Unplanned pregnancy?

Stephanie1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, I Am a type 1 diabetic and I have just found out I am pregnant which was unplanned, should I be worried? Has this happened to anyone else? I am really scared there is going to be complications as they say it has to be planned if you have diabetes. Any opinions are welcomed, thanks

JessP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Stephanie,
Firstly congratulations on your pregnancy! Don't panic, lots of people with diabetes have unplanned pregnancies any don't have problems as I'm sure some others on this forum will vouch.
Have you contacted your diabetes team? They will want to see you ASAP to get things on track. An important thing at this stage is the high dose folic acid (5mg daily) which your GP can prescribe for you if you have to wait to see the diabetes team. Do Orion know what your last hba1c was?
I hope things get sorted out soon. I've found this forum really helpful so hopefully some others will be able to give you some more advice.
Best wishes,
Jess

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 4 people

andy1971

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
peas and doctors... well you asked!
Hey there Stephanie!
First off congratulations! secondly, you need to not worry about your diabetes. "They say" you should plan it? The doctors will advise you best way possible, planned or not toots so really you shouldn't worry.
Get in touch with them and share the good news!... and don't worry! ;)

Reactions: 3 people

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Congratulations Stephanie .
Totally agree with everything jess has had to say . Brilliant advice .
  • Hba1c
  • 5 mg folic acid
  • Contact gp
Oh one more thing I just thought off pre meal readings should be between 3.5 - 5.9 and 1 hour post meals under 7.8 .

Everyone on here are lovely especially all the girls on the pregnancy forum .

Enjoy and good luck
:):):)

Stephanie1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks a lot, puts my mind at ease!
My last hba1c was 80.0 mmol which I think is quite poor but I have had some time of it trying to get it under control as I have only been diagnoised for a year. I have been to see the doctor and they put me on the 5mg of folic acid and they also gave me vitamin D to take aswell. I phoned my diabetic nurse and seeing them tomorrow and hopefully find out a bit more then about it as I don't have a clue haha. Thanks guys

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's brilliant , even though it was un planned , you have taken all the right steps on whats best for baby .
It's also good that you have been working on bringing your levels down . Do you know how long ago your hba1c was taken .
They should send you off for a current one now they know you are pregnant . Good luck with your appointment tomorrow , you will have to let us know how you get on .

Best wishes .

Reactions: 2 people

Stephanie1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think it was only a month ago my last hba1c was taken. I went and seen them and they said to keep blood sugars between 4-6 before meals, but I feel I take a hypo at 5 so this is going to be hard but am sure I will manage.

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think it was only a month ago my last hba1c was taken. I went and seen them and they said to keep blood sugars between 4-6 before meals, but I feel I take a hypo at 5 so this is going to be hard but am sure I will manage.
That's brilliant that you have now been given advice and guidance from diabetes team .
I know it does sound like a right mission to achieve these goals , but we will all do our best for baby or in most of our cases babies to be lol .
But it does feel like you have to ' retrain your body as such ' to feel good on the readings we need to achieve . It's all going to be fun and games , but can imagine will be so worth it .

You will have to keep us informed , good luck and best wishes throughout your pregnancy

kirstfinley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Congrats on your pregnancy! Lovely news, definitely contact your diabetic team or gp straight away. Dont panic! Just do the best you can do to get it on track now :) Every tiny little thing you do to manage right will help! x

kirstfinley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
P.s this forum is amazing!! I am 22 23 in aug and me and my partner are planning to try my control is not great but am getting on track! And before coming on here never new there was a preconception clinic! The girls are lovely too x