Diet only
Dislikes
Bad manners
Bad driving
Greed
Disrespecting others
Bullying
Hi.
Recently diagnosed type 2 habc1 was 103.
Fasting 22,6

Please when do I test for best times.

I found that after two hours after eating seems right but do I do another test prior to eating and how long before.

Just done a random test, playing and getting the hang of it. I ate at 10.30 porridge and blueberries.
Tested when machine arrived at 1pm. Got result of 19 mmol.

Trying to cut carbs down after reading on here. Keep feeling shakey and headaches is this normal.
Think I tried too low last week so upped it this week with a view to slowly dropping.
Aiming at 150 so 50 at each meal.
Will decrease slowly.

Thanks

Lin x

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hi lin,
i would test before and 2 hrs after food to see how certain foods affect you the result of 19 is very high and will make u feel unwell, i would suggest no porridge as that is high, another type 2 will be along soon to help:)

Reactions: 2 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Hi, well done for getting the meter, it will help to know whats going on

test at the start of your meal and 2 hours after, you are aiming for the smallest rise possible, if you get a big rise then change that meal and see what that does, you will figure out what food spikes you, therefore be able able to avoid them

best of luck

as you find the best things to eat your numbers will generally decrease, cutting out the carbs is awesome :)

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Porridge (with milk?) would sharply raise my bg too. Some people are ok with porridge, this is why it is important to test as we are all different. You might be lucky. Shakiness could be just your body adapting to your new regime.

I test before a new meal and 2 hours after. Plus first thing in the morning.

Top tip is to wash your hands before testing. I once got a 15.8 reading due to having blueberry juice on my thumb. The real reading was below 7 :oops:

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Disregard for authority. Noise.
rule of thumb is two hours after starting to eat ...

Reactions: 3 people

WWood56

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I had no idea you are supposed to test 2 hours after STARTING to eat. Is that right? Every single test I have done is 2 hours after I have finished eating.

Daft of me not to clarify this really. I am newly diagnosed (obviously).

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Yes, 2 hrs after starting to eat. 2 hrs after is too vague as some people can spend an age finish a meal.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 5 people

Lin 26

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bad manners
Bad driving
Greed
Disrespecting others
Bullying
Getting some weird readings. Started yesterday. Will do for a few days and then try to post in the hope someone will give me advise.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya lin,
pop them on and we will see if we can help

Lin 26

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bad manners
Bad driving
Greed
Disrespecting others
Bullying
Yesterday first day!
1pm b4 meal 19
3.30 after meal. 16.5

40mg gliclazide am and pm meal

6.15pm. 11.5
9.15. 19.0

10.40 b4 bed. 17.6

Today. B4 eating. 7.00am. 14.8
10.50am. After. 15.0

Lunch was out so didn't do

6.15. 14.5

Just about to have dinner which will be pork meatballs slimming world recipe
Wild brown basmati rice
Frozen sweet corn kernels
Homemade pasta sauce.

Is this normal looking. Seems no pattern I know it's early days.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I can see a pattern in that - the gliclazide looks like it is maintaining your levels when you eat or there about (I think you take it at breakfast and dinner). As you progress in your testing you may find the tablets starts to have a larger effect and your numbers reduce further.

Sometimes you just cannot understand why you levels are what they are. There are many reasons for unexplained rises so don't worry

Dee_226

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hiya Lin,
I am new here and still sorting myself out but from what I have read you should be taking readings 2 hrs after eating, your readings seem to be varying to nearly 4 hrs after. It may also be easier to get help if you could also include what you ate and drank during the day so that others can spot where you may be going wrong.
Hugs,

Lin 26

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bad manners
Bad driving
Greed
Disrespecting others
Bullying
Hiya Lin,
I am new here and still sorting myself out but from what I have read you should be taking readings 2 hrs after eating, your readings seem to be varying to nearly 4 hrs after. It may also be easier to get help if you could also include what you ate and drank during the day so that others can spot where you may be going wrong.
Hugs,
Hi ya. Thanks for reply. Yes I'm a bit out of sorts. Just feel so ill. I'll get there eventually. How are you doing?
Do you know how I put the info at the bottom like you have. I can't do it.
Lin x

Dee_226

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Lin,
go to the top of the page, click on your name (next to your pic) then click on signature. You can put some details into the box but remember to save the changes.
Hugs,

Lin 26

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bad manners
Bad driving
Greed
Disrespecting others
Bullying
Reading after dinner tonight was 15. So only went up .5

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Hi Lin, I had high bs. Am on metformin. Tried low carb high fat. Works like a charm . Lost loads of weight and halved bs. I would ditch pasta, rice, bread and potatoes. Pain in ass at start but really works. Good luck!

Reactions: 3 people

nigelho

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi.
Recently diagnosed type 2 habc1 was 103.
Fasting 22,6

Please when do I test for best times.

I found that after two hours after eating seems right but do I do another test prior to eating and how long before.

Just done a random test, playing and getting the hang of it. I ate at 10.30 porridge and blueberries.
Tested when machine arrived at 1pm. Got result of 19 mmol.

Trying to cut carbs down after reading on here. Keep feeling shakey and headaches is this normal.
Think I tried too low last week so upped it this week with a view to slowly dropping.
Aiming at 150 so 50 at each meal.
Will decrease slowly.

Thanks

Lin x
Hi, I'm a type 1 who carb count. As others have posted, you really need to 'limit' the carbs you eat for each meal. Make a note of what you eat and the meal carbs, do your normal test before the meal and check after 2 hours. If you have enough strips do another test 2 hours later as yoy need to know HOW LONG your tablets take to work on the meal you've eaten. Remember, if you're high BEFORE the meal then you'll be HIGH afterwards. It could mean that your team need to look at your tablets etc. Ask to go on DESMOND as you'll get a lot of info/understanding how to manage YOUR diabetes. Too much of the info given by teams are geared to the NORM BUT we all react differently. I've done DAFNE and I do things to suit ME and it's working.....so far after 6 months and 5 years of hell doing things as a NORM.