High fibre breakfast cereals

Shazza41

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
My dietician said the best cereals for me to eat are weetabix and shredded wheat (I can't stand porridge). However I like cornflakes and Rice Krispies but I was told with regards to fibre, this would be like eating fresh air. I would like to include them in my breakfast choices, so does anyone see this being a problem having these, say twice a week? Alternatively if I do have them, how could I add extra fibre to my breakfast so it's healthier than just having the cereal?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
You don't say what type of diabetes you have. Why have you been told to eat more fibre?

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You need to test and see if you can tolerate the very large amount of carbs in breakfast cereal regardless of type and brand.

Did your dietician tell you the reason for high fibre breakfast? Personally, I find I get enough fibre from the vegetables I eat and have had no problem at all since going grain free.

Today I had full fat (10% fat) Turkish yoghurt with shredded coconut and cinnamon.

Shazza41

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Apologies, I'm type 2 on tablets, exenatide and insulin. I've always assumed to include high fibre in my diet to assist sugars. Although I have saw mention of low carb diets. It gets very confusing! X

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Some of us are told to eat high fibre cereal to slow the bg spike. I think its a lot wiser not to have the cereal in the first place if you want to avoid spikes.

Reactions: 2 people

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I'm assuming (forgive me) that you haven't had the best dietary advice? Slowly the NHS is coming round to our way of thinking. Low GI foods - the ones that release insulin more slowly are becoming more the norm. But if you read around the forum and the net a lot of us find that eating less carbs e.g. bread, pasta, white rice, flour products are more beneficial to our BS. To compensate eat fat for example olive oil, avocado etc, don't fear the fat. Eating fat can reduce cholesterol too and keep you full.
For breakfast I eat scrambled eggs with smoked salmon, or bacon and eggs or omelettes, breakfast seems to be the one meal we brits have a problem with.

Reactions: Trevandval

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
as soon as i read "my dietician said" i knew it wasnt going to go well :) best to avoid the spike in the first place than compensate for it i reckon, have a read of the forum and LCHF you may find it suits you, best of luck

Shazza41

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Cheers Dawn. That's great. It does get really confusing. I think ill trial the low carb thing and check sugars and see what happens

lunarlinda

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Injustice, discrimination, greed, selfishness, WAR
Well, I started low carbing a month ago, I won't lie, I don't find it easy, but that's down to me having no interest in food really. So, the other day, I was craving cereal for my breckies, 'cos that's the meal I struggle with the most, so got shreddies and shredded wheat and bran flakes. Good, I thought, now, at least I have got something in to eat when I get hungry, (isn't often). And as my family suffered with lack of fiber illnesses, I thought I'd done the right thing.

Had shreddies for brecki 2 hours ago. Just tested my BS and it's 8.2. that's higher than the spike I got from the chinese I had for my dinner last night!!

So, I'm diet only, buy my own strips to test, so I know 8.2 is high, but I don't have meds to counteract this. So, I have two choices. I accept that if I eat a bowl of cereal, even one purporting to do me good in other ways, my BS will rise to in the 8's, or I can stop being lazy and eat something recommended on the LCHF diet, even though I don't like or can't eat or haven't got in the stuff I'm allowed. It's my decision, and so will eating cereals or not be in your case. Think you need to test though to see the impact, we're all different. Good Luck xx

Radge21

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My dietician said the best cereals for me to eat are weetabix and shredded wheat (I can't stand porridge). However I like cornflakes and Rice Krispies but I was told with regards to fibre, this would be like eating fresh air. I would like to include them in my breakfast choices, so does anyone see this being a problem having these, say twice a week? Alternatively if I do have them, how could I add extra fibre to my breakfast so it's healthier than just having the cereal?

I take the shreaded wheat and wheetabix but add a "small" amout off rice crispies or cherios to it.
Just a small amount, but you are still getting the high fibre with a bit more taste and texture.
Works for me.