Sweet potatoes?

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
The only real way is to test and find out. I can eat them but only a small amount roasted in fat. If I have too much then I spike, probably not as bad as regular potato.

JustDomUK

Sweet potatoes contain more carbs than standard potatoes. On the other hand a sweet potato has a lower GI than the others. That said, it depends on how low carb you are going and what you want to achieve

Dom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2 people

snowballnc700

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can,t say I have tried these, but new potatoes work well for me and so do Hash Browns, just have a look at the carb content and eat to your meter, post how it goes .

Madbazoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat them about once a week, roasted in the oven sprinkled with paprika, and they don't seem to have an adverse effect on my BG levels

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We are all different. Try them and test. I prefer winter squash to sweet potato though. Or celeriac.

Sweetstuff

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Like others, I have them once a week - they are lovely roasted with a Sunday lunch and don't throw me out of ketosis.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
They are delicious roasted and baked, they can go a bit mushy when boiled. Carb wise they are the same as pots but slightly lower on the gi table.

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
I use celeriac root as a potato substitute. Much in lower carbs than sweet potatoes and quite tasty roasted.

A

AnnieC

I eat sweet potatoes and also grated mashed cauliflower and celeriac instead of ordinary potatoes

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah celeriac is fantastic. It can be used as a substitute for pretty much anything you would use a potato in. If you have not tried one, give it a go! It looks fairly terrifying, but can be really tasty. Celeriac oven chips are great and easy to do. I can cook them, and this time last month I did not know how to make an omelette! Get your celeriac, an oven tray, some grease proof paper, some curry powder, vegetable oil and a sharp knife. Preheat your oven to about 200 degrees celcius. If you are eating alone, half of a celeriac should be plenty. 'Peel' it (a potato peeler is probably too much effort, use your sharp knife watch where your fingers are), and cut it into fairly large chunks. Think potato wedges. Some recipes suggest you blanch the wedges (boil in water for a couple of minutes) but I have found mine work just as well missing this step out. Whack the wedges in a bowl or saucepan, and add two or three tablespoons of vegetable or olive oil. Add a bit of curry powder, a teaspoon may be enough but this is up to you really. Stir around for a minute to get the wedges nice and covered in oil and powder (not completely caked in it, that would take way too much curry powder). Spread the wedges evenly on your baking tray and put in your preheated oven for around 40 minutes. When they are starting to brown a little bit they should be ready. Add a bit of salt if you like, and eat! Super low carb, and very tasty.