Dad's 75th need some advice on celebration Desserts

Amalthya

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, My dad was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes last year, and he has really been struggling with his diet and so on, so much so that the doctor has put him on what I can only describe as a probation period before they intervene.

That being said its his 75th birthday this weekend, and my family and friends want to have a little celebration party and maybe cook a nice meal. What Im struggling with though is ideas for dessert recipes that are diabetes friendly, as he has been told absolutely no sugar, no fat no alcohol whatsoever for at least 1 month.

I have to admit I don't really understand what exactly is permissible when it comes to diabetes and dessert, and was wondering if anyone can give me some recipes or ideas for him.

I've had a look at some recipes that seemed ok, but a lot of them require sugar free baking mixes, buttermilk or sugar / fat free whipping dessert, none of which I can get in my supermarket.

I really hope someone can give me some advice, and thank you in advance.

Truffle

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Someone who knows it all.
If your Dad has been restricted to no sugar and therefore probably no carbs (or limited carbs) perhaps you might consider doing him a cheese board with a variety of cheeses and some home made almond biscuits or parmesan crisps instead.
There are a number of recipes on the forum for cakes using artificial sugar but I personallydon't like the artificial taste.

I hope he has a great birthday anyway!

A

AnnieC

I think it would be a bit difficult to find sugar free baking mixes so most on here make their own for cakes etc. Almond flour [ ground almonds] is used a lot as it is low carb along with some artificial sweetner of some kind.. some use Splenda for baking...Sugar free jelly is a great one for those with a sweet tooth and can have frozen or fresh berries added to it and served with greek yogurt it makes a nice dessert.
Try here for some yummy diabetic friendly cake recipes. Hope he has a lovely birthday
.http://www.diabeticgoodbaking.com/

annelise

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unfriendly and bigotted persons; i.e. persons who do not have an open or enquiring mind - but all within reason - persons may have a reason to appear as such - we will never know their backgrounds or where they come from ...
Have you considered berries (preferably fresh) - strawberries or raspberries? Served with whipped cream this could be a nice dessert. And you might even add some grated 95% chocolate to this.

Personally, I have no problems with berries in a small amount - nor will a high-percentage chocolate raise my blood sugar - and whipped cream is definitely good for the bg.

Hope your Dad will have an enjoyable day!

Best, annelise (Denmark)

Reactions: 2 people

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
Hi, My dad was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes last year, and he has really been struggling with his diet and so on, so much so that the doctor has put him on what I can only describe as a probation period before they intervene.

That being said its his 75th birthday this weekend, and my family and friends want to have a little celebration party and maybe cook a nice meal. What Im struggling with though is ideas for dessert recipes that are diabetes friendly, as he has been told absolutely no sugar, no fat no alcohol whatsoever for at least 1 month.

I have to admit I don't really understand what exactly is permissible when it comes to diabetes and dessert, and was wondering if anyone can give me some recipes or ideas for him.

I've had a look at some recipes that seemed ok, but a lot of them require sugar free baking mixes, buttermilk or sugar / fat free whipping dessert, none of which I can get in my supermarket.

I really hope someone can give me some advice, and thank you in advance.

One of my favourites is a sort of fruit terrine made with sugar free raspberry jelly and a mixture of lots of berries. As it's a special occasion you could substitute some of the water used in the jelly with red wine..about 100ml is plenty to give a festive flavour. Serve it with cream, double or extra thick.
Have a look at this link for some great ideas:
http://www.diabeticgoodbaking.com/?m=1
I hope your Dad has a wonderful birthday :)

Geri x

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have you considered berries (preferably fresh) - strawberries or raspberries? Served with whipped cream this could be a nice dessert. And you might even add some grated 95% chocolate to this.

Personally, I have no problems with berries in a small amount - nor will a high-percentage chocolate raise my blood sugar - and whipped cream is definitely good for the bg.

Hope your Dad will have an enjoyable day!

Best, annelise (Denmark)
Wonder whether a pavlova can be made using sweetener rather than sugar in the meringue, fresh berries and nuts whipped cream and some flakes of high percentage cocoa dark chocolate?

Pavlos
Type 2 - Diagnosed 2009; Latest HbA1c 5,8%; Diabetes Medication: metformin 2x850mg; Other medication: Aspirin 75mg, Valsartan 80mg, Rosuvostatin 20mg, Ezetimibe 10mg; Exercise: One hour walk daily, tennis weekly, swimming when warm enough

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Loads of good recipes here:

http://diabeticgourmet.com/

It's made me hungry just looking at it.

A nice treat though would be an expensive cut of meat, such as highland beef fillet steak. With mushrooms and/or some green pepper sauce and a really crisp green salad with a quality dressing, it's a pretty good treat, well, it is in my house anyway. As he is on a 'trial period', he'll be ok with a couple of small new boiled potatoes too. Just avoid older fluffier potatoes and mashed potatoes, two or three baby new potatoes will be fine.

By the way, I met a bloke in his 70s on the Desmond course last year who developed diabetes. He wasn't particularly overweight and was fairly active for his age. His GP told him it can happen as one gets older. I met him a couple of weeks ago and he has perfectly normal blood sugar levels and keeps them that way by just avoiding sugary foods and going easy on things like flour. He doesn't use medication.

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
@Yorksman
A nice treat though would be an expensive cut of meat, such as highland beef fillet steak. With mushrooms and/or some green pepper sauce and a really crisp green salad with a quality dressing,
Yum! My mouth is watering! :p

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yum! My mouth is watering! :p

Often simple dishes but made from top quality ingredients taste best. The trouble is locating the quality ingredients. Supermarket stuff always looks very nice but is invariably disappointing in that respect.

You're lucky though. If I have remembered correctly, you're in that part of Wales where they graze sheep on the salt marshes, the Gower Salt Marshes?

Another type of lamb/hoggart/mutton which has a distinctive taste is the Heidschnucke, because it is grazed on heather:

lueneburger-heide-heidschnucken.jpg

Have you come to feed me or to eat me?

HS3.jpg

Reactions: 4 people

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
"You're lucky though. If I have remembered correctly, you're in that part of Wales where they graze sheep on the salt marshes, theGower Salt Marshes?"

:) :) Yes, indeed I am and in my previous house it was common be woken in the night by the sound of munching as the little darlings grazed the front lawn! :oops:

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
"You're lucky though. If I have remembered correctly, you're in that part of Wales where they graze sheep on the salt marshes, theGower Salt Marshes?"

:) :) Yes, indeed I am and in my previous house it was common be woken in the night by the sound of munching as the little darlings grazed the front lawn! :oops:
That happens in my neighbourhood too - only it's kangaroos, not sheep :D

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Often simple dishes but made from top quality ingredients taste best. The trouble is locating the quality ingredients. Supermarket stuff always looks very nice but is invariably disappointing in that respect.

You're lucky though. If I have remembered correctly, you're in that part of Wales where they graze sheep on the salt marshes, the Gower Salt Marshes?

Another type of lamb/hoggart/mutton which has a distinctive taste is the Heidschnucke, because it is grazed on heather:

lueneburger-heide-heidschnucken.jpg
Used to love bringing back some sheep from the Western Isles that had been feeding on the machair, the herbs make all the difference!

Have you come to feed me or to eat me?

HS3.jpg
Bum wiper - check!
Match - check!
appetite - check!
butchery tools - check!

****! ain't got enough hanging time! Today, you live! Tomorrow ?

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
****! ain't got enough hanging time! Today, you live! Tomorrow ?

Just before Christmas I stopped off at the Hellifield Highland Beef farm near Settle and bought some meat from the farm shop. When I walked back to the car with some steaks, it's brothers were all looking at me over the wall. I never felt so guilty in all my life.