Tonsillitis

sheil19

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Has anyone had constant cases of tonsillitis that cause havoc with your BG levels? If you got them removed how was everything after the op as I presume you're on a more liquid diet for a few days although I hear it's got to eat solids as it helps with the healing process. Cheers

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Re: Tonsillitis

I'll 'bump' your post up Sheil in the hope that someone will reply.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I only had one bout while I had diabetes, but I had them removed in July. I'm in the honeymoon period still so that may have made a difference. Same BI as usual though and just did QA for what I ate, so no major changes

sheil19

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just been prescribed a 10 day course of penicillin followed by a 6 MONTH small dose of penicillin. Doctor is hopeful that this will kill it off and allow me to get back training full time and not have to get them taken out. Bring on next season!!

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's crazy! Before diabetes I was having tonsillitis about 6 or 7 times a year and was only ever given 1-2 weeks antibiotics at a time!

sheil19

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds hectic alright but it's worth a shot rather than getting my tonsils out. After the initial 10 day high dose the next 6 month dose is only a tablet a day before bed. The theory behind it which I'm led to believe is that it will kill off the small amounts of infection in the tonsils and hopefully stop my recurring bouts.....worth a shot!!

este

Re: Tonsillitis

I had my tonsils out this June after a few bad cases a year, I used to faint, vomit and my throat was so swollen I couldn't eat so my blood sugars were all over the place. The operation wasn't a great experience in terms of pain but after about a week I started needing less pain killers and the worst of it was over after about 4 or 5 days. Ice lollies and warm drinks were the best things to eat, although I tried to eat at every meal time (sometimes failed!) The doctor put in a plan which considered my diabetes during surgery and before and after, although I was warned I wouldn't be allowed the surgery if I demonstrated poor control due to risk of infection. I'm currently enjoying my first illness free winter in a long while so I would definitely recommend the surgery if you are prepared for a couple of nasty weeks but long term benefits.