Trying the Newcastle Diet and its working.

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello everyone.
I don't normall do forums but I have purposely joined today to tell you my results of trying the 800 calorie diet...

3 weeks ago I started the diet and my reading was 12. (Its normally 14)
The levels did start to drop and I have lost 9 lbs
When I checked it last Thursday it was 5.8..Friday 5.1....Saturday 4.5...Sunday was 7.1 and today was 6.2.

With another 5 weeks to go it looks good.

The diet is hard...First 3 days its banging headaches....Weekends are the worst.

I have the 3 meal replacements and then a soup....nothing else..

Soup....Chop 1 onion, half cup of Lentils, 1 stock cube, 1 spring onion, some cauliflower florets, 1 grated carrot add water...PING it for 12 mins. Leave it for 10 minutes for lentils to absorb water

I dont stay strictly to the 200 calories with the soup and I have failed on 2 occasions by scoffing a 350 g tub of peanut butter..

I have emailed everyone that I know to give this a try... I use the Slimfast from TESCO.

I will keep this up to date as the weeks go by...
Ta John

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Hi John and welcome to the forum :)

Can't say I have ever heard of the Durham diet. Do you mean Newcastle? A few people on here follow that.

sunspots

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Perhaps it is a posh version of the Newcastle Diet?

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Perhaps it is a posh version of the Newcastle Diet?
I may have got mixed up.....all I know is that it's 600 calories with drinks and another 200 calories with green veg.

But it is definitely working.... Going to try and replacing the shakes with 200 calories of solid food. But 200 calories is not a lot really.
I will have a search around to find out how other people are coping with the diet

Ta John

Raspin

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Try 200 calories of non-starchy veg, broccoli, cauliflower and trimmed beans...you'd be surprised just how much 200 cals of that stuff is. It'll fill you up. :D

Also mushrooms, low carb, very very low calorie. A stir fries can be good too.:)

I think that its recommended that you eat 200 cals of veg on the diet so you have something to keep you regular and provide some roughage. I think it usually stated as 3 x 200 cal shakes/soups and 1 x 200 cal vegetables.

Glad to hear its going well :)

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have lost about 1 stone in weight since starting the diet.

Iam slowly replacing the drink replacements meals with real food.

Tonight I had curried prawns, then I had small bowl of porridge rreading was 5.3 1 hour later

Not bad really

I recommend trying this diet

Ta John

rackellsie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi John. Well done you! Keep it up, but from my very limited experience just watch out for the slippery slope.

I was doing really well on ND (1st 9lbs weight loss in just over four weeks) then I totally fell off the wagon. I was dreaming of prawns, ham etc and when I did try to adapt the diet the slippery slope turned into an avalanche of eating ****. I put couple of pounds back on in less than week, BUT I am back on track again today and am going to go for another 3 - 4 weeks before trying to slowly introduce LCHF to keep the weight coming off (I've got a lot to get off and I know I couldn't stick to shakes and veg for as long as it will take).

As I have only been diagnosed just over a month ago with 6.7% I am hoping all the hype and the fact Diabetes Uk have invested a couple of million to continue the research means it is worth it. I actually think once you start to eat "real food" your body starts to crave it more, hence the fact I am going to TRY to keep with the shakes, but clearly everyone is different and we just need to do our best for ourselves.

Good luck!!

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for that advice
I dont think I will touching bread and potatoes much in the future as they seem to cause much of the damage.
Prawns are good.....very low in calories. Rhubarb is good as well especially with porridge.
Just see how it goes

Ta John

target6point4

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello John,

I am very pleased to find someone else trying out the newcastle diet on this forum. I am trying it for the scond time starting this week after giving it a shot nearly 6 months ago and then falling off the horse (metaphorically of course) badly after the first 3 weeks. Back then my fasting numbers had gone from around 12 to 6 in just 3 weeks.

I have started again this week and have already seen my numbers fall from 12 to around 7.2. The only piece of advice I can give you is to stick to the diet as far as possible and not give in to temptation. I say this because in today's day and age we are surrounded by carbs and sugars everywhere. If you have seen progress till now, I think that a further few weeks of soups and veggies can only do you more good.

Keep up the good work and keep us posted.

Cheers,
Shailesh

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ta for reply

I have been replacing the drinks with real food..porridge, lean meats, veg soups, roasted tomatoes peppers onions and the levels are still low.

I had a reading of 4.6 yesterday but felt very tired....

Have another 3 weeks on low diet to go but I think I will just carry on having alternatives of healthy foods and shakes full time.

I think to maintain thte low levels means saying bye bye to breads, chips/potatoes, scones/cakes, fried foods sausages, beer , chocolate, sweets etc for good now.....go

A bit of excercise washing the car and gardening helps too.

I am 80KG so I dont want to lose much more weight

see what happens Ta John