Metformin or not?

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello

I was managing my Type 2 Diabetes rather well for the last 2 years since diagnosis.
I worked hard to alter both my Diet and lifestyle and have manages to remain med free.
About 4 months ago I developed a knee injury, this prevented me from my usual daily attack of the cross trainer.
I'm due surgery for a cartilage tear hopefully near the end of February.
Also, I suffered Appendicitis, so that was whipped out end of November.
I have just started to resume exercise.
Naturally over the Christmas period, red wine and Scotch were my friends too.
For the last two weeks, Ive detoxed and made noticable improvements with my blood sugar readings than when I was merry or incapacitated.
Worried I couldn't stick to my usual healthy regime, I called for a Hb1ac, (I usually average around 6.8 in old money).
The latest test result has come back as 58 or 7.5 I believe.
Reading around I see articles saying that this is the top end of what a T2 should achieve. I know it should really be lower though!
The Doctor has returned a verdict that I should start on a controlled release Metformin at least twice a day.
I would like some advice then please.
Given I can now exercise again and eating healthily, only with moderate (weekend) alcohol consumption, is my Doctor being too hasty in prescribing Metformin at this stage ?
I've proven I can keep it in control after all, or am I being too proud and should I throw in the towel?- pardon the phrase.
Any advice gratefully received.
My gut instinct is when I can exercise and diet properly, me and Diabetes seem to get along okay.
But i will say I expected a much higher latest Hb1ac given the circumstances as my meter was punching around 10mmol over the last few months.
One week into detox and moderate (until knee surgery) exercise I'm now down to 7mmol average.
Kind regards
Chris

chubbyian

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Arrogance
Hi MCM,
I am new to this, dx in sep last year, but to be honest I would go for the metformin. Only my opinion, but I hate taking any form of medication, so I researched metformin, and I have to say most of the side effects are good, ( apart from some people have stomach problems) I am so happy on 3 a day that at my last checkup I was told I could come down to 2, which I did for a week, but did not feel as good, so am back on 3 and very happy. I also reduce carbs, and try to work out 3 times a week.

Hop the knee op goes well. :oldman:

cath99

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
rude d/n nurses and being treated like im wierd because im diabetic
im new on them as my first a1 come back as 80 so got 3 months to lower it . its not to bad ive only had sicky feeling with them but has subsided now after month. its hard to say or not but maybe try them for 3 months after your training again then you will be back to health and on track see if they take u of them, worth try good luck hope ur feeling better now x

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I would avoid medication and save it until you need it more
IF you can get your levels down again without help I would do that first.

If you'd been at the docs today as a new diabetic the chance are he/she would say, try 3 months to reduce your levels with diet and exercise.

I am not sure if Type 2 has to be progressive if well managed?

Let us know what you decide to do

Cara

turvell

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
been type 2 and the fact i get no sodding help from the NHS at all
my diabetic nurse wanted me to go on meds the day they diagnosed me. i was 6.5 HBA1c. i dont want to go on pills i say give me 6 moths to see what i can do myself. to happy to shove pills down me at my surgery

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
If your bg levels are rising and your doctor has advised you to start medication you would be wise to follow his advice.

If your HbA1c is going up you need to do something to bring it down again and Metformin will help you achieve this gaol.

Of course you can totally disregard what your doctor says,,,,,,,but do you really think thats a good idea?

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
I would avoid medication and save it until you need it more............

I am not sure if Type 2 has to be progressive if well managed?

If this members bg levels have gone up recently his diabetes is clearly not well managed is it? Are you seriously telling someone not to follow their doctors advice?

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Yes Sid, in a way, I am. Although I am not "telling " him, I am giving an opinion.

Chris gave a very clear explanation of why he thinks his levels have gone up.

There is no reason to think his condition has worsened, only his habits. Which many of us are guilty of over Christmas.

Clearly he wants input from others which is why he posted here. I do the same when I am mulling things over.

It is not my place to 'tell' someone what to do.

Cara

Reactions: 3 people

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and thanks for all the replies so far.

In a nutshell I've got my bloods down before and whilst at present I'm higher than I should be, I think with some confidence I can put it down to post op and no exercise combined with Xmas.
It is a degenerative condition, I like a challenge and I'm inspired by people who've beaten it.
But it's an ongoing thing, a life sentence if you will and I'm under no illusion that one day I may not get to be so Holistic in my approach towards Diabetes.
I wish Doctors were as prevalent in their supply of test strips as they are keen to sign us all off on Metformin and Statins, fortunately I've avoided the latter but they did threaten me with them too lol.
I take a multivitamin, African Mango and Bilberry for a Varicocele.
Fenugreek comes out the pores I found.
I'm drinking Matcha green tea now also so I will monitor my bloods over the next fortnight and log my process.
If it turns out I have to give in then I'm happy to admit it, but I've got to give it a shot first.

Many thanks

Chris

dlmoak

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been on Metformin since it was introduced as brand name Glucofage many years ago. It is a safe drug and has other benefits besides helping control blood sugars, such as cancer prevention. There are people who have gastric issues taking it (diarrhoea, etc.), but otherwise no issues. Usually, because of the gastric issues, patients are started on a 500 mg dose once a day. This dose is sub-therapeutic and is given to see how the patient handles the drug. The smallest therapeutic dose is 1500 mg. some people who have issues tolerate the drug better taking the extended release version with the evening meal. Hope this helps.

Reactions: 2 people

Montana

Dislikes
Anyone moody negative or judgemental
Can anyone explain why for 18 months I've been on just 1 x 500 mg plus a sitagliptin if this is only a starting dose. I was put on both tablets on the same day with no explanation as to why. I've since read that sitagliptin is only used as an add on if the metformin is not working on its own.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Can anyone explain why for 18 months I've been on just 1 x 500 mg plus a sitagliptin if this is only a starting dose. I was put on both tablets on the same day with no explanation as to why. I've since read that sitagliptin is only used as an add on if the metformin is not working on its own.

Sitagliptin and Metformin work in very different ways.

Metformin
Firstly, it reduces the amount of sugar produced by cells in the liver. Secondly, it increases the sensitivity of muscle cells to insulin. This enables the cells to remove sugar from the blood more effectively. Finally, it also delays absorption of sugar from the intestines into the bloodstream after eating.
http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/diabetes/medicines/glucophage.html

Sitagliptin
Works by helping the beta cells in your pancreas produce more insulin but only when you eat.
http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/diabetes/medicines/januvia.html

So a combination of these two drugs is a commonly used as they work in totally different ways and act on different parts of your anatomy.

I assume you are fairly well controlled or your GP would increase your Metformin to a higher dose but even a single 500mg tablet can still be useful and as posted above has been shown to be helpful in preventing some cancers.

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thankyou for all the replies.
One week in of detox, exercise and diet control has given me encouraging results and I've honestly halved the 10mmol I was getting.
I will see how I go.
Funny how prior to my knee problem, my scenario echoed that of Mercabrio.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
Well done 1973. You seem to have got on top of your blip. Should you need to take metformin in the future, however, It does have many plus points. As well as those mentioned above, it also has a protective property for the heart. Of course, taking any diabetes medication would b=ring you within the cover provided by the Equality Act 2010 and entitle you to free prescriptions. By the way, I was fortunate in not having any gastric issues from taking metformin.

Regards

Doug

Hong Kong D2

Well done 1973. You seem to have got on top of your blip. Should you need to take metformin in the future, however, It does have many plus points. As well as those mentioned above, it also has a protective property for the heart. Of course, taking any diabetes medication would b=ring you within the cover provided by the Equality Act 2010 and entitle you to free prescriptions. By the way, I was fortunate in not having any gastric issues from taking metformin.

Regards

Doug
My doctor has told me he wants my cholesterol level down to 1.8 otherwise I have to increase my lipotar currently taking Aprrovel 10mg.Really struggling to get control of blood sugars when I told my doctor that porridge spiked my blood sugar readings to above 10 he said go away and eat bread! I generally try to follow a very low carb diet. Feel helpless. Has anyone tried Dr Mark Hymans detox diet yet?

parameswaran

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello

I was managing my Type 2 Diabetes rather well for the last 2 years since diagnosis.
I worked hard to alter both my Diet and lifestyle and have manages to remain med free.
About 4 months ago I developed a knee injury, this prevented me from my usual daily attack of the cross trainer.
I'm due surgery for a cartilage tear hopefully near the end of February.
Also, I suffered Appendicitis, so that was whipped out end of November.
I have just started to resume exercise.
Naturally over the Christmas period, red wine and Scotch were my friends too.
For the last two weeks, Ive detoxed and made noticable improvements with my blood sugar readings than when I was merry or incapacitated.
Worried I couldn't stick to my usual healthy regime, I called for a Hb1ac, (I usually average around 6.8 in old money).
The latest test result has come back as 58 or 7.5 I believe.
Reading around I see articles saying that this is the top end of what a T2 should achieve. I know it should really be lower though!
The Doctor has returned a verdict that I should start on a controlled release Metformin at least twice a day.
I would like some advice then please.
Given I can now exercise again and eating healthily, only with moderate (weekend) alcohol consumption, is my Doctor being too hasty in prescribing Metformin at this stage ?
I've proven I can keep it in control after all, or am I being too proud and should I throw in the towel?- pardon the phrase.
Any advice gratefully received.
My gut instinct is when I can exercise and diet properly, me and Diabetes seem to get along okay.
But i will say I expected a much higher latest Hb1ac given the circumstances as my meter was punching around 10mmol over the last few months.
One week into detox and moderate (until knee surgery) exercise I'm now down to 7mmol average.
Kind regards
Chris

Hi MCM,

I would recommend you to follow the instruction of your Doctor. Metformin is safe and proven medicine for treating diabetes. So start medicine as per doctor's advice along with controlled diet and exercise). Monitor BG frequently and once its under control gradually reduce medicine.