Confused

I was diagnosed as type 1, four years ago aged 32, now I've just left the diabetic resource centre and they now think that I may be type 2, so I've now been moved onto tablets (gliclazide) for a week and have to record everything to see how I go, obviously if my sugars climb too high I've to start back on my insulin, I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this before!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. At age 32 and if not overweight then you may be Late onset T1 (LADA). Some HCPs haven't got clue about the range of diabetes types and assume you are either T1 or T2. Late onset T1 can come on at greatly varying speed. The clues are a loss of weight around diagnosis. There are two tests for T1 but they are not conclusive. Gliclazide sounds sensible if you are not overweight and possibly have failing islet cells. If you do have excess weight then it is possible you are T2, but you are young. How were you diagnosed as T1 in the first place?

Reactions: 2 people
Weight loss and the usual type 1 symptoms, I used to be 15 stone but that was through training I was in the army twelve years, I'm 6', I'm now 13 and a half stone, I lost all my muscle and it turned to fat due to a job change ( drove a taxi)where I basically did no exercise, I'm now 13 and a half stone and have a physically demanding job, and have had to massively reduce my insulin dose, I was on humilin m3 twice a day, 32 units in a morning and 34 on a night time, over the last few months I've changed my diet, I'm not low carbing and never have, now I can get away taking 4-6 units when I'm active and at work and 8-10 units when I'm on a day off and lazing around the house and I'm still getting readings of between 4-8 two hours after I've eaten, it's honestly got me baffled considering I've experienced highs of 28 before, I'm only trialling the tablets and I'm being closely monitored by the diabetic team, I just don't understand after 4 years how this could happen!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I think Diabell may have touched on something here. Just monitor your bg levels and report back to your diabetes team.

Alan S

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Snake oil salespeople and other slime who try to profit from our condition.
I was diagnosed as type 1, four years ago aged 32, now I've just left the diabetic resource centre and they now think that I may be type 2, so I've now been moved onto tablets (gliclazide) for a week and have to record everything to see how I go, obviously if my sugars climb too high I've to start back on my insulin, I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this before!

Interesting. Mis-diagnosis usually occurs in the other direction, with people who are really T1, LADA or MODY mis-diagnosed as T2s then later changed.

What are your dietary, testing and recording instructions?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Thanks for the update. I would certainly go the low-carb route as it will make it easier to determine the true diagnosis by removing any remaining insulin resistance and helping blood sugar anyway. You can then discuss the way forward with the team.

I'm to test four times a day, before breakfast, lunch and evening meal and then before bed, and to use ketostix twice a day, as for recording results my meter does that, plus I have been given a diary to record my results, my DN is ringing me on Monday and Wednesday, and I have an appointment to see her Friday to see where we are at, it's only been 24 hours since I've started on the tablets, but so far they seem to be ok, results are not perfect, but seem a lot more stable than when I was injecting, only time will tell though, and I'm Definately going to go down the LCHF route, the hard part about that is I work away so spend my week in a hotel and I also work night shift, so I'm limited to canteen food, I'll get there though!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Like your username! I'm a fan of Motown, Northern Soul, Philly sound.

Alan S

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Snake oil salespeople and other slime who try to profit from our condition.
I'm to test four times a day, before breakfast, lunch and evening meal and then before bed, and to use ketostix twice a day, as for recording results my meter does that, plus I have been given a diary to record my results, my DN is ringing me on Monday and Wednesday, and I have an appointment to see her Friday to see where we are at, it's only been 24 hours since I've started on the tablets, but so far they seem to be ok, results are not perfect, but seem a lot more stable than when I was injecting, only time will tell though, and I'm Definately going to go down the LCHF route, the hard part about that is I work away so spend my week in a hotel and I also work night shift, so I'm limited to canteen food, I'll get there though!
Those are the tests required for your doctor to assess your progress. Please consider some additional testing for your own information to help you make the best canteen food choices to improve your blood glucose levels. Click on this for more detail: Getting Started