ketones

Ketchup

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
is there any food that i can eat to help get rid of ketones as mine are very high my sugar levels are always in the highs of 20 up wards

Emma_P23

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
No food will fix high ketones. Drink plenty of water and get it checked at a doctors or hospital. If ketones are high then you need to be getting it sorted quickly.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

gfmoore

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Your sugar levels seem pretty high. It is best for them to be kept below 10 at worse and below 7 at best. These sorts of levels will be causing damage if sustained.

What are you doing about this? Diet, medication?

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you have high ketones and high glucose levels it points to you not having enough insulin. As Emma says drink plain water and seek medical advice. Check out what Diabetes UK says about DKA .

D

Deleted member 83869

I have had DKA 3 times and basically the best thing for you to do is avoid food for now as that can bring your sugars up but increase your insulin slightly and definitely drink plenty of water as that should hopefully flush out your ketones!! As long as you aren't being sick then A&E isn't a worry as of yet! BUT as soon as you start being sick get straight to A&E and don't eat or drink as you will just continuously throw it back up! Good Luck and hopefully you dont have to go to hospital x

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have a read about them here!

Ketones can be good or very bad for you; if you are a type I diabetic you can get a dangerous condition known ketoacidosis, as discussed in the above posts.

But don't confuse this with ketosis which is quite safe and quite a different situation! If you are on a low carb diet and eating plenty of fat, your body can go into ketosis or fat burning mode instead of using carbohydrates for its energy supplies, and this involves a lower and safer level of ketones,

Robbity

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have had DKA 3 times and basically the best thing for you to do is avoid food for now as that can bring your sugars up but increase your insulin slightly and definitely drink plenty of water as that should hopefully flush out your ketones!! As long as you aren't being sick then A&E isn't a worry as of yet! BUT as soon as you start being sick get straight to A&E and don't eat or drink as you will just continuously throw it back up! Good Luck and hopefully you dont have to go to hospital x
hi Nicola, very good advice, when you say take more insulin, do you mean sick day rules with high BG and ketones, where the extra 20% of your total daily dose is taken and checked?
https://www.google.com.au/#q=insulin 20% TDD ketones

Reactions: 2 people

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Jack, the amount of extra insulin necessary is really dependent upon the level of ketones and the glucose level (and to a certain extent type of diabetes).
If levels are very high and/or the condition has gone on for a while then home treatment may not be enough and it's better to get medical treatment ASAP. (IV insulin, fluids and electrolyte replacement may be necessary.
If glucose levels aren't that high but ketones are present then some carbs (sugary drinks ) may be necessary alongside the insulin.

People really need to know their own personal sick day rules before they get into that situation
. If they don't then with high glucose and high ketones then it's really best to seek medical advice
You also have to remember that people who take insulin may not be using a basal/bolus regime so raising rapid insulin may not be an option.

D

Deleted member 83869

hi Nicola, very good advice, when you say take more insulin, do you mean sick day rules with high BG and ketones, where the extra 20% of your total daily dose is taken and checked?
https://www.google.com.au/#q=insulin 20% TDD ketones
Yes that is what I mean but like phoenix says everyone is different! That is just what my DSN told us all in Dafne but the main thing to do is go hospital especially if they are high!! And DO NOT SLEEP

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
ok thanks guys for that, so there isn't a standard response. that would make it harder to work out. let's hope I get my head around this before I'm on meds where I need to watch out.

D

Deleted member 83869

ok thanks guys for that, so there isn't a standard response. that would make it harder to work out. let's hope I get my head around this before I'm on meds where I need to watch out.
You don't have ketones do you???

iHs

no, I'm still T2 on metformin at this stage, but it is progressive so I'm trying to learn stuff.
http://www.australianprescriber.com/magazine/27/4/93/6/
Almost all patients with type 2 diabetes will eventually fail to respond adequately to oral hypoglycaemic drugs and will require insulin therapy.
Not always Jack... many use the newer meds..... but there are also pumps being developed that will just deliver a basal not bolus and be suitable for type 2s to use along with oral meds

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App