Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Excellent news, use the search facility in the top right-hand corner for previous threads on the DAFNE course.

nigelho

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, For most type 1s the DAFNE can be a a real eye opener. It was for me and my control and general health is so much better. I now feel happier in managing my diabetes and can usually work out what's happening if I do go a bit high. Most of the time my day readings are in single figures and I am working on getting my morning BGs stable in single figures.

simking

It's great! I wish I'd been able to go on it when I was newly diagnosed. I learnt so much, enjoyed hearing others experiences and it allows a lot more flexibility with what you eat (although my family and friends still annoy me by asking "are you sure you can eat that" etc etc). During the course we went out for a meal, which allowed us to work out our carb portions (CP) and not be anxious about what we could eat, which made the social occasion very enjoyable.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I don't we'll ever get to be in the same room as so many other type 1's...... that's for sure!

I thought it was strange when we went for lunch on the first day, 8 people testing their pre-prandial bg and then injecting insulin, not one person in the restaurant give us so much as a glance :)

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
just doing it this week, even though I have pretty god control, and am on low dose anyway, they've been very helpful in reducing these even further and getting the basal doses right.

I've now taken my basal dose down from 6 am and 8 pm to 3 and 6.

It's very narrowly focused and one of the dieticians here was being very rigid in term of refusing to answer certain questions and or preventing the class members doing so, so she was not getting the best value out of the knowledge in the room. Some of the sessions were pretty mickey-mouse in my opinion and my experience, with an assumption that they had to start at the lowest common denominator, so bear that in mind.

Overall though, any T1 should be able to get value out of it, even the guy on my course who's been T1 for 30 years.

Etty

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Was she refusing to answer questions about low carb diets?

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
It is a very good course and yes it's good to get to speak to other diabetics but don't expect much dietary advice to be honest. They do not push low carb at all, they teach that anything can be eaten. The individual tailoring of insulin regime, meeting others, sick day rules and alcohol were the highlights for me. For many regulars on this forum doing a DAFNE, you will probably know much of the course content already. Highly reccomended though.
Mo

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dafne discussion gets to a low carb discussion how?

Its it meant to be a low carb course, DAFLCE (dose adjusting for low carb eating) or does it teach how to adjust your insulin for normal eating (note not high carb eating) and advise on changing doses for sickness, exercise, basal checking, how many extra carbs to eat before unplanned activity etc.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It does not even consider that low carb could be a valid opinion.

Basically the Dose Adjustment for NORMAL EATING assumes a very narrow definition of NORMAL and if you don't fit that version of normal, you're on your own.

For example, they consider that no vegetables have carbs, and that lentils/beans/pulses contain no carbs - absolute ********, so when the Indian woman and myself who both eat large quantities of roots and/or lentils etc ask questions, one of the dieticians flatly refused to answer because it was "not DAFNE principles".

As Mo said though, some other very useful stuff.

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
at my course their was my dsn alongside the hospital dietician. Covered loads of different topics, including veg lol. One session included recording the previous days food and readings pre bed, morning, and pre and post meal. Was advised to do this on first day. admittedly, only one day but one day dedicated to discussing individual diets, results and advice from course instructors and participants to help with any problems/concerns. All questions asked and answered.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
re root veg and lentils
It's interesting because on my courses over here in France, they are very definitive about the composition of meals ,(normal eating is a 'balanced meal' with everything in it's correct place) but pulses and roots are considered to be starches ie in the bit of the meal that includes rice or potatoes or bread.
They are lower GI so that means that that might require a different dosing strategy . I've never been told to count them as a free veg but then I've always been told to estimate the carbs in all veggies and to take them into account.

(if you can read very basic French then this is a pdf of the booklet I was given. I still find it a useful resource for estimating the carbs in a wide variety of things (quince or plantain anyone?)
http://chretiens.republicains.perso.neu ... ucides.pdf
(It used to be on the Medtronic site, obviously this is a personal site but seems OK)

Etty

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
How do you work out how much carbohydrate you are eating on DAPHNE? Do they have a pamphlet ? Didn't they used to have a food exchange system decades ago?

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Either from food packaging, or carbs and cals book lists nearly all foods containing carbs. If food listed says a carb value per 100g, then divide the carb value by 100 to give a per gram value. Times that by the weight of your food, hey presto.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Etty said:
How do you work out how much carbohydrate you are eating on DAPHNE? Do they have a pamphlet ? Didn't they used to have a food exchange system decades ago?

They did have food exchanges, that's how I started. There is a small but basic booklet given out on the DAFNE course, however as Brett says your better off buying a more comprehensive book like Carbs & Cals or the Calorie Carb & Fat Bible, almost all food packaging contains the nutritional information now.