10 years of insulin and now none!

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Other
Husband diagnosed as type 1 diabetic over ten years ago. Regularly injecting insulin in this time.
He decided (in secret) to stop insulin a few weeks ago for a few days and was fine. When he told me I went mad and he went to GP. He since has had a trial of no insulin and all readings been fine and for the last three weeks he has had no insulin at all. His readings are normal between 3-7 every day.
GP have said they will do blood tests in July and may change his diagnosis to type 2!

Has anyone heard if this before????

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

furryboots

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people,cyber bullying,broccoli,cabbage,onion,garlic,avocado,any prepared food
wow,that is wierd but so fantastic if he can get graded as type two,i'm still a scared newbie with insulin so trust my team to know whats going on but our bodies are always changing and as long as he is seeing his doc i wouldnt worry but keep an eye on his fluids and frequency of going to toilet,good luck xx

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Hi, Welcome :)

Nope never heard of that, i assume they did the c-peptide tests? nothing would surprise me though, i guess as long as he is testing regular theres no down side huh :) best of luck, please let us know how it goes

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Other
It's all so worrying for me.

He's not been tested yet. He basically is just taking his sugar readings 4 times a day and using diet to control these which is fab I agree but so scary when for the last 10 years he has been injecting between 16-32 of insulin a day!

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
nothing scarey :) if hes testing hes bloods and they go up, he will notice and can restart the insulin (fingers crossed) if not, great! the only reason to take insulin is to lower blood glucose so..... if it aint broke..... dont fix it

there is a potential down side, type 2 has its own problems, he will no longer be able to compensate for high blood by injecting, he will have to control with diet, dont get me wrong i think its better to have type 2 but not without its problems

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
As Andy says, as long as he continues to test and levels remain normal, that's brilliant :)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Bliney, if he continues without insulin and normal bg's we'll all be wanting to do what he does!