whats going on

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Hi all. So far I am non diabetic. Recently a standard urine test revealed glucose and yesterday at a&e because of vomiting and dehydration I had a finger prick test which read 8.9 the doc said this was fine as it is under 11?? But seemed worried when I told him I hadnt eaten in 24hrs?? For the last Month my blood pressure has become high & I constantly have high racing pulse. Any info or advice Would be greatly appreciated. Thankyou

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
hello, welcome, im not medical and know nothing about anything other than db, i do know however that when we starve ourselves our livers can dump glucose into our blood to keep us going, maybe that may explain it, best of luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

abs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
8 is still fine even if you had not eaten any infection or sickness will cause slightly higher levels and also liver dump.

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
hello, welcome, im not medical and no nothing about anything other than db, i do know however that when we starve ourselves our livers can dump glucose into our blood to keep us going, maybe that may explain it, best of luck!
Thanks andy. I couldnt eat as I was vomiting so I dont make a habit of it. Also the the glucose in my urine was last week.

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
8 is still fine even if you had not eaten any infection or sickness will cause slightly higher levels and also liver dump.
Thanks abs. I was definitely ill so thats fair enough altho I still dont know what the glucose in urine means. My dad has type 2 diabetes & I have severe asthma & been on high dose steroids on & off for 27 yrs.

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
What happened after glucose was found in your urine? Why were they looking?

Do you have any other symptoms? Tiredness? Thirst? Are you overweight?

I'm not medical but I think you need to follow this up with your GP

Cara

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
I would follow up with your local g.p

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
What happened after glucose was found in your urine? Why were they looking?

Do you have any other symptoms? Tiredness? Thirst? Are you overweight?

I'm not medical but I think you need to follow this up with your GP

Cara
Thanks carraway. Ive been having alot of health problems. My weight has nrly dbld in the last 2yrs from 7and a half stone to 13 which has never happened regardless of the steroids. I cannot walk anymore because of weakness, I must drink jugs & jugs of water a day I must have a water all day long yet my lips & skin in mouth still peel & I still feel completely dehydrated& obviously wee constantly. So far I have fatty liver, adrenal insuffiency, vit b12 &vit d deficiency & myopathy in my muscles, high bp & heart rate with stupid amounts of meds. Sorry but u did ask ;)

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
why havent they tested you for db?
I had a fasting blood done last year in hospital which they said was fine but they also did other tests that ended up incorrect & only when I saw a rheumy who changed my meds for two days to repeat some bloods did the correct result come bk, it was my steroids that altered things which should have been obvious. So Ive lost faith in most docs but why the glucose has shown up now I dont know. Thanks

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
i have no faith in doctors either :( id say its worth asking for a hba1c test, it may be due to other issues but you are exhibiting some symptons of db so worth getting checked out

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, a gap of 24 hrs after eating might cause the liver to dump glucose. What sort of diet are you on? It sounds like you may still be overweight and need to reduce your carb intake. Obviously you have some other medical conditions but bringing weight down to a more normal level can only help. Do see the GP for a diabetes check

mrs gimli

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Racists or hatred. Disrespect for people.
Go back to your gp x

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks carraway. Ive been having alot of health problems. My weight has nrly dbld in the last 2yrs from 7and a half stone to 13 which has never happened regardless of the steroids. I cannot walk anymore because of weakness, I must drink jugs & jugs of water a day I must have a water all day long yet my lips & skin in mouth still peel & I still feel completely dehydrated& obviously wee constantly. So far I have fatty liver, adrenal insuffiency, vit b12 &vit d deficiency & myopathy in my muscles, high bp & heart rate with stupid amounts of meds. Sorry but u did ask ;)
You seem to have assorted autoimmune conditions. The weight gain can be due to thyroid problems. Get prints of tests done. If you find your TSH has risen over the years I say it is your thyroid, Few people feel fine with a TSH above 2.

And you should suggest to have an OGTT test, that is a test when you drink a very sweet drink and test before and the after two hours again to see if your body can handle sugar. If the pre test bg is 7 or above you shouldn't go through it. but have another fasting bg test soon.