ORAL THRUSH - HELP PLEASE

Jude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone

In October last year I developed oral thrush following a very high dose of penicillin for a very bad throat infection. Eventually in December my GP did a throat swab which came back positive for thrush so was given flucloxacillin along with another week of oral nystatin. This appeared to clear up.
However I am now sure that I have it again - have started taking Acidophilus again but my mouth is so sore and uncomfortable. Does anyone know of any other treatments which will help me deal with this. Having checked on the internet I definitely have the symptoms - my tongue feels like it is burning most of the time.
I know you are all going to say that it will improve when my sugars are under better control but I always defy "normal"!! During the past 2/3 weeks my sugars have improved but I have been eating more fruit over that time also (I dont usually eat fruit because of my IBS). I know certain foods aggravate it so can someone tell me which foods please?
I only have thrust in my mouth - no problems at all anywhere else!

Thanking you all in advance.

Jude :)

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
If not the doctor, try the pharmacy. It's a common problem in babies and they will probably be able to help you

Trinkwasser

BG control will help but if it's already established it may need hitting with further treatments to eliminate it, as Hana suggests try your pharmacy first

TheScribbler

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
I sympathise with you. I had it a couple of years ago, before I had diabetes - or at least before I was diagnosed with it. I remember that it took quite a long time to clear up and it left me feeling really drained. It is certainly worth going back to your GP.

1066girl

Hi Jude. You could try tea tree essential oil with a glass of water and use it as a mouth wash 2 or 3 times a day. I use it regularly for all types of ailments, as it has anti fungal, anti viral and anti bacterial benefits. I put 2 drops in half a tumbler of water as a mouth wash and 'schloosh' for 30 seconds. Hope this helps. 1066girl :D

cjohnson

Dislikes
Spiders and other similar creepy crawlies
Hi

I have also suffered from oral thrush after antibiotics and nystatin was the only thing that cured it. One thing that also seems to cause thrush with me is strawberries so if you are eating a lot of them it is worth cutting them down.

CJ :D

Katharine

If the thrush is as persistent as this you may need to take oral fluconazole. This is a tablet you can get from the doctor. It is also purchased from pharmacies as Diflucan and marketed for vaginal thrush. Getting your blood sugars under control will also help. You have my sympathy. Every cup of hot liquid is a torture session.

Dislikes
estupid people
HELLO, HAD A BAD CASE OF ORAL THRUSH,,TOOK FLUCONAZOLE 100, CHEWED IT UP, TASTED KIND OF BAD, THEN 3 DAYS LATER ANOTHER FLUCONAZOLE 150 , CHEWED ALSO, IT WAS GONE A COUPLE OF DAYS LATER..KEEP YOUR SUGAR LEVEL LOW, AND YOGERT IS ALSO RECCOMENED..TONY

rogbert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
winter
I'm a man and I get thrush down below its quite embarrassing at times for a bloke i get it like a woman does with periods every month dosen't matter what I do it always comes back My gp is not very helpful either says it goes with my condition anyone got any suggetions ?
cheers
rog

Buachaille

Dislikes
Blondes with small...................................
Last Post.

Tea Tree oil, put on neat, or Tea Tree cream. Goes in a couple of days.

Trinkwasser

rogbert said:
I'm a man and I get thrush down below its quite embarrassing at times for a bloke i get it like a woman does with periods every month dosen't matter what I do it always comes back My gp is not very helpful either says it goes with my condition anyone got any suggetions ?
cheers
rog

Tight BG control is #1 plan, many little skin beasties feed on the excess glucose and only when you have that down will the treatments actually eliminate the infections rather than just knock them back. Sometimes (and toenail fungus is even worse) it may take several treatments when the bugs are well established.

Katharine

Steep your underwear in Milton. This kills of fungal / yeast spores. Then wash as usual. Dry on a line outside where the sun will also kill spores.

You may need to use canestan cream on your groin area every so often to prevent an outbreak rather than treat it. (Eg weekly when you don't have any symptoms).

If you take nystatin oral suspension it can help get rid of gut candida which may be keeping the infection going.

Getting your blood sugars under control will help.

goji

Does anyone know, if you're allergic to Fluconazole, can you take nyastin?

I get thrush with some frequency but the last couple of times I tried fluconazole my mouth swelled up and ulcerated, I got hives and terrible itching and general feeling of unwellness. The reaction seems to get worse each time I try fluconazole - I'm a bit worried to take it again.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Nystatin is not the same as Fluconazole but is for the same thing.I would discuss this with doctor in case there are similar effects .

pip

Natural yogurt will give some immediate relief - I developed oral thrush after surgery not so long ago as well as Tonsillitis. I sympathise, I can remember how bad I felt and also how hard it was to eat anything.
I hope you get it sorted soon, sorry I can't be of more help, the Fluconazole worked for me.

rogbert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
winter
thanks for your support i have been taking probiotics for a while and this has helped but i get through canastin quite a lot now.
cheers
rog

Piney

Hi,

Does anyone else have other advice for oral thrush treatment? Or basic details about oral thrush relief overall. Just anything that comes to mind.