Joys of Metformin! (just starting today :) )

captainpixie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots, bullies,politicians, David Cameron, Nick Clegg, Ian Duncan smith, racist, homophobes, people unwilling to learn, to tolerate, to listen and in turn be listened too. animal abuser's and people who just don't think about what they say and how it can or could affect the people around them.
I keep calling it it metaform in my head (sounds like a transformer doesn't it, hehe)

sooo, got the tablets today. I'm on 500mg, 3 times a day but i have to work up to that.

My lovely pharmacist (who is also one my closer friends) gave me some tip's. I was advised to start taking one of the little buggers at lunch time, but as i go to Uni Tue/Thurs he said don't do it, it won't end well lol. so he told me to start taking it with my evening meal first off.

so far I SEEM to be ok.

Thing is I'm on 20mg a day of solifenacin succinate as well and that stuff backs you up whereas Metformin makes everything loose.

I wonder if this means that I shall pass digested food normally now! would be nice ;P

captainpixie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots, bullies,politicians, David Cameron, Nick Clegg, Ian Duncan smith, racist, homophobes, people unwilling to learn, to tolerate, to listen and in turn be listened too. animal abuser's and people who just don't think about what they say and how it can or could affect the people around them.
woke up this morning with a headache and feeling very nauseous, have eaten some porridge which settled it down, now it feels a bit like y tummy at the beginning stage of feeling like throwing up!

it's going to be an interesting month!

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't take it personally but I've heard stories about those early days. Apparently it does get better!

Blogging at drivendiabetic.wordpress.com

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I hope it gets better for you, I personally had no problems when starting to take the tabs ...interesting thing is many seem to have problems ie tummy upsets etc....how diverse we all are ...

purplekat

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, X Factor (and all similar shows), soaps (corrie, east enders etc), hot weather
Hopefully you're right, and the two different medications will mean your side effects aren't too bad. What I found when I started was that I had to cut out a lot of foods until things settled down - however these were all things I would have needed to cut down anyway (fizzy drinks, pizzas) so it helped with the initial getting used to going without.
It took a good couple of months for me to get used to the doseage - I was going to approach the doctor about the slow-release one, but things started to settle down so I left it.
I've had no other side effects from it, other than an increase in energy :)

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Did you get the Slow release metformin, it's more gentle if you have tummy problems