Attitudes.

• Thread starter catherinecherub
  • Start Date

Slinger

i have not got a problem with people being overweight (my wife is overweight) but what i do have a problem with is people being overweight and have medical problems but dont bother losing weight or trying to lose weight.

i watched a documentary one time about the fattest guy britain. he was type 2 coz of his weight and the doctor said that the problem wasn't what he eats but the ammount he eats. it showed his shopping for 1 week and it filled 2 shopping trolleys and there was only him and his girlfriend. there is 5 in my family and we just about fill 1 trolley a week. wouldnt mind if he worked but doesnt and his girlfriend doesn't either. he's claiming all the benefits he can get but doesnt stop him driving around in a merc.

thats the kind of people i think are draining the NHS but like i said if people are trying to sort themselves out due to there weight/size then they have my full support.

but please dont say your big boned, i have yet to see someone with a big **** bone or stomach bone.

it is not my intension to offend anyone but having lived somewhere that someone was claiming all the benefits due to her size and telling my father in law that she likes her sweets, shuffling around on her backside when anyone from social calls then see her walking down the street no problem, thats the kind of person i have problems with.

Ste

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Aadrgon said:
And there was I thinking you were such a nice person Sue :lol:

Of course I am,Aadrgon,just have an evil streak!! :twisted: :twisted:

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
How many of us,in all honesty,look at a fat person and immediately think ,fat,lazy,over eater etc.We don't automatically think,'Oh poor thing,must have something wrong', It's programmed into us by the media, think of programmes that you watch,the fat person is always the joke.
Until that perception is changed in the national psyche then we will never be free of it.
Think how often you coo over a chubby baby yet worry that a thinner baby is failing to thrive.It's imprinted in all of us,it's part of our culture.Until that changes we are stuck with the stereotype.

viv1969

Slinger

I am a Type 2 Diabetic. I am 40. I am female and I am obese.
I eat a low carb diet which is helping to control my BG levels.
I cycle 3+ miles a day and walk our large dog 2 x a day.
I don’t smoke.
I drink very little alcohol.
I work full time. (I don’t drive a Merc, but an Audi – sorry) I cannot walk to work as door to door is 29.1 miles each way

AndI have not lost a single pound since drastically adjusting my diet on diagnosis.

So in your expert opinion am I making enough effort to become less of a drain on society?

You may never have seen a big **** bone, but I sure recognize a big mouth bone when I see one.

viv1969

Thanks Aadrgon.

You just know that when someone starts a post with "I don't mind.....but..." there's usually a sweeping generalisation on the way.

Trinkwasser

I'm a skinny ******* and I'm a Type 2 so I'm actually non-existent in the eyes of the media and many Medical Professionals

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Thankfully you are not non existent ,Trink otherwise we would be the poorer on here.

Slinger

viv1969 said:
Slinger

I am a Type 2 Diabetic. I am 40. I am female and I am obese.
I eat a low carb diet which is helping to control my BG levels.
I cycle 3+ miles a day and walk our large dog 2 x a day.
I don’t smoke.
I drink very little alcohol.
I work full time. (I don’t drive a Merc, but an Audi – sorry) I cannot walk to work as door to door is 29.1 miles each way

AndI have not lost a single pound since drastically adjusting my diet on diagnosis.

So in your expert opinion am I making enough effort to become less of a drain on society?

You may never have seen a big **** bone, but I sure recognize a big mouth bone when I see one.

yes you are making an effort, like i said its people who dont bother trying to lose weight if they need to. its like someone being cure of lung cancer due to smoking but still smoke. you're not just making an effort, you're making a hugh effort.

sorry if you feel offended but was not my intension

Ste

sixfoot

Viv 1969 ............. interesting that you wrote you hadnt lost an ounce since lo Carb. Would you care to share your experience because it isnt what most find.

Dave P

viv1969

Apologies for yesterdays post.....don't you love bad days!

Dave, I've read tons of stuff about how a healthy diet (low carb or not, and let's not have that debate again here)would put me on the right track for weight loss, and no-one is more disappointed than me that this hasn't proved to be the case. Doc's not interested though and just assumes I'm non-compliant.

Aadrgon

viv1969 said:
Apologies for yesterdays post.....don't you love bad days!

no apologies necessary in here Viv - we've all got an "I'm having a bad day T shirt" easily to hand
I rarely take mine off :)

tyroneshoelaces

I've been diagnosed for less than two years, and I don't fit the stereotype either: I'm a vegetarian, I'm thin, I don't smoke, I get loads of exercise... And, yes, I've noticed the odd thing in the paper (usually the Daily Mail, but other papers that should know better get in on the act) that appears to suggest it's all somehow totally our fault. However, in my dealings with real people who aren't diabetic, I generally find that, though they don't know much about it, they are sympathetic - especially after you've explained what it's about, what the risks are and how you could even die in particular circumstances. I think all we can do as individuals is - well, not be irritatingly evangelical, but if someone wants to know, tell them. On a wider issue, if you have time and feel the diabetic 'community' has been slandered, write to newpapers or comment on their websites. It can counter prejudice.
And further to Viv - it sounds like you're making a fantastic effort. One thing I've found is this: I started off on diet and medication, but it didn't get it totally under control. Since I've gone onto what I know are pretty small doses of insulin, I've been slowly putting on weight, despite my best efforts (and I still run four or five times a week). Nothing drastic, but it's happening, so I think at some point i have to bite the bullet and really really rein in on that diet. The truth is that it's a hard thing to cope with, whatever one's starting point, and things can go awry however much we do what we're supposed to do.

sixfoot

Viv ......... not looking for arguement but did ask whether you would share your experience ie what you were eating, effect on BS etc

If you look on the Success thread under low carb you will see mine after my hols, I put on a few Lbs but am shifting them again by getting back to lo carb. It is reckoned to take about 3 weeks to get your body retuned.
Theres no shame in it, I simply have a will to survive longer than "they " say is likely.

Dave P

pedro606

I have found this interesting. I am 14st 13lb and 5' 6"-- obviously 'obese' in terms of this BM index.

I have managed to lose about 7lb since being on my version of low carb eating as I understand it to be. Every couple of weeks I give myself a treat and have fish and chips from the chippy and a 25ml bottle of red wine-- even had two one week!

I do go on a couple of walks for about an hour twice a week and attend a rehab programme of exercise at a local gym a couple of times a week. Week-ends are spent rather lazily and enjoyably watching all the sport on TV-- I am retired by the way!

I wonder if I gradually reverted to eating more carbs would I then put the weight on just as quick as I lost it.(about 6 weeks).

I was diagnosed about 2 months ago with T2. My Health centre, like all the others, recommended starchy carbs etc etc. If i did that I would not have lost some weight and my BS would have remained high. I take my reading after I have tried something to eat that I think has carbs. I tried a slice of some sort of brown bread my wife bought that had seeds and linseed etc in it. My reading after having just one slice with a small tin of sardines was 7.6 after two hours. Now I know not to eat that again.

So what is to be regarded as the best thing to tackle first when being diagnosed T2-- is it to try to lose weight and help the resistance to insulin or is it to lower the BS at all costs.

Pete

SilverAndEbony

To be honest, I was advised to reduce my BG levels when I was diagnosed. Insulin resistance was mentioned in passing, but at that point not a huge deal was made of it. Which I think is good.
I am not too sure what people mean when they say insulin resistance.
I WAS advised to loose weight as the extra fat itself causes problems with glucose control. And of course all the usual reasons for losing weight.

I wonder what some of you think of someone like me. I'm overweight. So am I bad and to be looked down on? Which is what I feel some of you are doing sometimes. Or am I good, because I have managed to lose over 6 stone in the past? Or really bad because I put a lot of it back on?
I think I'm just human, to be honest.
Maybe i just read into other peoples written words emotions and feelings that aren't there. That's one of big problems of forums. You can't easily work out whether someone is being amusing, or are really having a big go at you!

But I really don't need to feel judged by anyone when I'm looking for help and support.

Aadrgon

SilverAndEbony said:
But I really don't need to feel judged by anyone when I'm looking for help and support.

Hi Silver

I don't think anyone on this site is judgmental in any way. I and I think many others just think of you as SilverandEbony a fellow diabetic.

I weigh 20stone I've lost a little but nothing like as much as you have and there is no way I would look down on you as a bad character. It is difficult to offer any advice without knowing something about a person which is why someone might be asked about diet and exercise.

People do joke on the forum, I know I do but I would not and do not make fun of other people and I feel a lot of posters on here are the same.

We are all in the same boat one way or another doesn't matter whether you are type 1 or type 2, fat or thin - the majority of us are diabetic and as such want only to help out if we can.

I expect sugarless sue would have something to say if she thought someone was being insulting.

Hope this makes you feel better about the forum

Incidentally SilverandEbony is a very unusual name ( i think so anyway ) could you explain how you chose it ?