Confused and scared and crying a bit

Fallgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been feeling badly for a long time now. I had surgery for skin cancer in November and have to have another surgery (same site) again in a few weeks. Still, I knew something else was wrong with me and I suspected diabetes. I went to Lloyd's yesterday for a random test and my reading was 19.7. They gave me a referral paper and told me to be seen in 3 days. I called the doctor's this morning and the receptionist told me that she had no appointments available for the next week, and for me to call each day at 8 a.m. to see if anyone cancelled that day. So I don't know when I will get to see the doctor. I always have a problem getting an appointment at our surgery.

Still, I think I ought to start checking my BG, so I need to get a meter. I've been researching them for a couple days and am more confused than ever. My main concerns are making it as painless as possible, and as cheap as possible (for the strips). I am really scared to puncture my own finger. When the woman at Lloyd's did it, it really stung, and continued to sting for about 30 minutes afterward. I know there are some kits that allow you to dial down the depth of the puncture, and I've read tips on how to do it without it hurting too much. I've seen kits that require far less blood than others, so I imagine less blood = less pain? Still, I am scared to do it to myself and would appreciate any suggestions based on your experience, for a kit that is a bit more gentle.

If a more gentle kit was combined with a bit lower price on strips, I'd be in heaven.

It is so hard to compare all these meters (I found tons of them!) when you're new to all this.

Thank you. :)

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Don't.know too much about you, age, current level, weight etc so my advice would be sod the doctor, (did u tell themu had a referall to be seen in 3 days)
Go to a and e, explain what has happened. They will test you and advise.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

fatbird

Hello Fallgal, times are tough for you at the moment-but times change-stay posting-there are some very good people here who can help you.

The very best of luck.

FB

Reactions: 2 people

Fallgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am female, 46 and overweight. No other health concerns besides the skin cancer. Don't know what you mean by 'current level'. I did tell the woman about the referral, and that the reading was very high. I was about to say "19.7" and she talked completely over me and reiterated that she had NO appointments available. She always talks super fast and doesn't let you explain and just talks over me.

Fallgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello Fallgal, times are tough for you at the moment-but times change-stay posting-there are some very good people here who can help you.

The very best of luck.

FB
Thanks, FB :)

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Get an SD Codefree Meter. They have the cheapest strips. Although meters are given out free by some companies the strips work out more expensive, so it's worth buying one as you'll save in the long run.

Ask for an urgent appointment next week. Dont let the receptionist walk all over you, demand the practice manager if she wont fit you in. Or get someone else to call!

There are lots of ways to make the finger prick hurt less, use the side of your finger, sharp new needles, etc, dont panic.

When you get your levels sorted you may be able to test less.

Make your first priority weight loss. It will help enormously. IT did for me and for many others here.

Cara

Reactions: 2 people

Fallgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks, Cara. I will look for that one. I remember seeing a review on it somewhere.

I think I'll have my DH call. I am an American, living in England with my English husband. I have this thing where if I (rightly) assert myself, I feel I am coming off as a "pushy" or "ugly American", so I tend to speak my mind far less here than I did back home!

Madbazoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If I cant get an appointment via the receptionist I usually ask for a call back from one of the GP's as our surgery nearly always have some free appointments most days but they can only be booked by the doctors. I have never had a problem seeing someone if it is urgent. Worth a try?

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
i agree with brett, go to a&e, so its a wasted night at least you will be looked at, if not id waste the 30 pound and buy a meter in the chemist tommorow just while you wait for the internet one to come, personally i would want to know whats going on straight away, maybe turn up at the doctors in the morning and say you will sit there until a doctor will see you, worth a try

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Amazon have the Code Free at a good price.

Start doing a bit of research on diet and try to exercise if you can, As well as being good for you physically it can help lift your mood.

DONT PANIC!

We can help you help yourself

Cara

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
If I cant get an appointment via the receptionist I usually ask for a call back from one of the GP's as our surgery nearly always have some free appointments most days but they can only be booked by the doctors. I have never had a problem seeing someone if it is urgent. Worth a try?

i was seeing my dn one day and saw the doc immediately afterwards , i told the doc the dn wanted me to have an appointment for something but the desk said i couldnt for a fortnight or something, the doctor picked up the phone to reception and i had an appointment that day, so i agree with madbazoo

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks, Cara. I will look for that one. I remember seeing a review on it somewhere.

I think I'll have my DH call. I am an American, living in England with my English husband. I have this thing where if I (rightly) assert myself, I feel I am coming off as a "pushy" or "ugly American", so I tend to speak my mind far less here than I did back home!

Always speak your mind, u have too, especially with doctors receptionists lol

bernie.freeman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
selfish people
Fallgal,

You are having a difficult time at the moment and don't need to be talked down to by your doctor's receptionist. Be assertive , get your point across, you deserve better. God luck, xx

Fallgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks, everyone for your suggestions and support.

I went to A&E this morning. My fasting test was 11.3. I was given literature and had a brief talk with a nurse. I was told to follow up with my GP. I am going to town this afternoon to get a meter. I will talk with the chemist about them as well.

Fallgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am still going to order a SD Codefree monitor. Should I order the one that measures in mmol/l or mg/dl? Thank you!

hawnet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
judgemental people, billy liars,
Good luck with your doctor and ask for a healthy I and desmond course if your region does them, because my GP was useless, I also looked up my local diabetic centre and spoke to them too, really helpful.

And the people on this forum are brilliant.

keep smiling you are not alone, my fasting test was 16.9. and you really need to see your hba1c.

chubbyian

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Arrogance
I am still going to order a SD Codefree monitor. Should I order the one that measures in mmol/l or mg/dl? Thank you!
Hi Fallgal,
First of all well done for taking control. you are so doing the right thing. I would go for a mmol/l as this is the measurement most often used here in the UK. If you are going back to the states, then you might get on better with the mg/dl. but whichever there are charts on this site to get both readings. :)
As so many have said, dont panic, just be resolute about what YOU want, check out your diet, again plenty of advice on here, take your time and dont forget to breath :p

Fallgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good luck with your doctor and ask for a healthy I and desmond course if your region does them, because my GP was useless, I also looked up my local diabetic centre and spoke to them too, really helpful.

And the people on this forum are brilliant.

keep smiling you are not alone, my fasting test was 16.9. and you really need to see your hba1c.

What is a "healthy I and desmond course"?