I think flu jabs should be compulsory for all staff working in hospitals, doctors, schools, care homes, universities and anywhere else they come into contact with large numbers of potentially vulnerable people. When news reports say people died of flu but had underlying medical conditions, they usually mean diabetes or asthma. Flu is a killer.

Smidge

TonyTruthful

The problem is there are different types of flu and the vaccine doesn’t cover all of them. You are gambling that your body will produce more antibodies after the vaccine and not that it reacts badly with your immune system.

If your fit and healthy and choose not to have the jab then this does not mean you are being irresponsible for not “caring for others”. You would be a complete mug to think that!

WeeWillie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dictators who positively go out of their way to force misery, tears and fears, upon their countryman's lives.
Politicians who, in dealing with dictators, have a wishbone where a backbone should be.
A bit late, :? "cependant, que sera sera".

I had the flu jab as usual this year at the beginning of
September, and for the first time since having the jab,
I found myself experiencing cold/flu symptoms the
following day.

I'd mentioned to the practice nurse years ago, that although
I'd never experienced it myself, I'd heard a few people
mention the jab actually gave them flu symptoms.
She assured me it was coincidence......I agreed.

But now, Hmmm.... I wonder.

Aaaaa, "Que sera sera"

Timely and thoughtful post, desidiabulum. :clap:
Hope most folks managed to read it before I spotted it.

willie. :thumbup:

collectingrocks

desidiabulum said:
OK, here we go....

And should patients take the flu jab when they come into hospital?
Answer: Yes, because otherwise they might infect sick and vulnerable staff.

And before you ask, I have friends in the NHS who don't go off sick lightly...

Pog-mo-thoin

Yes had my flu jab in September and when I was at my DB nurse for my 3 month check up she asked if I had had the pneumonia. jag, I didn't know you could get one, apparently you only need it once in your life time? Only down side was after about 6 hours it was like you had been punched in the arm hard!! And lasted for 2 days, but worth getting I suppose. :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

smcc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Some posters have strange perceptions of flu and its potential for producing severe illness. If you get an illnes which allows you to continue to work or to return to work within a few days, you have not had flu. When you get a dose of real flu you are unlikely to be able to get out of bed without major difficulty for several days and it is likely that you will take srveral weeks to recover full function. This applies to people with no underlying illness and of these a small number will be severely ill or die.
Diabetes greatly increases the risk of severe illness and death. I have only once had flu, in 1964. At that time I was young and healthy but still had to spend several days confined to bed.

I am now 70 and had nearly 40 years as a GP. I have had an annual flu vaccine during most of my working life and never suffered any adverse effects. I would strongly advise every diabetic to be immunised against flu and pneumococcus.

Er1nye5

I got the flu jab for the 2 yrs and both times I got so sick I was out cold for a day, in bed for the next 3 and generally unwell for at least 3 weeks after - I don't think it's a common occurrence but if it's all the same I think I might give it a miss this year, instead I'll be pumping myself with lots of vit c and zinc and using hand sanitizers like religion.

AlexMBrennan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How many sick and vulnerable people do you meet vs a hospital receptionist, nurse or doctor?
Answer: Yes, because otherwise they might infect sick and vulnerable staff.
How many other patients does a hospital patient interact with? How many patients does a receptionist, nurse or doctor interact with?

But your are right, of course - reluctance to have vaccines leads to a resurgence of vaccine-preventable diseases.

I'd mentioned to the practice nurse years ago, that although
I'd never experienced it myself, I'd heard a few people
mention the jab actually gave them flu symptoms.
She assured me it was coincidence......I agreed.
Well, obviously it wasn't a coincidence - that's why flu-like symptoms are listed as side effects.

You are gambling that your body will produce more antibodies after the vaccine and not that it reacts badly with your immune system.
I'm pretty sure that the mechanism of action of vaccines is well understood and you don't have to "gamble" on your body making antibodies.

Unbeliever

Its quite simple really. sometimes the vaccine causes mild side effecs. Compared to the effects of flu these are negligible.

Some unforunates -but a very small minority suffer more pronounced symptoms.

Unless you have reason to think that the vaccine is actually dangerous for you I believe we owe it to everyone else to have the vaccine .

Flu is a dangerous and often fatal illness. Why risk it for yourself and others? Vulnerable people can die from the common cold
I have known his happen. Not just the elderly but those recovering from serous illness with depressed immune systems.

Why are diabetics in the at-risk category.? Even if the vaccine is not quite geared to this year's strain of flu it can still afford somww protection and you will have done all you can to protect yourself and others

DonnaC-T

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had the jab for 19 years and will continue to do so. A year and a half ago I caught flu. I assume a different strain? It was five months after my jab.
I can honestly say I've never been so ill. Even my toenails ached, I couldn't move by myself. It was a good two months before my energy came back. Horrid illness. X

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
fireblade said:
If your feeling a bit under the weather should you have the flu jab ? [LOUDLY CRYING FACE]]

No I would wait until your well again.