Croakey voice & cough

Yvette18

Type of diabetes
LADA
Hi, I have had a croakey voice for years. I constantly have to clear my throat to speak. Very often after eating this gets much worse and I have to cough to clear my chest of phleghm. It was with this symptom that I went to the doctor's and that's when they found out I had diabetes. He hasn't said that this is caused by the diabetes, does anyone else have similar symptoms to these?
Yvette

Yvette18

Type of diabetes
LADA
Hi Sue, No I've never smoked. I've had the problem of having to clear my throat for at least 20 years. My daughters tell me that they always knew I was there at school plays because they heard my throat clearing! I feel that it has got much worse in the last 2-3 years though.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
In that case you may have trouble with sinuses,have you ever had them checked out.Could be you have an allergy to something that causes this.

suzi

Dislikes
people who are rude and ignorant, and people who have no patience in queues.
Hi Yvette,
If i were you i'd get an ENT appointment arranged through your Dr. My Aunt has always had a croaky voice,nasal voice/ nose ect and finally found after investigation that she had poylps near her vocal cords (hence the need to continually clear her throat)and also needed her sinus' flushed out, both easily remedied and fairly painless. This may not be your case as everyone is different, but can give you an idea to the cause.
Hope your sorted soon, take care,
Suzi x

CalicoBec

I was just moaning about this to my bf earlier, but i do suffer with sinus problems, so i think i'll ask the dr about it next time i'm there to get them flushed out (never had that but sounds interesting!)

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
ive had my sinuses drilled and drained a few times urgh lol :D

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
I bought a neti-pot for washing out sinuses.....I have not had courage to use it yet!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

lilibet

Hi
Gastric reflux is also a cause of ongoing problems with voice/catching in back of the throat
Do you have probs with heartburn, or indigestion?

L

Trinkwasser

There's a two way relationship between high BG and chronic infections, the BG feeds the bugs and the inflammation keeps the BG up.

This is commonly known for gum disease and it's very likely the same would apply to sinus infections too.

Most of my chronic minor skin infections cleared up with BG control. The sinuses also cleared for a while but this has since come back, which may be why my BG went up a bit again.

Defnitely worth further investigation.