Hypo awareness

K8tie_x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My hypo awareness seems to have disappeared till I get to about 2.2 this past week, I've been on the pump about 13 weeks now. Is this normal? Being 8 months pregnant may be something to do with it but never experienced it with my first child so I'm just curious to see if this is common on the pump or others experiences?

K8tie_x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I aim for between 4 and 5.9 and 7.9 or below 1 hour post meals, still had hypo awareness though even at 4 I would start to feel it but its getting lower, I'm checking and feeling absolutely fine so can't believe that it's 3 or thereabouts :s

Reactions: 2 people

Lucie75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It is common for you to lose awareness while pregnant - test lots just to be on the safe side. I lost mine from about 2 months in each of my pregnancies but it came back afterwards.

jazglo

I'm not pregnant, but aiming for the same targets as you and I had a 2.9 this week that I was unaware of. I usually feel hypos at around 3.8-4.0. A bit worried but assume it is the tight control as my diabetes nurses warned me about it and were encouraging me to keep levels a bit higher.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well the pump should improve your control, and improving control should shift your hypo warning trigger point downwards. But 2.2 does sound quite low. I guess the bottom line is, do you get the warning symptoms (adrenalin symptoms) before you get an actual hypo (neurological symptoms). If yes, I suppose you are fine.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Lower levels on a constant with a pump will mean less awareness..... My consultant warns me of this constantly.

As I know now that my accuchek pump read 4.2 and my blood from my vein at same time read 2.1... I personally try to always stay above 5 and never worry if my bg shows 8.0. As I know my pump reads higher than my true blood levels.i did know I was low, but was determined to get blood tests done so when pump read 4.2 whilst they took blood I though just to eat afterwards... Never expected blood bg to be 2.1....

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The links that I think @phoenix put up recently about hypo awareness said that it is not constant low blood sugar that causes loss of hypo awareness, but frequent hypos. In theory it's possible to have constant low (good) blood sugars without having hypos and so without losing hypo awareness. Tricky, but possible. That's my understanding but I'm just going by the papers, I haven't experienced constant low blood sugars, ever, so I don't know from personal experience. But as the same papers say hypo unawareness is reversible, I'm willing to give it a try.

Reactions: 4 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I just would be VERY wary, especially as the lower you go with targets the less maneouversbility to do extra excercise etc without lowering basals or eating more to stave off hypoland.
I certainly could not do any spontaneous extra without wondering if my BG's would lower. (Yes they would). That would even mean not doing an extra 30 mins gardening at a customers as it would affect my levels too much....

Too me personally from my spontaneous activitys and enjoyment I would rather know that I had room to play (so to speak) than fretting over my levels varying... Balance is key here.. Becoming too tight and too regimented can destroy your enjoyment of life.... Only from my experience..