please help im lost and confused

beckz

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
newsyear new me! i need help! im a 27 year old "healthy" female who put on three and half stone, 2 years ago, this weight gain has left me with frequent low blood sugar spells, dizzyness, unable to exercise ( i wonder weather im insulin resistant) when doing anything physical it feels like im wearing down my sugars, i start to get shakey , weak and my eyes go blurry, i have to sit and rest or i actually start to black out. Now docs DO NOT KNOW what to do, what it is etc, please help, is anyone familiar with this? im losing the weight i put on, 1 and half down! 2 more to go :) thank you for reading

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Hi

How do you know you have low blood sugar? Have you been testing? Do you have any levels to share?

Cara

Dazza1984

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
If u were insulin resistant you would have high blood sugars and loosing wt (plus all typical diabetes symptoms). I would support carraway msg in that can you share some readings?

Low blood sugars can occur for many reasons; even in 'normal people.' For example if you do a lot of exercise and don't eat much then you can get low. Yeah, your liver will try to compensate but it is a slower system in comparison to the release of insulin from pancreas.

Let us know?
D

beckz

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
i have tested and lowest ive been is 3.0, but my numbers seem to be "normal" i just have the problem with physical activity, ie at work running around getting stock for customers i get woozy, dizzy, lightheaded, then my eyes go blurry and hazy i also get excessive yawning when this happens and feels like i will fall asleep, and eating and resting cures it

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i have tested and lowest ive been is 3.0, but my numbers seem to be "normal" i just have the problem with physical activity, ie at work running around getting stock for customers i get woozy, dizzy, lightheaded, then my eyes go blurry and hazy i also get excessive yawning when this happens and feels like i will fall asleep, and eating and resting cures it
You really need to ask for more blood tests eg for thyroid because you really need to find out what is causing this
CAROL

beckz

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
they wont help me, ive had anxiety and agoraphobia in the past and it keeps getting put down to anxiety, its driving me crazy! my boss is concerned at work, as he sees me sitting down swaeting and shaking, and crying (i panic when this happens). i really dont know what to do,just last week my doc told me that he doesnt know what else they can do for me, they have ran all the tests and all comes back negative :( but my argument is, test me when im physically active as something is obviosly going wrong

Q007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who tell lies.
My GP (Dr Doom).
they wont help me, ive had anxiety and agoraphobia in the past and it keeps getting put down to anxiety, its driving me crazy! my boss is concerned at work, as he sees me sitting down swaeting and shaking, and crying (i panic when this happens). i really dont know what to do,just last week my doc told me that he doesnt know what else they can do for me, they have ran all the tests and all comes back negative :( but my argument is, test me when im physically active as something is obviosly going wrong

Hiya, You're not on your own with the mix of agoraphobia & anxiety. I know how it feels hun, it's a curse isn't it. I managed to beat it, I took Diazepam which work very quickly and will stop the anxiety turning into panics because that's the order they come in. There is another drug you can safely take called Pregabalin which, together, will see off your problems. Please do google both for more information. You have to get a grip on both these, when this happened to me it destroyed my ability to work and it went from not going out to not going out of my room. Please talk to your GP before it gets there. There isn't a cure as such for either, they can only help you. But the longer you wait for that help the tougher the task of helping you through it. You've been very brave to post it here, well done. Remember, your GP doesn't have to prescribe you anything, so do your research on google and plan the way you ask for a trial of these medicines. I really feel for you, Who feels it knows as the Rastaman say. Kind wishes Q..

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

beckz

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
thanks for your reply, ive beaten agoraphobia, but as its an anxiety disorder, they wont take me seriously about near passing out etc they say its anxiety but i know the difference! this is a physical thing im experfiencing and id i dint stop and rest and eat, i WILL get to the point where i pass out. Could this be prediabetes? it feels like my cells are not responding even though i have normal blood sugars, my cells are not getting to them when needed

collectingrocks

Hi Beckz

Have you thought of trying an anti-candida diet? Sometimes pancreatic function can be affected by candida. Overproduction of insulin drives down blood sugar leading to constant hypoglycaemia. The brain needs glucose to function and without it, you get the confusion, fog, panic attacks etc - i.e. you are "not yourself".

collectingrocks

Hi Beckz

Have you thought of trying an anti-candida diet? Sometimes pancreatic function can be affected by candida. Overproduction of insulin drives down blood sugar leading to constant hypoglycaemia. The brain needs glucose to function and without it, you get the confusion, fog, panic attacks etc - i.e. you are "not yourself".

Oh and I forgot....candida is like a yeast/fungus, it needs sugar to thrive. As you have too much sugar in the bloodstream, this is feeding the candida. Just my tuppence worth...

tizzy

You are not alone with these things you are experience ing long before I was diabetic I was in the same boat I even paid privately to try to get help I had ear pains felt so ill had to sleep all the time in the end I said to my gp so if you think it's all in my head seand me to a psychiatrist so he did I have been on and off antidepressants from a very young age the thing is if nothing is really physically wrong with you I know from experience it feels like something is really is there is nothing to be ashamed of many many people have the same I take diazepam occaisionly still I do think really high stress levels may have caused my diabetes probably wrong all the things people have said on here ask you gp for tests hope you feel better soon

collectingrocks

As I understand, hyperinsulinaemia means high insulin levels in blood and elevated blood sugar. This results in insulin resistance in cells, cells being starved of glucose (e.g. brain) leading to hypoglycaemia which in turn points to many of your symptoms.

Your brain desperately needs glucose but the insulin-resistant cells of the brain won't accept it. Perhaps somebody more knowledgeable on here could advise on how to bypass the normal physiologic mechanism so that your brain gets the glucose it needs.

mpe

As I understand, hyperinsulinaemia means high insulin levels in blood and elevated blood sugar. This results in insulin resistance in cells, cells being starved of glucose (e.g. brain) leading to hypoglycaemia which in turn points to many of your symptoms.

More likely hyperinsulinaemia is a response to insulin resistance.

Your brain desperately needs glucose but the insulin-resistant cells of the brain won't accept it. Perhaps somebody more knowledgeable on here could advise on how to bypass the normal physiologic mechanism so that your brain gets the glucose it needs.

IIRC neurons (and possibly glial cells) don't need insulin to take glucose from the blood. Thus they can't become insulin resistant. They can become "gluco-adapted" rendering them vulnerable to any degree of hypoglycaemia.
There's a common myth that neurons can only use glucose for respiration. Since they contain plenty of mitochondria this is not the case. The issue is the blood-brain barrier which prevents anything too large getting to the neurons. Instead of fats, delivered by either chylomicrons or VLDL, the brain will use ketones, short chain alpha hydroxy acids and medium chain carboxylic acids. (Possibly propantriol esters of the latter).

collectingrocks

Ah excellent post mpe and you make some really interesting points.. So one must wonder that in Beckz's case, her brain neurons are not getting the ketones she needs due, ?due to problems with getting them across the blood-brain barrier. So what's the answer? Would a neurologist or naturopath have the answer?

janewatt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

This strongly reminds me of the way migraine has sometimes manifested itself with me.
There are an amazing number of ways it can show; often nothing to do with a headache.
Sometimes when suffering your symptoms I would eat toast and honey or other high carb/sugar stuff available (eg packet of biscuits) and drink strong coffee. Then lie on floor and sleep for few minutes. Wake up refreshed and able to carry on. Obviously these remedies not always possible!

Suffered always (as child called "acidosis" and given glucose), later appalling headaches and vomiting, in bed for days. Now 61 diagnosed Type 2 for 4 years.

Caused great anxiety as worried about occasions when might miss a meal. Fear of getting migraine if unable to eat on time. Caused anxiety & depression. Fear of being ill and unable to get home. Became psychologically dependent on food as saw it as "cure" for illness.

I do have some ideas of what you could do if you think this might be a cause of your problems. Unfortunately difficult to diagnose.

Just another possibility to consider. It's so upsetting when you can't find out the problem and may not be taken competely seriously because anxiety issues are involved.

Very happy to offer more information about my experiences if you think you might be able to use something from them.

With my very best wishes,

Jane.

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Disregard for authority. Noise.
newsyear new me! i need help! im a 27 year old "healthy" female who put on three and half stone, 2 years ago, this weight gain has left me with frequent low blood sugar spells, dizzyness, unable to exercise ( i wonder weather im insulin resistant) when doing anything physical it feels like im wearing down my sugars, i start to get shakey , weak and my eyes go blurry, i have to sit and rest or i actually start to black out. Now docs DO NOT KNOW what to do, what it is etc, please help, is anyone familiar with this? im losing the weight i put on, 1 and half down! 2 more to go :) thank you for reading
What are you eating prior to these dizzy, shakey episodes. Could you be subject to reactive hypoglycaemia? I would test my own BG levels on a regular basis and try to keep them in the safe range and then you might feel on a more even keel. Then you can get your thyroid checked and the other things advised above... (my humble opinion)

Dogbutler

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hi Beckz,
The symptoms you describe sound very much like a reaction to an excess of adrenaline. This happens when your anxiety becomes overwhelming and your body goes into the 'fight or flight' response.
Anxiety is a very real problem and it has a terrible effect on quality of life, don't let your gp belittle the condition - there are things that can be done to make you feel better. As a mental health nurse I've got mixed feelings about diazepam (valium), it's very good at its job which makes it very addictive. In the long run it can cause more problems than it cures.
Having said that, perhaps your gp could prescribe a short course of diazepam to establish whether anxiety is really at the bottom of your problems.
Ness x

SaffieMS

Type of diabetes
Type 2
What are you eating prior to these dizzy, shakey episodes. Could you be subject to reactive hypoglycaemia? I would test my own BG levels on a regular basis and try to keep them in the safe range and then you might feel on a more even keel. Then you can get your thyroid checked and the other things advised above... (my humble opinion)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App