Unexplained Hypos!

blothom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rudeness, ignorance, racism, intolerance and butter beans
Help, knowledgeable people! I have recently started to experience unexplained hypos from late morning through to early evening. My insulin doses are the same, the type and amount of food I am eating is the same, and my work/lifestyle is the same, but I can drop from 6.8 to 3.2 in half an hour for no reason that I can find. It is only since last May that I became insulin dependent, and up to January of this year, I have brought my HbA1c down from 135 to 47, with average daily readings of 6.3. (Slightly higher in the morning, steadying up during the day) which is a level I feel comfortable with as I depend on my driving licence. However, over the last two months, I have had a second toe amputated, returned to work feeling a lot better, to now have this sudden drop in readings. I have had to reduce the amount of insulin I am taking, depending on my readings, and am wondering if I am now producing more natural insulin as a result of my lowered bgs, or am I less insulin resistant. Can't get hold of my Dsn, and local doc said to maybe eat more! (Helpful!) I don't want to raise my bgs too much, as I don't want to risk losing any more digits, but don't want to be too low either, cos thats plain scary. :( Suggestions please …..

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Difficult to say without more detail really. I would start keeping a detailed diary listing BG levels, insulin taken and food eaten. May be good to include exercise as well. It is not uncommon for insulin requirements to change and yours just may need adjusting. Do you carb count ? Or do you inject regular amounts ?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

blothom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rudeness, ignorance, racism, intolerance and butter beans
Difficult to say without more detail really. I would start keeping a detailed diary listing BG levels, insulin taken and food eaten. May be good to include exercise as well. It is not uncommon for insulin requirements to change and yours just may need adjusting. Do you carb count ? Or do you inject regular amounts ?

I have been having 10 units Novorapid with each meal, and am eating exactly the same things that I have eaten for months, with the same level of work /exercise, and have found my readings to always be consistent, with the odd lower reading if I have been extra busy, or had a less carby meal than usual. I was told by my dietician not to carb count because type 2 's still produce some insulin, and it can make it very unpredictable and hard to balance the insulin. It is only over the last few weeks that I have experienced these sudden drops in bf's, and cannot find a reason. Perplexed and a little worried it may happen when I am driving.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I have been having 10 units Novorapid with each meal, and am eating exactly the same things that I have eaten for months, with the same level of work /exercise, and have found my readings to always be consistent, with the odd lower reading if I have been extra busy, or had a less carby meal than usual. I was told by my dietician not to carb count because type 2 's still produce some insulin, and it can make it very unpredictable and hard to balance the insulin. It is only over the last few weeks that I have experienced these sudden drops in bf's, and cannot find a reason. Perplexed and a little worried it may happen when I am driving.
I would record all your readings then and get back in touch with your DSN. It may be that your insulin sensitivity has improved and you can discuss amending fixed insulin dose.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
As ridiculous as it sounds but type 1's can have changes in their insulin usage as the seasons change, I need a little more in the cold winter months than I do in the milder/warmer spring and summer months. The key to avoiding hypo's is to tweak your insulin, if your on a basal insulin then start with that first then adjust your meal-time insulin doses.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Agree with noblehead, I have had to lower all my basals today on my pump and its always 2-3 weeks after the clocks change. Again for the winter, althougb this is normally the week the clocks change.

I also know that my peak month for hypo's is July. If I'm going to have a bad hypo, it will be July.

If you need to change your insulin doses, don't worry. Thats pretty much typical of anybody using insulin, tablets etc....most important thing is to get into normal ranges...