nearly everything but my insulin has been withdrawn

nmr1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I recently asked for a third time for a box of bayer ketostix and I am now questioning if they have been withdrawn and same with glucogel. I hope the doctors realize that I need both of these things as I don't have any way to test my ketones if I have any and I don't have anything to counter the hypo's, would have thought they put patients safety first, i guess not.

A similar troubling story with the 4mm needles where I request them from the chemist and they have none left, I asked again for the product with the different name but same size of needle, I go to another chemist and they give me the same story. I can't inject more than 4mm because I have no fat on my body and I will inject into the muscle which is not recommended.

I only really need to know if ketostix and glucogel have been discontinued or not.

Garr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm still getting BD microfine 4mm needles and glucogel with no problems. Don't know about the ketostix though as I use a Glucomen LX meter that tests ketones.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I recently attended a DAFNE course and was told the urine ketostix are not recommended any more due to inaccuracy. They wrote to my doc and told them to change meter to one that can measure for ketones. I was told this was common practice now.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
My GF was given ketostix a week ago and a gel called gluco boost

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. There is no shortage of BD Microfine 4mm needles which my chemist always has in stock. They did change their branding late last year so you have to make sure the GP is using the latest correct name. As far as I know Glucogel is still available and you can get Ketostix on the web. I wonder whether you are just worried about hypos or actually having them quite often? Are you having problems with good blood sugar control? Do you need more guidance from the GP on dose adjustment or perhaps we can help with hints? I always have packets of glucose tablets handy and although not always as useful with a full hypo as Glucogel they are very cheap and can be bought anywhere. BTW I'm surprised you actually need Ketostix. With some exceptions ketones normally only appear if you have very high blood sugar and are in ketosis as well; perhaps you are one of those exceptions?

G2ADY

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you guys using Glucogel for hypos? If I get a bit low, ie below 4 then I use glucose tablets. I always thought that glucogel was in case I ever needed assistance? I have a couple of tubes but I've never used them. I suppose it's kinder to teeth than glucose tablets!

Garr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No, just for someone else to use, hopefully never have to, I'll stick to jelly babies!

G2ADY

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can't use Jelly Babies, I'd not stop, I'd end up Hyper :) They were my fave sweets before being diagnosed :)

Reactions: 2 people

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
I use the kiddie's small pack of jelly babies OR the blackcurrant flavoured
glucose tablets . [ I only like the blackcurrant flavour ones ]
Know some diabetics chew fruit pastilles for a hypo .
Alternative to the jelly babies? perhaps for you G2ADY?

G2ADY

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use the kiddie's small pack of jelly babies OR the blackcurrant flavoured
glucose tablets . [ I only like the blackcurrant flavour ones ]
Know some diabetics chew fruit pastilles for a hypo .
Alternative to the jelly babies? perhaps for you G2ADY?

Hmm, Fruit Pastilles, i hadn't thought of that, handy to carry when cycling too :) Thanks Anna

abs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Both are still available I've had both on a script in past few weeks.

kerrygrant26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Brown rice, all the negative attention diabetics get from the media
Both Ketostix and Glucogel are still available, I just filed a prescription a couple of days ago for these and got them no problem although I do have problems getting small needles so I changed to longer ones perhaps ask your pharmacy to order some in for you (most chemists will do this so that they have them ready for when you need them)

Type1Jim

Currently I have no problem getting a regular supply of glucomen glucose strips or ketone strips (very occasionally as I don't often need them and they have a long life) for me on prescription. I always use lucozade or glucose tablets to stop a hypo and these I buy in a regular shop.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Currently I have no problem getting a regular supply of glucomen glucose strips or ketone strips (very occasionally as I don't often need them and they have a long life) for me on prescription. I always use lucozade or glucose tablets to stop a hypo and these I buy in a regular shop.

Can us T1s get glucogel on prescription, then?

Type1Lad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
as a type one you are entitled to the ketone machine, and other things that will be benefit to you, get your nurse to ring them up.
I also need to get myself some glucogel :p