opportunity to go on pump....

bonerp

Should I though?? Heres a few of my thoughts:

My control is not great and has never been. HBA1C usually between 8-13. The 8 score is rubbish as its an average of bouncing - thats all! I have retinopathy and thats my biggest concern now.

I like the ideas behind the pump but have the following concerns.....
I'm a single guy aged 37. In and out of relationships. It worries me the response I will receive when any future lady friend see's I'm attached to machinery! And please dont come back with 'well if she walks shes not worth it' cos if I first met someone I would be a little freaked too seeing a pump and especially the canular! I've gotta consider this - call me vain or naive I'm looking for positive comments not negative ones!!!!

Secondly I am fairly active i bed - by that I mean I fidget and toss and turn all night. I can see myself pulling it out, strangling myself or knocking it about all night.

3rdly I use the gym a fair bit. I know you can take it off for an hour or so, also when swimming for example. So whats the score here?

and finally what do you do when you have a shower or bath with the canular?!??! is the holder bit totally waterproof? Also when you bend over or flex - wont that dislodge the thingy tape stuff???

Thanks in advance. Its gonna be a big change and an emotional ride if I decide to go for it? Your views and probably equaly concerns are appreciated.

Paul

Addy

Hello,
I have been on the pump since september so i thought i'd have a go at answering a few of your questions.
I've not yet met anyone who has been freaked out by the pump, they have all been very interested and asked questions about it. I can't say anything about stuff relationship wise as i'm single.
i tend to toss and turn at night a lot aswell and so far it hasn't been a problem, i tend to put my pump in the pocket of my pjs but i have also got a soft elasticated belt which i also use and is very comfortable. The pump is quite tough, i've rolled over on it and dropped it and it's fine.
I don't swim, but i do know that you can detach the pump for an hour or so, when you reconnect the pump you do a finger prick test and do an insulin adjustment if neccessary. I regulary climb mostly indoors but i also do some stuf outdoors, i was climbing outside today and wearing a harness is no problem and i had to squeeze into some pretty tight spots and the pump was fine.
When i bath or shower, the pump is removed but the cannula can be left in and it creates a self seal but with the cannulars are caps which can be placed over the end to create an extra seal, which i also tend to do.
the sticky pad bit on the cannula is very sticky and doesn't move when its on, climbing is pretty bendy at times and theres no movement. there are several types of cannula you can use, i use a tenderlink teflon cannula, which is for active lifestyles, the cannula is introduced at 45 degrees and flexs with your body.
Hope this helps
Good luck with whatever you decide
Adele

...falling is not the problem, it's when you land...

sugar

HI,

Alas, I have no experience of the pump...but we do share a similar medial history (age and retinopathy anyway) I would jump at the chance of a pump. I used to look at an american website, where most of the people were on pumps...and their control was fantastic...so I would go for it.

As for the relationships bit...well, I am married, but doing injections freaked out a few previous boyfriends. It is not easy, and won't insult you with the comment you asked not to hear, but I am guessing any future relationships you have may be with grown up women, rather than young girls...and us grown ups aren't so easily freaked out!
Good luck...let us know what you decide,
Jill

JOJO

Hi.

My GP said I may get the chance to start using a pump but they are expensive so I have to wait and see for a few months.
A friend of mine at work uses a pump and she thinks its fantastic! Takes a bit of getting used to with knowing the exact amount of carbs you are eating but her bm is now very stable.We are paramedics so quite an active job, having the cannula in situ has not caused her a problem yet.

:) Jo

bonerp

Thanks for that. On Thursday I had my meeting with my SDN and roche came along with their Accu Chek pumps followed by Medtronic with their Paradigm pumps.
The ok has been given for my SDN to apply to the PCT for funding - just need to choose a pump.
Anyone with experience of these - any pros and cons of each?
With the Accu-Chek pumps you get a spare pump, not with the Medtronic ones, although the expert user options look more advanced on the Metronic pumps and I like the bolus wizard too.
Recommendations??
Thanks again!
Paul

Addy

I have the Accu-chek spirit pump, i saw the medtronic pump aswell but prefered the look of the spirit and it is great but sorry i can't really give any comparitives, as i don't really know anything about the medtronic pump.
Addy

...falling is not the problem, it's when you land...

SweetSquirrel

Paul,

Your concerns were the same as what I had. My DSN suggested pump, as my BGs have been all over the place. But I wasn't at all keen on the thought of being attached to something 24/7, and inserting a cannula! I joined this group - insulinpumpers. After reading a few posts, and asking some questions on there I decided to opt for pump. Haven't started it yet, waiting for an appointment in the New Year to go on a pump training course.

Everyone who is on pump would never go back to MDI, and they say it's the best decision they've made about their diabetes. Not saying it's going to be easy, a lot to learn, but I'm sure it will be worth it! I would stronlgy recommend you to join this group and post your concerns on there, they are a very helpful bunch on people.

Best Wishes

Beth
x

bonerp

Beth,
You werent on the same meeting as me on 29th were you at gwh?!

Insulin pumpers doesnt look very active and up to date!

Paul

Fugs

Ignoring the spam lol.
I had a medtronic pump for 5 weeks until it was decided that it wasn't working.
The pump was fine & I just stuffed it under my pillow at night which was fine til I used to go to the loo half asleep and had the pump clanking on the floor behind me lol.
A lot of people, myself included, have had problems with the sets, what with canulas bending and the set moving so it might be worth you looking into.
It's easy to unclip for a shower etc.
It takes a while to get used to but its worth it

Out of my mind,
Back in 5 minutes

>^..^<

megan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
dishonesty and ********
I did the DAFNE / pump training approx 5 years ago. I have never been able to afford to go on to the pump and I would love to. my diabetes team were quite eager for me to find funding one year and then the next year they tried putting me off it and said that also I was not close enough to a hospital if I ran in to trouble whislt on the pump and they didn't really want to take that risk.

I would take a lot in my stride but find that sometimes there may be scare mongering where its not entirely necessary.
I want to be well. I want to feel well. I want to have good blood sugar control and get my weight back down. Unfortunatley years of effort has led to a certain level of anxiety and now after a few experiences I find myself on antidepressents to about to start cognitive behavioural therapy.

so fingers crossed, to good health and getting some financial and emotional as well as physical support to get on the pump or what ever is going to make a difference!
what about the real time pump and glucose monitoring system?

the eternal optimist! :lol: