Anonymous Question Should blood tests be fasting all the time?

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If the test he is having is an A1c (the usual regular test for diabetics), there is no need to fast as it uses a measurement unrelated to food consumption.

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If the blood test for diabetes also includes one for cholesterol, then it should be fasting, although some doctors don't follow this rule. However, they should follow it. An ordinary blood glucose test should also be fasting. The HbA1c does not need fasting.

Alan S

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Snake oil salespeople and other slime who try to profit from our condition.
Anonymous question submitted:

My partner has blood tests for his diabetes but they are never fasting ones but every blood test I have is always fasting who is right his nurse or mine?

To submit a question, please go to
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/ask-an-anonymous-question.html
If the test is for his doctor to use when prescribing a change of regimen, then fasting or two hours after meals is likely to be the requirement. The doctor or nurse will advise the time required. He should do as they direct.

If the test is using his own meter at home to help him improve his own diabetes management, then he is the best person to decide when he should test.

As his partner I encourage you to read this: Diabetes etiquette for non-diabetics

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Not if it is an A1C test Alan, no requirement to fast as it relates to the blood sugar over the last 80 to 90 days.

Alan S

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not if it is an A1C test Alan, no requirement to fast as it relates to the blood sugar over the last 80 to 90 days.
I think you mis-read my post.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
You don't need to fast for a Hba1c test or if they are just checking your Total Cholesterol, however if they are doing a full-lipid breakdown of your cholesterol then you do need to fast for 10-12 hours before the test, you should also not drink alcohol the day before the cholesterol check.

Reactions: 5 people

iHs

Most blood test forms if printed on an A4 sheet of paper, will have at the top of the form on the righhand side, the words Please fast for 12hrs pror to testing. These words will also be bold printed to remind.

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I think you mis-read my post.
Um, nope. Medication is often changed here off of the back of an A1C which do not need to be fasted for unless incorporating the total cholesterol check.

Ali

Alan S

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Um, nope. Medication is often changed here off of the back of an A1C which do not need to be fasted for unless incorporating the total cholesterol check.

Ali
To refresh your memory this is what I wrote. I fail to see the relevance of your comment to mine. Note that I do not mention A1c. Nor does the OP. I have highlighted the important parts.

If the test is for his doctor to use when prescribing a change of regimen, then fasting or two hours after meals is likely to be the requirement. The doctor or nurse will advise the time required. He should do as they direct.

If the test is using his own meter at home to help him improve his own diabetes management, then he is the best person to decide when he should test.

As his partner I encourage you to read this: Diabetes etiquette for non-diabetics

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Most blood test forms if printed on an A4 sheet of paper, will have at the top of the form on the righhand side, the words Please fast for 12hrs pror to testing. These words will also be bold printed to remind.

I've never seen one of these.
Is it usual to give them out, or does it vary depending on local vagaries?

On the fasting thing - I've been asked to fast before oral glucose tolerance tests and fasting tests, but never been told before cholesterol. I will do it without being asked, in future, thanks @Bluetit1802 .

And no one has ever suggested that a test be done more than 2 hours after eating.

@Alan S
I think that some of your posts assume diabetes care is either internationally universal, or should conform to a standard that you hold. This has certainly not been my experience.

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
To refresh your memory this is what I wrote. I fail to see the relevance of your comment to mine. Note that I do not mention A1c. Nor does the OP. I have highlighted the important parts.

Oh dear, another member that thinks it is ok to talk down to everybody and entirely miss the point. I remember now why I stopped visiting this forum. I have yet to see a decent reply by you on any of the threads on this board. :-(

iHs

I've never seen one of these.
Is it usual to give them out, or does it vary depending on local vagaries?

On the fasting thing - I've been asked to fast before oral glucose tolerance tests and fasting tests, but never been told before cholesterol. I will do it without being asked, in future, thanks @Bluetit1802 .

And no one has ever suggested that a test be done more than 2 hours after eating.

@Alan S
I think that some of your posts assume diabetes care is either internationally universal, or should conform to a standard that you hold. This has certainly not been my experience.

I would think that if you had to fast for this blood test, the GP would have told you verbally or written in bold somewhere on the bloodtest form given you. If you are still not sure, then you could always telephone the surgery or if at hospital, phone the consultants secretary

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would think that if you had to fast for this blood test, the GP would have told you verbally or written in bold somewhere on the bloodtest form given you. If you are still not sure, then you could always telephone the surgery or if at hospital, phone the consultants secretary

Yes, but I've never seen a blood test form. Didn't even know they existed!

I have been verbally told to fast, but that information varies depending on who gives it - length of fast is a perfect example. I've been told 'nothing after 10 the night before' and 'nothing after dinner' and 'just don't have breakfast' and 'only water' and ' not even water'.
All of these have been for standard fasting BG tests.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
HbA1c doesn't need to be fasting.
Some people with T2 report having regular fasting glucose so that would need to be fasting.
Total cholesterol doesn't normally need to be fasting. (it's not so informative but many people seem to have just this test)
A lipid profile is most usually fasting (ie a test that looks at levels of total cholesterol/HDL/triglycerides and then calculates LDL .)

Recent evidence suggested that it isn't really necessary to fast for a lipid profile and I suppose some doctors/hospitals may have decided to implement this. (my lab in France has big notices about what tests need fasting or stopping medication, they always check and wouldn't test if you hadn't complied)
http://www.pulsetoday.co.uk/clinica...ests-not-needed/20000896.article#.U9682JpBvcw

There are some times for fasting here:
http://www.esht.nhs.uk/pathology/phlebotomy/instructions/

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You don't need to fast for a Hba1c test or if they are just checking your Total Cholesterol, however if they are doing a full-lipid breakdown of your cholesterol then you do need to fast for 10-12 hours before the test, you should also not drink alcohol the day before the cholesterol check.

Thank you for this clarification! I was just about to start a new thread ask about this with respect to my last test where I got my HbA1c result plus just a total cholesterol result. It wasn't a fasting one. Previously I'd had the full LDL and HDL works as well - I really would have liked to see these results as my level was up to 4.9 from a rather low 2.7.

Robbity

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, but I've never seen a blood test form. Didn't even know they existed!

Pre diabetes, my normal doctor would print off and give me a blood test form, tell me if I needed to fast, and let me arrange my "vampire" appointment with the nurse. It's basically a checklist of what (in our surgery's case they require the hospital lab) to test for. I can't remember - but I think, if you need a wee test, it also covers this. This time round for my "annual" diabetes checkup I was told that the nurse would already have my test form to send off.

Robbity

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Thank you for this clarification! I was just about to start a new thread ask about this with respect to my last test where I got my HbA1c result plus just a total cholesterol result. It wasn't a fasting one. Previously I'd had the full LDL and HDL works as well - I really would have liked to see these results as my level was up to 4.9 from a rather low 2.7.

Next time you book the appointment make sure to say it's for a fasting cholesterol check, then when the nurse takes the blood mention to them that it's for a full-lipid breakdown (and that you have fasted for the previous 12 hours).

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I did ask but they said it wasn't a fasting test, and I never though more of it, until I realised I hadn't got the full results.... I'll know better next time, and I'm thinking about asking at my follow-up appointment if they will do the full test for me.

Robbity