Grr

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
BG stuck around 13 overnight and during the day and has now shot up to 29. Another bloody infusion set failure. :-(

Animas Vibe, Inset II, top of the thigh.

Oh well I will see it as an opportunity to try the Animas "Comfort" infusion set. But first... my trusty Novopen.

iHs

Pumps are a big learning curve esp within the first year - full of ups, downs and round and round while you find your way with them. Could say never a dull moment Always carry a back up like insulin pen or spare set wherever you go then you can sort yourself out

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yeah I'm carrying spare everything these days. I'd just rather not do a set change on a commuter train that looks like the last chopper out of Saigon. :)

Thanks for the encouragement. I tried the Animas Comfort. It's a manually inserted angled jobbie. Hopefully I will have more luck with that.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 4 people

iHs

Hope the new type set is ok and bg starts to go down. Im also in sympathy with you and am waiting for my bg to go a bit lower before I go to bed. I'll probably do a tbr for 2-3hrs and then set alarm on mobile to get up and test middle of the night.

What might be wrong for you is that yr basal needs changing as tbis tends to happen witb pumps even with basal testing but usually a pattern emerges showing the same rise or drops in bg

Reactions: 3 people

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
Oh god how I sympathise. My BG at bedtime last night 14.2 - where did that come from. As IHS said a correction dose and a TBR of 120% for 2 hours needed and alarms set at midnight and 3am. Down to 6.2 by 3am. I feel for you Spiker. When pumps and their accessories go bad they go really bad! At least you may have narrowed it down to the infusion set!

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
BG stuck around 13 overnight and during the day and has now shot up to 29. Another bloody infusion set failure. :-(

Animas Vibe, Inset II, top of the thigh.

Oh well I will see it as an opportunity to try the Animas "Comfort" infusion set. But first... my trusty Novopen.

There are about 10 users including in the states that are having problems with the insets.
Ring animas if you haven't done so and tell them you have a problem.

Reactions: 2 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hope the new type set is ok and bg starts to go down. Im also in sympathy with you and am waiting for my bg to go a bit lower before I go to bed. I'll probably do a tbr for 2-3hrs and then set alarm on mobile to get up and test middle of the night.

What might be wrong for you is that yr basal needs changing as tbis tends to happen witb pumps even with basal testing but usually a pattern emerges showing the same rise or drops in bg

Sorry to hear you are having trouble too.

I was on +60% temp basal rate most of the day, on the basis that the persistent and resistant BG might be due to infection. But once it started rising despite that, to 29, I knew I had a pump problem. To be honest on inspecting the old set after removing it, I couldn't see any problems with it. Insulin pumped out of the canula when I tested it, and it didn't seem bent or anything, the insertion site looked normal. But the numbers don't lie. This morning after the set change last night I was back to 6.7.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App[/I]

Last edited by a moderator:

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There are about 10 users including in the states that are having problems with the insets.
Ring animas if you haven't done so and tell them you have a problem.
Good advice. Will do. I have reported to Animas on two occasions, first time they sent the Inset 30, second time they sent the Comfort infusion set, which arrived yesterday.

jagger38

You cant trust the inset 11, I was let down badly by them. I phoned Animas, and they sent a replacement box, but still had the same problems. I had the day from hell yesterday, third set change failed, blood sugar on 28.6, and high ketones. I narrowly missed having to go to a @ e. I'm off the pump till they can come up with something that actually works for me. Blood sugar is now back to normal on injections, who needs all that stress?? Hope you get it sorted.....

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You cant trust the inset 11, I was let down badly by them. I phoned Animas, and they sent a replacement box, but still had the same problems. I had the day from hell yesterday, third set change failed, blood sugar on 28.6, and high ketones. I narrowly missed having to go to a @ e. I'm off the pump till they can come up with something that actually works for me. Blood sugar is now back to normal on injections, who needs all that stress?? Hope you get it sorted.....
Cheers Jagger, and sorry to hear you are also having trouble. To be honest the Inset IIs have so far been the most reliable, or rather I should say, the least unreliable. I will see how I get on with the Comfort set but my next move will be to get compatible sets from a different manufacturer.

iHs

Might be that you need to use a different area to yr leg Spike. Try tummy (shave it first lol) or backside. Even top back of arm might be good. Also, remember to adjust the basal first b4 you

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Might be that you need to use a different area to yr leg Spike. Try tummy (shave it first lol) or backside. Even top back of arm might be good. Also, remember to adjust the basal first b4 you

Thank you. I switched to the leg from the abdomen with the Inset IIs because they seemed to work better on a flat part and my abdomen ain't flat. :) However with the Inset 30s and Comfort I have switched back to my abdomen. I could try the arms I guess. I have trouble reaching my back so I would rather not go there unless I have to.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Legs for me bleed a lot and really spurt when sets are removed. This is why I rarely use legs. If I have spurted any blood, then to me it's my body that has blocked the set from working and just confirms I was right to move it.

I use bum and can now do it with my eyes closed, don't even need to turn round. Only prob is getting the set off afterwards, but with a good soak in the bath it takes me less than a second to locate it and rip off n out. I no longer turn round to look at where to put set in bum, it isn't all the way round to the middle part, just round the fat on hip bone...

Reactions: 2 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You certainly are a fan of bum, DD! ;-)

I will give that a try next time, thanks.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Only because I have used it for 30 years for the vast majority of all my jab and cannulas. I know that due to my muscly body I get occlusions anywhere in stomach or painful sets before hi levels. Legs spurt 90% of time. In my bum I can sit on them, lean on them, and literally do anything, and my bum is a jlo size 10 and not a mark or bump or lump or bruise on it.

If I could wear good elsewhere I would say so, but I genuinely think this is why I do love my pump so much. I hate to hear of others having problems when getting the right set and place it's the best treatment ever. I do believe your Company has a problem with its sets, there are a quite a lot of people on different forums and places mentioning probs. been there, moaned myself previously....it is worth logging sets as an MHRA record of not working equipment...

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Bah. So much for bum. My bum-mounted Comfort infusion set just failed. My first occlusion alarm - w00t! I switched to the emergency Inset II I was carrying with me.

Luckily a package arrived today from my secret benefactor (you know who you are, thankyou thankyou thankyou) contained an assortment of non Animas infusion sets. In for a penny, in for a pound, that's what I say.

There is also the possibility of trying the steel sets from Animas. DSN advised against them, I can't remember why, but at this point I will try anything to improve the chronic unreliability that has defined my pumping experience so far. I'm not giving up without a fight.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Animas are sending out some samples of their "Contact-Detach" steel infusion sets. These are 6mm steel canulas, and they don't do anything shorter than that - in steel or not. I'm slightly unhappy about inserting something that is 6mm and steel. I was expecting them to be 2mm.

Also this this time Animas promised to include the instructions. They forgot to do that with the Inset 30 and the Comfort sets. :)

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ah they also do an 8mm, I will ask for those as well. Plus trying some non-Animas infusion sets from my secret benefactor. ;-)