two injection regieme to mulitple is this good?

My 7 yr old son has been diagnosed for two months, he is presently on humalog m3 twice daily. His levels are all over the show and he can drop from a reasonable level to 2's in minutes. (today 7.6 30mins later 3.2 after having something to eat). he then rises rapidly throughout the day, went to bed tonight at 21.4. Was wondering if changing his regieme to multiple injections would help. He is a very very active boy also which doesnt help his hypos. Any suggestions would be great :)

tizzy

Bless him I am not an expert but I thought all type 1 had multiple maybe they are going slowly as he is young keep going to drs or nurses until you are happy with his treatment hopefully other parents will soon help you more than I can

Shell1

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Hi my little girl is 8 and was diagnosed with type 1 two weeks ago.we went on multiple injections from the first day of being diagnosed .her bloods have been excellent ,she is very active has gymnastic lessons always on her trampoline and has had only 2hypos both of which were my fault.first I let her have a nutrigrain bar and 2 yoghurts for her breakfast giving her insulin to match the carbs not realising the yoghurts were 12g of carbs and 12 g of sugar !!so she had a fast sugar which kept her high for a bit then sent her under.her hypo was caught at 3 so luckily she was just a bit shaky,2nd hypo too much exercise not enough sugar so always give her a little orange juice now before in between and after a lesson of swimming .its a challenge but there will be trial and errors to see how things help our kids but 4 injections a day seem to help the control of her bloods immensely she does them herself at school under supervision,they have also been great ,hope this helps

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

PAMMYBROGIE

My daughter is 3 and was diagnosed 6 weeks ago, and she is on multiple injections. Novorapid and levimir. Most of the time its ok but every now and then i get a bizare reading for no apparant reason!

sab

my son has been on two injections for the last 6 years. only recently his 3 month overall average has started creeping ip to 7.8.
nurses have said if thing don't improve we will want him to move to 4 injections a day.
i would like to know if being on 4 injections will guarantee a lower 3 month average.
please can anyone share their kids 3 month average level who is on 4 injections.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
my son has been on two injections for the last 6 years. only recently his 3 month overall average has started creeping ip to 7.8.
nurses have said if thing don't improve we will want him to move to 4 injections a day.
i would like to know if being on 4 injections will guarantee a lower 3 month average.
please can anyone share their kids 3 month average level who is on 4 injections.

You don't say how old your son is.

Certainly basal/bolus (4 injections a day) gives you a greater flexibility as to when and what you eat and you have the added bonus of doing corrections doses to bring high bg down during the day, so say if your lad was high around lunch he could give then himself a correction dose of insulin together with his normal dose so that his postprandial bg would be in range, on twice daily doses you can't do that so the likelihood is he should see an improvement in his Hba1c, can't say for sure but speaking as an adult I seen a big improvement from switching to twice daily injections to basal/bolus.

sab

sorry i forgot to mention my sons age, he will be turning 10 next month. he was diagnosed at 4.
he is currently on humalog 25 twice a day. In the morning he has 18 units and at tea time 14. i am currently increasing his insulin to try and bring his levels down. hoping that things will improve before next visit to hosital

Last edited by a moderator:

michaeldavid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not thinking
Sab,

My normal HbA1C readings tend to be better than some who do not have diabetes.

The number of injections, small or large, doesn't guarantee anything.

But if you take a look at my profile page, you can see some detail about the way in which I manage, safely, to keep my readings so very near to a healthy normal.

I eat very well. And I certainly don't have to 'count carbs'.

But I do have to test my blood sugar quite a lot: 15-odd times per day.

For this I mostly use the cheap, visually read strips - Betachek Visual or Glucoflex-R.

sab

Sab,

My normal HbA1C readings tend to be better than some who do not have diabetes.

The number of injections, small or large, doesn't guarantee anything.

But if you take a look at my profile page, you can see some detail about the way in which I manage, safely, to keep my readings so very near to a healthy normal.

I eat very well. And I certainly don't have to 'count carbs'.

But I do have to test my blood sugar quite a lot: 15-odd times per day.

For this I mostly use the cheap, visually read strips - Betachek Visual or Glucoflex-R.

wow 15 times a day,that sounds like a lot. my son checks 4 times on regular day and about 6/8 times on days which he has unsettled levels.
I will defiantly look into your profile page.
thanks

michaeldavid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not thinking
Well, it's no big deal.

I never use those spring-loaded gadgets: they're too fierce, and they're also completely unnecessary.

I simply jab myself gently with a bare lancet. (They're very sharp!)

Then I replace the little plastic plug on the end, and I put it back into the tube of strips - where it's kept for the next use.

gemma.88

Myson was diagnosed just over 2 weeks ago not carb counting yet as apparently caught early but his bg starts normal level maybe abit high in morn (between 6 n 8) to megally high at bedtime lowest 19 highest 25 bit he's on multiple injections x.
Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e

sab

Myson was diagnosed just over 2 weeks ago not carb counting yet as apparently caught early but his bg starts normal level maybe abit high in morn (between 6 n 8) to megally high at bedtime lowest 19 highest 25 bit he's on multiple injections x.
Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e

Am sorry to hear about your son, i know it can be difficult at first but things do get easier.
if your son is on multiple injections i dont understand why he would be that high at bed time. this is exactly what am afraid about for my son, that even multiple injections may give a higher HbA1c.
I would recommend you check your son 2 hours after his last injection and then again in a hour or two,this will give you a idea to how his level increases and when. I have had to check my son at 12am and again at 2am and maybe again in another two hours when his levels where not predictable to see how and when BG rises.
there have been times when i have checked my sons BG a few times in an hour and i was amazed how exercise plays a lot in reducing BG. look into what activities your son does before bedtime maybe a little jog round the living room might help.

jojojojo2012

I'm new too son is 6.5 dx just over week ago. He has 4x a day and we have other prob that most times we do bg before meals he's low in low 4s. 2 hours after food approx 13. Only on a very low dose so far and not had a hypo yet... But can't get why he's so low on wake up, at lunch, tea, even tho he's high in between?

sab

I'm new too son is 6.5 dx just over week ago. He has 4x a day and we have other prob that most times we do bg before meals he's low in low 4s. 2 hours after food approx 13. Only on a very low dose so far and not had a hypo yet... But can't get why he's so low on wake up, at lunch, tea, even tho he's high in between?

sorry for late reply. Am no expert but i think that high's 2 hours after meal means to much consumed for amount of insulin given, try reducing carb at meal time and give a small snack after 2 hours to stop bg from dropping low.

michaeldavid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not thinking
jojojojo2012,

I'm sure your son's sometimes low-ish blood sugar readings - "on wake up, at lunch, tea, even though he's high in between" - will be due to the long-acting insulin.

I only take a very small amount of long-acting insulin, last thing at night, to stop my blood sugar rising overnight.

Moreover, when I go to bed, even the fast-acting insulin I take during the day has run its course. (I take Actrapid first thing, more Actrapid at 11.00am, Novorapid at 4.00pm.)

This means I always go to bed safely, not having to worry if I have eaten enough.

Last edited by a moderator: