Headache clinic?

• Thread starter Deleted member 83869
  • Start Date
D

Deleted member 83869

Hello

Has anyone been to a headache clinic before? I am going to be referred soon for my migraines and was wondering what to expect!!

Thank you :)

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Never been to a clinic before, has your doctor tried any medication?

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I get cluster headaches that last for days my doctor prescribed me pitzotifen (think that's how you spell it!) its taken at bedtime to prevent headaches and thankfully they work for me. I've had headaches for years before I ever saw a doctor about it, wish I'd gone sooner!!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
No experience Nicola but just posting to say good luck, I know these migraines have been a cause of concern for you lately.

Reactions: 2 people

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Never been to one Nicola, but I wish you all the best with it and I truly hope they can help you manage your migraines and put your mind at rest. As i've sasid before, migraines are a really horrible condition to suffer from, but usually harmless. It must be terrible for you with the constant worry of what happened to your mother. Let us know how you get on. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it brings you peace of mind.

Smidge

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good luck and I hope you get sorted out!

I'm a long term chronic migraine sufferer (it also runs in our family) and was prescribed a daily dose of propranolol as a preventative and sumatriptan for stopping any actual migraines. However not all medications work for everyone - I was originally prescribed a different drug (so long ago I can't remember what it was called) which had been a miracle cure for someone else with the same doctor, but it didn't work at all for me!

I'm also aware of (most) tthings that act as triggers for my migraines, and it's well worth trying to discover what these are for you so that - if possible - you can can take avoiding action!

Robbity

PS One of the benefits I've found from being diagnosed as diabetic is that since changing my diet to a low carb one I've only had three migraines since December and I had been getting at least that many a week for the last couple of years...

D

Deleted member 83869

Thanks everyone x I haven't had a migraine in a few days or so! So i will see how I go but thanks everyone! :) Xx

bernie.freeman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
selfish people
I started with migraines about 18 years ago, the first was quite disturbing. I started getting visual disturbances then started to talk gobble di gook. I was taken to hospital as my colleagues thought I had had a stroke. Needless to say I hadn't but was referred to a migraine clinic, I was prescribed low dose propranolol for about 6 months. Since then I haven't had a migraine, hope they sort you out as quickly.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
Never been to a headache clinic i just used to take prescription meds for migraines,
hope it helps

FurryCub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Football
I've always had migraines, even as a baby I had migraine stomach. Anyway I've tried loads of different prophylactic pills. Atenolol seems to work best for me, but I only take it when I know a bout is coming on.
I do get migraine and cluster headaches, clusters are so much worse and half your face gets affected, I remember screaming in a hotel room with one.
Anyway my preferred abortive is sumatriptan injections, they are great and the only thing for clusters as tablets don't work with them.
If you search on you tube for 'Cluster my first injection' you'll see how effective they are and me showing off my legs.
I've never been to a headache clinic just GP and a consultant neurologist, I'm not sure they have a headache clinic round here, be interesting to know what it's like.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've never been given injections, but once when I had one of my worst migraines ever I was given suppositories....eek!

I remember being sent by a previous doctor to a migraine consultant at our local hospital; we both knew I suffered from migraines but doc thought we might get some useful advice. Said consultant was a pompous ignorant ass: I was told I could only answer yes or no to the questions he asked and he shut me up when I tried to clarify any of my answers. At the end of the session he told me that I suffered from migraines, and had nothing to add either to myself or in his report back to the doctor. We both agreed that he was worse than useless and a real waste of NHS money!!!

Robbity

D

Deleted member 83869

Oh dear doesn't sounf good hopefully mine is a lot more useful than that!

FurryCub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Football
I know you can get nasal sprays as well as the mentioned suppositories and injections. They're all given if you get nausea so tablets may not stay down. You can also get melts, usually rizatriptan, which you just place on your tongue.
Make sure, if they diagnose migraine, that you get a prescription for a triptan as abortive medication as well as a prophylactic.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh dear doesn't sounf good hopefully mine is a lot more useful than that!
Don't worry - if you are going to a "proper" migraine clinic they'll be a lot more clued up and are there to help you, not to show off their ignorance...! And it happened a very long time ago (like 35+ years) and things have advanced since then.

I did actually debate about posting about him in case I put you off, but in retrospect I find it so funny that I couldn't resist.

Robbity