ANyone???

Shortbread

Dislikes
Assumptions, arrogance, bad service
Hi there,

well I have been on my medication for about a week now, and really trying to eat as low carb as is possible for me right now.

Now I wonder if anyone could answer this for me...............some nights I can sleep right through from say about 12-6am and then other nights I'm up at least twice having to go to toilet(urine).

I wondered if it was about the specific types of carbs I'm eating on different days? For example on Sunday I had a few potatoes and some Yorkshire pudding............and was up 3 times to the toilet, whilst last night, I had a stir fry and slept right through!

Any ideas, I would really appreciate any input???

Hope you are all well? xx

suzi

Dislikes
people who are rude and ignorant, and people who have no patience in queues.
Hi Shortbread,
I don't know much about T2, but i do know if my son's blood sugars are running a little high before bed, then he's guareented to be up a couple of times peeing during the night. So i'd advise checking your bs before bed if possible. If you have no way of doing that or your test strips are precious then try after you've eaten a big meal of carbs going for a brisk walk it may help to burn them off and stop the nightly visits to the toilet. Hope this helps though i know a more educated T2 will be along shortly to give you the best advise possible.
Take care,
Suzi x

Aadrgon

Hi Shortbread

Don't have that problem myself during the night fortunately but I think Suzi may well be right :)

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya shortbread,
i tend to need a wee more as my bloods rise over 7mmol so check your bloods and u might be high :D

EricD

Dislikes
Bullies and sockpuppets. Not being able to eat I want.
It doesn't matter what I eat I wake up every night at least once even though my BG is always <7 but I do drink a lot of tea and water so might be because of that.

Trinkwasser

I have quite a correlation between my postprandial BG and nocturia. So long as I stay below 7 I only need one pee (which is probably age and coffee related)

If I hit 8 I can guarantee one extra nocturnal pissing trip.

Once I hit 10, however briefly, I will be up and down every few hours and it takes about 12 hours to calm down again. Yet another reason I favour tight control

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I never let my BG go over 6 and get up pretty much every night. My DSN says it's my age and the fact I'm a woman.

PRINNY

hi everyone i was up two or three times a nite for a toilet trip, but i have noticed since i have started low carbing i havnt been going as often in fact last night i slept right through apart from waking up with the dreaded hot flushes, there must be something in this low carbing lark, i have lost a few pounds too! all the best, prinny.

Shortbread

Dislikes
Assumptions, arrogance, bad service
Hi there ,

I really appreciate all your replies! I asked about a BS monitor and was fiercely told..."no we dont give them out simply because, ok you get your BS reading and so what, what you going to do about it??? , so no, we dont give them out"

Nice eh, good to see that have such faith in all their patients!!! I guess a lot has to do with funds, but how can i check to see what food does what( the nurse said it didnt really matter as all foods affect it, so monitors dont really help) a nother blatant attempt at justifying why I didnt need one!!!

I feel a wee bit peeved at this, and wondered if anyone could tell me if they do actually help in monitoring what food will spike my BS??

I think Im gonna keep with the low carb and just see how it goes, I have lost a good few pounds so its helping in that dept!!!

Once again, thank you all for your input!!!

C xxx

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Shortbread
I use a Bg monitor and a food diary all the time at present because of a change in treatment (T2 on Byetta) so need to be careful I don't get a hypo. They are fairly cheap to buy so don't expect them for free off the NHS. The biggest expense is the test strips and lancets so if you do get one try and get your GP not the Nurse to prescribe them for you. Be prepared to state your case if refused.
I am also on reduced carbs as well which is also helping to reduce my BS.
Don't give up.
Ken

Trinkwasser

hanadr said:
I never let my BG go over 6 and get up pretty much every night. My DSN says it's my age and the fact I'm a woman.

Hey men do that too you know!

I remember a conversation at work several years ago where someone pointed out that if you drink the same amount in winter as you do in summer, since you sweat less you will need to pee more. That can also be a factor.

Trinkwasser

Shortbread said:
Hi there ,

I really appreciate all your replies! I asked about a BS monitor and was fiercely told..."no we dont give them out simply because, ok you get your BS reading and so what, what you going to do about it??? , so no, we dont give them out"

An alternative point of view

http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org/NewlyDiagnosed.htm

this has been demonstrated to work many many times over many many years

Unfortunately it almost inevitably leads you to eat fewer carbs than your nurse has (almost certainly) told you to.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Hi Trink
My nurse was probqably thinking of the bladder weakness many women have as a result of childbirth. She knows, but has probably forgotten, that my only child is adopted.

Trinkwasser

hanadr said:
Hi Trink
My nurse was probqably thinking of the bladder weakness many women have as a result of childbirth. She knows, but has probably forgotten, that my only child is adopted.

If she forgets many more things, ask if she's on statins <G>