Some advice with blood sugar control very high

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Andrea.
Would your hubby allow you and him to go together to see your gp?
It sounds like meds arent suiting him...

Aside from that Andrea... Well done you for caring so much for your hubbys health when you have your own to deal with. I wish I lived with you for your lovely home made meals....
Well done, but try to get a double appt with GP with you going as well...

dumpy222

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
quote="Carbdodger, post: 444738, member: 37071"]Whoooaaa hold on there. I'm not advocating a cauliflower diet! A low carb diet is super varied and delicious.
Meals this week have included:
Breakfasts - eggs and bacon, chorizo omelette, bacon sarnie in low carb minute muffin bread
Lunch - asparagus soup, smoked mackerel salad, chicken tomato avocado salad
Dinner - roast belly of pork with roast veg, steak, asparagus and mushrooms, Thai green chicken curry

The curry was the only dish with cauli rice!

If I'd wanted more food (which I didn't) I would have added in flax crackers with cheese or pâté, Lidl's yogurt with berries, sugar free jelly with cream, kale chips, .......

I've also been to the gym each day for about 90 mins a session so getting plenty of energy from this way of eating.

It is a complete misconception that low carb = boring.

Cd[/quote]

Hi what are kale chips

Reactions: 3 people

robbo5662

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
testing bs
Hello I am posting on behalf of my husband who is a techno phobic.
He is 66 and was diagnosed with type 2 when he had a heart bypass 12 years ago

To be honest he has been in denial all that time and had abused himself with what he eats
these can include sweets meant for kids , crisp, pies, chips, cakes.

I have kept on at him but to no avail

The past fortnight he blood sugars have been in the 20 obviously he has had headaches and felt tired and had a wake up call.

He will make every excuse going for not exercising and for comfort eating . The same as I do for smoking

He takes 1000 mg slow release metformin daily which he takes in the morning ( he still gets the dumping urge and the runs)
He also takes
Aspirin 75 mg
Levothyroxine 125 mg
Amlodipine 10 mg
Atenolol 50 mg
Omeprazole 10 mg
He takes all these in the morning at the same time
and takes Perindopril 8mg at night

His blood sugar this morning was 11.4

he has just eaten two hard boiled eggs and two slices of burgen sunflower and chia with real butter

I have told him to take his bloods again in 2 hours time

normally 2 hours after eating anything his bloods are 17.4

how much should he drink water wise in the day

and what is the average for morning blood sugar levels

Our GP doesnt seem at all bothered but surely maintaining high blood between 11 and 20 is not healthy

Andrea

robbo5662

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
testing bs
Hi Andrea and husband
I think you already know that these bs levels are very high it's ok to monitor the bs levels but the thing is you need to control how much sugar you are eating, I know this seems to be a hard thing to do but there is a way you can do it and best of all it's free.
I use a web site called calorie counter which is for people who want to lose weight but it gives you a lot more information than how many calories
you eat, and one of the things it tells you is how much sugar you have consumed that day.
it gives you a break down of where the sugar in your diet is coming from so you can adjust what you eat to bring down your sugar intake.
it took me a little while to learn how to use the site but when you get your head around it it will become easier to use.
I found this site invaluable and it taught me a lot about food, and when I started to control my sugar intake I also lost a lot of weight
this could be something that will help you and if you need any help with it just ask me I will try my best to help.
you can email me; [email protected]