1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

remember the flu shot, everybody!

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by desidiabulum, Sep 12, 2013.

1. stoney

stoney Parent · Well-Known Member

James and I both went for ours 2 weeks ago with me being asthmatic. I had mine In the usual way by needle in the arm, but the nurse said due to new guidelines children between the age of 2 - 18 have a syringe up each nostril. James had his this way with no side effects nor did I with mine. Any other parents come across this or is it just in Wales

:?

2. AlexMBrennan

AlexMBrennan Type 1 · Well-Known Member

So does the NHS:
    Staff should ask if you are feeling ill before administering the vaccine.

Apparently a new treatment ( Fluenz) is more effective in children and is thus recommended:

3. slaterk

slaterk Type 1 · Active Member

Had my flu shot a few weeks ago and my pneumo jab a couple of weeks ago. No real problem with either but the pneumo jab does give you a dead arm for about 24 hours!

4. Alanp35

Alanp35 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

GP advised that pneumo was a once only; had mine in 2001. I have the flu jab every year and due to cytotoxic therapy for a very over active immune system always have a few rough days. The cytotoxic therapy trying to calm me down and the flu jab trying to get my immune system to protect me. BUT I have never had flu. Best to be protected no matter how little that may be.

5. JimArmstrong

JimArmstrong · Member

Never had a flu shot. ever! I dont get sick that often. I am not convinced that a flu shot helps anything and know a lot of people that get the flu shot and still get sick. So its no shot for me!!!

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook