remember the flu shot, everybody!

stoney

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
James and I both went for ours 2 weeks ago with me being asthmatic. I had mine In the usual way by needle in the arm, but the nurse said due to new guidelines children between the age of 2 - 18 have a syringe up each nostril. James had his this way with no side effects nor did I with mine. Any other parents come across this or is it just in Wales

:?

AlexMBrennan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No I would wait until your well again.
So does the NHS:
Fever and the flu jab

If you are ill with a fever, it's best to delay your flu vaccination until you have recovered. There is no need to delay your flu jab if you have a minor illness with no fever such as a cold.
Staff should ask if you are feeling ill before administering the vaccine.

James and I both went for ours 2 weeks ago with me being asthmatic. I had mine In the usual way by needle in the arm, but the nurse said due to new guidelines children between the age of 2 - 18 have a syringe up each nostril
Apparently a new treatment ( Fluenz) is more effective in children and is thus recommended:
The vaccine is given as a single dose of nasal spray squirted up each nostril. Not only is it needle-free (a big advantage for children), the nasal spray works even better than the injected flu vaccine with fewer side effects.

slaterk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Had my flu shot a few weeks ago and my pneumo jab a couple of weeks ago. No real problem with either but the pneumo jab does give you a dead arm for about 24 hours!

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
GP advised that pneumo was a once only; had mine in 2001. I have the flu jab every year and due to cytotoxic therapy for a very over active immune system always have a few rough days. The cytotoxic therapy trying to calm me down and the flu jab trying to get my immune system to protect me. BUT I have never had flu. Best to be protected no matter how little that may be.

JimArmstrong

Never had a flu shot. ever! I dont get sick that often. I am not convinced that a flu shot helps anything and know a lot of people that get the flu shot and still get sick. So its no shot for me!!!