Canadian Diabetes Association

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I like dis and dat and a little more a dis
First time poster...have been lurking since December. My annual physical in November last year revealed a 9.8 reading so the Doctor said that's too high and said reduce carbs, starches, and sugars...lose weight...and get more excercise. Or take pills. So I did the former. He didn't suggest it but I also got a glucose meter and began punching holes in my fingers and checking. My first reading (a few hours after a sensible meal) after the physical yielded a 5.2. I also came upon this site which has been most instructive.
So to expand my horizons I signed up for a diabetes group at a local health clinic. A couple of hours one night a week for the month of February. The person running the group appeared all bubbly and had us introduce ourselves and tell a bit about ourselves. I said about what I wrote in the last paragraph but mentioned I lost 30 pounds in short order watching the carbs and sugar. Her eyes widened and she said we dont recommend losing any more than 5% of yourself and cutting carbs too much could be bad for the brain. I assured her there were enough carbs in just about everything I had been eating and my brain seemed fine. At 242 pounds, 5% would have been a bit over 12 pounds which would have amounted to next to nothing I suspect. Anyway, she assured us we would all be on pills or insulin eventually. Well, my month got very busy and I only made it to that first outing. One of the handouts (from Canadian Diabetes Association) has this puzzling sample meal plan menu. Just wondering what ya'lls thoughts would be on this:
For bigger appetites
Breakfast
Cold cereal (1/2 cup)
Whole grain toast (2 slices)
1 orange
low fat milk (1 cup)
low fat cheese (2 oz)
Tea or coffee
Lunch
Soup (1 cup)
Sandwich
2 slices whole grain bread or 6" pita
lean meat chicken or fish (3 oz)
Carrot sticks
Grapes
low fat plain yogurt
Tea or coffee
Afternoon Snack
1 medium apple or small banana
Dinner
1 large potato or cooked noodles (1 1/2 cup
Vegetables
Green salad with lo fat dressing
lean meat chicken or fish (4 oz)
1 medium pear
low fat milk (1 cup)
Tea or coffee
Evening Snack
Peanut butter (4 tbspns)
whole grain crackers (4)
low fat milk (1 cup)
That cold cereal seems daft. Mostly sugar there. And a large potato or noodles? Anyway...that's my story. I'm havin' a ball.

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your diet sheet seems more concerned with low fat than anything else. It's like a blast from the past.

I suppose a reasonable amount of cold cereal is ok if accompanied by exercise but I cannot help noticing the toast, sandwich, whole grain bread, noodles, crackers etc. My blood sugars would be in the stratosphere.

Reactions: 3 people

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I would be more concerned about all the fruit, apples oranges grapes and bananas, oranges alone would send my blood sky high

Sent from my iPad

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
It seems uk isn't the only ones with dinosaurs and look what happened to the dinosaurs :happy:

Reactions: 2 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
How did this madness become global? I guess most of the food companies have international operations. Yes, that list of foods would also push my sugars way up.

Bob67

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sounds like a similar story to mine cause thats the song and dance they gave me too, "make sure you eat a between 240g-275g of carbs every day"

We agreed to disagree and I never went back.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
it depends what you BG is doing on the diet you have. If I could ask.
what is your average before breakfast reading (fasting)?
do you measure about 2 hrs after a meal?

you could put that food into http://www.myfitnesspal.com/ and it will tell you how much protein fat and carb you are eating