Can't get below 5 readings

spats

I have very weird unexplained sensations in my feet. Told the Dr and nurse and podiatrist but they seem relaxed. The Dr did mention peripheral neuropathy but didn't follow it up. If it is that it's early stage but I read that low bs levels could resolve it but it hasn't for me - so could be something else? I dunno...
Hi ! Do you take statins - they can cause similar pains!!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thing is, Pavlos, I don't know for how many years I have had diabetes. And you don't need very high levels for neuropathy to develop.

I have had the foot check but my GP wasn't particularly interested in what I told him. Next week I am going with hubby on his appointment with a neurologist consultant so will mention my toes while there.

And I don't think it is very much they can do, is there? I can however keep my bg as normal as possible - none of my friends go above 6.5 when tested by the way, so that is was I consider normal - and keep on not smoking.

Totto - I'm wondering if the changes to your feet sensations are related to your smoking cessation.

My mother was a lifelong smoker, who, nearing the end of her life, discovered she had significant vascular damage to her feet and legs. On diagnosis of this, and in crisis, she gave up smoking, like throwing a switch. I guess she had the motivation, and the reason to be determined that she had never had before; despite my lifelong nagging. She had always protested that she enjoyed smoking.

As her crisis abated, I went with her to see the vascular consultant (who was very pleased with her), and the strongest message he could give my mother was that she must never, ever, ever smoke again. He stressed that a single cigarette has an impact on vascular conditions such as hers, and the single cigarette could throw her back into crisis. She didn't ever smoke again, to the best of my knowledge.

But, at last to the point (!!), she did say that after a very short while her feet became "very sensitive", and certainly her walking improved significantly. Quite clearly there had been years of creeping de-sensitisation going on.

I'm not suggesting you have clinical vascular damage, but just relating how quickly the consultant suggested vascular behavior is impacted by smoking, and/or stopping.

Well done. It's one of the best decisions you will ever make.

Sorry @VinnyJames - I know my post is way off-topic..

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thing is, Pavlos, I don't know for how many years I have had diabetes. And you don't need very high levels for neuropathy to develop.

I have had the foot check but my GP wasn't particularly interested in what I told him. Next week I am going with hubby on his appointment with a neurologist consultant so will mention my toes while there.

And I don't think it is very much they can do, is there? I can however keep my bg as normal as possible - none of my friends go above 6.5 when tested by the way, so that is was I consider normal - and keep on not smoking.
All I am saying is rather than diagnosing yourself with neuropathy, it's probably best to have a doctor check that it is not something else, that can be easily treated.

I have no argument against keeping your bloods in the non diabetic range for as long as possible although I am not sure what the 6,5 you are referring to relates to. Is this a 2- hour post prandial glucose count?

Although I have not tested much at one hour post prandial lately, I am working to personal targets of:
- after one hour: 140mg/dl( 7,8mmol)
- after two hours: 120mh/dl (6,7mmol)

At two hours, I am usually back under 100mg/dl (5,6 mmol) in reality.

Good luck with the neurologist appointment.

Pavlos

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I also have neuropathy in my feet in my despite my blood glucose not being particularly high at diagnosis (A1c of 6.5 and 6.8 %). :meh: But I think it has more to do with how high your blood sugar goes, rather than the average number the A1c gives. My fasting BG has always been in the normal/low prediabetic range, so I'm guessing my BG was going quite high after meals. The symptoms definitely improved after I got my BG under control. Having said all that, I can't say for sure it was caused by high blood glucose.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have peripheral neuropathy in both feet, caused by chemotherapy drugs. It's a common side effect. It is nothing to do with my diabetes. I still have full feeling in all areas and a strong pulse, so no need for me to worry. However, I do get the tingly feeling, sometimes burning, and sometimes I feel like my socks are all rucked up inside my shoes, when they aren't. However, it is getting better and according to my oncologist will disappear completely once the nerves have repaired themselves, which they do eventually.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Have you tried exercise? If you really want to see lower figures a bit of exercise is great for using up those sugars. A brisk walk for even half an hour will make a difference.
That will not work as he is on LC and is in ketosis so therefore his muscles are in fat burning mode and not glucose burning

Reactions: 2 people
C

catherinecherub

There are several causes of neuropathy and they are not all diabetes related.
This article is worth reading.

Neuropathy is not a single disease - instead, it is a complication found in a number of different underlying medical conditions. It can also be seen without the cause being diagnosed, when doctors called it "idiopathic.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/147963.php

Reactions: 3 people

hose1975

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As others have mentioned, peripheral neuropathy can have several causes. For example, being deficient in, or having a low-normal level of, vitamin b12 can cause neuropathy in the feet and hands.

Reactions: 4 people

this is too difficult two

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I did a flawed home made OGTT in Feb ( it was early days for me and I failed to do a baseline test) that came back non diabetic.
But after the problem with my feet I accepted the diagnosis. It's like pins and needles but with a tight feeling round the foot and on occasions I get a very light sensation in my fingers.

I never got round to doing another OGTT as the thought of all them carbs again was too unpleasant.
That is exactly how it started with me. It was worst in my pinkies. The finger feeling is coming back so time for another injection.

this is too difficult two

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There are several causes of neuropathy and they are not all diabetes related.
This article is worth reading.

Neuropathy is not a single disease - instead, it is a complication found in a number of different underlying medical conditions. It can also be seen without the cause being diagnosed, when doctors called it "idiopathic.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/147963.php
My wife has just been told it sounds like she has neuropathy for unknown reasons.

STEWBRU

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm pretty much the same usual reading are around 6. If I miss an afternoon snack the readings can go down to 4.5 and I do not feel that good.
After food back to my "normal". I also have high readings after some foods but that also back to usual after a few hours or do some exercise to burn it up. I take 1500mg Metformin a day and reducing if possible. Was on 2000mg.